Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:22:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First (and second!) game of Thud & Blunder  (Read 4581 times)

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
Re: First (and second!) game of Thud & Blunder
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2019, 12:28:20 PM »
Thank you for your kind words!
I should Say that my first criticism was totally unsubstantiated. The core combat system based on a single HP works perfectly and I love It, as the charts to calculate characteristic points.
One important question Is: why should I pay the same for less? For the background flavour... I did it, my Brother not and destroied me 3 times in 3 games, even if the First was more levelled. I don't play to win, but I don't have fun in being heavily underdog every time....
So for example a Natural armour should costs more than a phisical One, 10% more rounding up would be a good compromise.
A zombie that cannot run should cost 1 point less. And so on...
One other balancing thing regards magic. Positive magic Is much more effettive than negative (against enemies). I would take the cure repel spell for my monk, but since you can save from It with a DR (usually 3/4+), I wouldn't wasting time to cast It... On the other hand a spell like Bless Is super useful, since once you cast It Will empower a friend 100% of times...
I would suggest that even in this last case the friend should roll the DR to make the spell effective on him ( modified by the level spell)....

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2019, 01:05:43 PM »
Hi there,

I shall try and answer a few of your points:
1. All armour costs the same. If your armour is a mail coat or a scaly hide the cost is based upon the armour rating.
2. We did not consider the effect of restricting Zombies to walking only, so a small points reduction would be reasonable.
3. As for spells, have you taken into account the DR penalty for resisting Grade 1 & 2 powers? Also if all of your troops are base Destiny of 3+ or 4+ that is a pretty elite warband.
4. What is a "cure repel" spell?
5. I'm not sure that making a friend have to make a Destiny roll means you have to make two successful Destiny rolls to make one spell work is a good idea. I suggest you try it in a game and see how that works.
My sincerest contrafibularities
General Lord Craig Arthur Wellesey Cartmell (ret'd)
https://theministryofgentlemanlywarfare.wordpress.com/

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2019, 05:41:20 PM »
Hi,
1. I know It's so, but in this way Is not balanced.
Example: 1 lizardman with scaly armour and a knight with heavy armour are identical with an armour ratio of 13. So same points. But the lizardman has a full Natural armour....
A wizard cast spectral dart against both: the armour of the lizard remains 13, but the knight uses only his physical 7. Then they have to climb a Mountain: the knight has heavy encumbrance, so he can't, no problem for the lizard... The knight cannot use an eventual Speed bonus, while the lizard can. He cannot run and the lizard yes. Consequently the armour cost cannot be based only on Armour Ratio.
2. 1 point here, 1 point there makes on model less in the warband... If you have less you must pay less, even 1 single point....
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 05:47:20 PM by D. Brownie »

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2019, 05:51:44 PM »
3. Yes, but repel for ex. Is level 0, so no penalty. If 2/3 of the times my opponent save against It and empowering spells vs Friends work Always, I'll do Always the second.

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2019, 06:37:09 PM »
4. It's an error, I'm writing with my phone.... lol
5. Two subsequent DR as when you cast for example Curse on your enemy... No more, no less... Sunday I'll try

Obviously are all my opinions, a part from n°4....

Offline Craig

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Youth & Talent are no match for Age and Treachery.
    • The Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2019, 07:35:03 AM »
All good points DB and well made  :)

The game was designed with KISS being a key design principle and another being that we encourage players to use it as a toolkit and play around with it.

The points system is optional, and generally there for people who want to play balanced games. We know of a lot of players of our previous games who prefer to work without the points system altogether and they still seem to have lots of fun with the system.

And there is the third design principle, have fun. If that means you want carefully balanced forces do that. If you enjoy narrative adventure more then use the system as a set of guidelines.

We are really looking forwards to seeing what people do with the game, and we expect to be surprised at every turn  :D

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2019, 03:04:32 AM »
Another amazingly useful game overview, Hobgoblin. Consistently some of the best in these forums.
Scrum in Miniature (my gaming blog): http://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com
Scrum Con (my miniatures+RPG convention in Wash, DC): https://sites.google.com/view/scrum-con/home
Above the Fray Miniatures (my minis company): https://sites.google.com/view/abovethefrayminiatures/home