Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:37:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686605
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules for NAM - Any recommendations?  (Read 4114 times)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Rules for NAM - Any recommendations?
« on: March 23, 2019, 11:22:13 AM »
Wonder if anyone could give some advice about rulesets to use for Nam.

My idea is for skirmish games, to be playable in 120x180cms, although preferably 90x90. I had in mind to adapt Spectre Operations or Skirmish Sangin, although a friend of mine suggested to use either an adaptation of The Men Who Would be Kings (I don't see how it could work, to be honest) or Games Workshop Killteam ruleset (which looks easier to adapt to modern combat, actually).

Thanks in advance!

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Re: Rules for NAM - Any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 12:34:57 PM »
Osprey Black Ops? Minimal(basically no) adaptation required. Fits your space requirement. Not period specific, just a modern/contemporary skirmish set. 

I assume you ask for 28mm....
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 02:04:36 PM »
DMZ, a variant of Chain of Command, available on the Chain of Command FB page IIRC?
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 08:51:48 PM »
Force on Force? They even have a supplement specufic to Vietnam, albeit the info on the Australians is utter bollocks.

Charlie Company from RAFM was, at the time, a fairly innovative game designed for squad and platoon scale sections. It has the great advantage that it can be readily played as a solo game. They still sell it.

http://www.rafm.com/charlie/charlie.html
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2019, 09:47:22 PM »
For platoon based infantry Id second the Chain of Command variant. Also if you can find a copy of FNG by Two Hour Wargames or their Special Forces variant designed  specifically for Vietnam, FNG: Unconventional Warfare. Both if these have competitive, co-op, and solo rukes that work well.

I always liked the idea of Charlie Company, but doesnt it require a Gamemaster who plays the VC/NVA?

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2019, 10:27:22 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look CoC variant. I've played CoC WWII version and enjoyed the experience.

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 08:23:51 AM »
I have been thinking about to use the second edition of "Spectre Operations", or "Five Core".

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 10:04:49 AM »
When you use Killteam have a look here: https://freewargamesrules.fandom.com/wiki/Warhammer_Nam

Maybe it helps. I think I will use Disposable Heroes and Long Road south from Iron Ivan Games. Specter 2nd arrived yesterday, so i need to look in it in a quiet moment. I think it is more for this time and not for 1968...
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 10:26:45 AM »
My suggestion would be to go back a few years and look for rules such as;

Body Count. Very old and possibly to be found on Ebay. A bit complicated but full of fantastic ideas.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/26766/bodycount-wargames-rules-vietnam-war

Charlie Don't Surf. never played them but they read well.
https://toofatlardies.co.uk/product/charlie-dont-surf/

FNG. Not played these but they seem to flow very well.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/25575/fng

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 12:01:10 PM »
Wow! Great suggestions all! Thanks!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 07:37:01 AM »
For a bit of Retro, Hell and Fateful Decisions by Jim Webster. It is a long time since I read it but I do remember there was a lot about the effect of casualties on morale. Generic post WW1 ruleset.

I found all that Tabletop Games stuff:
http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2019/01/twilight-2000-reference-material-2.html
I should be able to find that.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 07:58:16 AM »
As a slightly off the wall suggestion (and has been discussed elsewhere), The Walking Dead: All Out War might work for a solo or cooperative game (playing as US and allies).

The Threat level mechanism handles the opposition reinforcements, the die colour quality of opponent and the Headshot/bite symbols indicate heavier weapons (again dependent on die colour).

Actions to reduce the Threat Level can be viewed as off table distractions drawing the opposition's attention away.

Additional mechanisms are needed for "AI" for the opposition, a simple decision tree would work, depending on their situation. Target priority based on the Noise or Mayhem rules (if you make Noise the nearest opponent with Line Of Sight shoots at you, if you make Mayhem, every opponent with LOS and in response range shoots at you).
Emplaced belt fed weapons can fire everytime (limited arc/LOS), everything else can "shoot" once (might have multiple shots)

Just a thought.

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 10:55:33 AM »
My go to rules are Force on Force: Ambush Valley, and find they accurately portray the claustrophobic jungle firefights using anything from 3 fireteams up to a reinforced platoon. I've played other periods using the rules with a full company and find the reaction system gets VERY complicated if too many units are in play.

I've also got all of the Skirmish Sangin books that I plan on using for some section level patrol actions. There are some basic Solo adaptions available on the Dishdash Forum that look promising. http://skirmishsangin.freeforums.net/thread/150/solo-rules.

Offline manchesterreg

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2019, 11:18:27 AM »
As a slightly off the wall suggestion (and has been discussed elsewhere), The Walking Dead: All Out War might work for a solo or cooperative game (playing as US and allies).

The Threat level mechanism handles the opposition reinforcements, the die colour quality of opponent and the Headshot/bite symbols indicate heavier weapons (again dependent on die colour).

Actions to reduce the Threat Level can be viewed as off table distractions drawing the opposition's attention away.

Additional mechanisms are needed for "AI" for the opposition, a simple decision tree would work, depending on their situation. Target priority based on the Noise or Mayhem rules (if you make Noise the nearest opponent with Line Of Sight shoots at you, if you make Mayhem, every opponent with LOS and in response range shoots at you).
Emplaced belt fed weapons can fire everytime (limited arc/LOS), everything else can "shoot" once (might have multiple shots)

Just a thought.

Must admit, that sounds a pretty good idea, certainly for a small Hue Board, say 4 by 4, could cut down on figures as well if solo, as the NVA would mostly be hidden, and imagined rather than on table figures.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2019, 01:45:14 PM »
Must admit, that sounds a pretty good idea, certainly for a small Hue Board, say 4 by 4, could cut down on figures as well if solo, as the NVA would mostly be hidden, and imagined rather than on table figures.
Good point, especially as one of the American frustrations was not finding any bodies.