Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:52:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685050
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 604
Total: 610

Recent

Author Topic: Breech-loading rifles  (Read 834 times)

Offline Plus Four

• Librarian
Breech-loading rifles
« on: March 22, 2019, 12:09:29 PM »
I’ve just read the post about using Matabele as Zulus and it appears to me that there is the similar issue about using muskets as breechloaders!

I’m sure the topic had been raised before and I seem to recall reading that early sniders were just repurposed muskets?

Figure wise, Foundry have the heavily-armed Askari and some of those could serve as native skirmishes and Northstar’s Matabele range has some armed with rifles.

So how does everyone deal with this issue?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Breech-loading rifles
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 12:45:54 PM »
Several early breech-loaders were modified muzzle-loaders, such as the British Snider-Enfield you mentioned, which was externally practically identical to the Enfield musket it was based on. It's not the only example, but it is the one that is always called to my mind, as they were used quite a bit, especially once the Martini came on the scene and the Brits started selling them off and issuing them to second-string units.

So I have no problem using muzzle-loaders as breech-loaders in games, as they were often so similar-looking as to not make a difference.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline RichBliss

• Librarian
  • With Lipbalm-Puce in the Congo
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 01:45:19 PM »
I use rifle armed troops as either muzzle loading or breech loading dependent on scenario needs.  I’ve got enough figures to paint without worrying about painting duplicates. 

Offline Plus Four

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 03:00:34 PM »
So I have no problem using muzzle-loaders as breech-loaders in games, as they were often so similar-looking as to not make a difference.

This does make it much easier to source the more native “gunmen” that crop up in lists!!