Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:41:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: French War Memorial  (Read 790 times)

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
French War Memorial
« on: March 25, 2019, 04:49:53 AM »
No self-respecting French town is without one, so it was about time this self respecting gamer had one for his table too. This was based on a 20mm Sgts Mess resin memorial that I've had for a few years, but somehow it always looked a little sad and lonely when placed on the table and so I decided to scratch build a more fitting base for it.

I have posted a step by step tutorial here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/2019/03/20mm-french-war-memorial.html

The original memorial was serviceable but not really much of a feature:

For only a little effort I think I've now got something befitting a village or town square:

Offline Borderguy190

• Bookworm
Re: French War Memorial
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 01:23:10 PM »
Looks much better. I need one for my French village. I just have not found a suitable model for 28mm.

In like the Charlie Foxtrot model buildings you have. There is a Tabac shop in my town also.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 01:45:52 PM »
Nice work :)

You're right; every self respecting French (or Belgian) village ought to have some sort of war memorial, be that 1st or 2nd World War.

Interestingly, I have a similar project on my desk right now. It stems from the fact that I bought a whole bag of soft, plastic toy soldiers for my little girl to paint up during our together time, which often involves us painting miniatures. And I bought that bag, because she was working through my store of expendable miniatures rather quickly, and she likes painting them too (often quite garishly).

So there are always a few of those sitting on my desk. And some time ago, I noticed three of them positioned in such a way, that it looked like one of those Soviet war memorials that could be found all over Eastern Europe back in the day (a lot of them have been removed or replaced since the nineties). And that gave me the idea of making one of those myself. It should be a pretty generic affair, that can be used for all matter of modern/near future and even 40K settings.

So I found 3 poses that worked well together, glued them on a 50mm square base, and built up a pedestal from stone textured plastic sheet (originally from a railroad terrain set of stone bridge columns). I had the hardest time prepping the minis, as the soft plastic does not lend itself to sanding or filing. So I had to remove mouldlines the old fashioned way; with the blade...

And there it sits, for now.

I still need to build up a set of steps underneath it, some supports/buttresses on the corners, and then a suitable plaque, but it's a fun thing to visit every now and then, as a change of pace or in between other projects... :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 07:20:20 PM »
I biked the width of France back in 2014 (Basel to Nantes, starting originally in Vienna) and saw a lot of these little village memorials. Sometimes they're just out in the country, too, at some seemingly random crossroads.

Great War memorials are a good little detail to help anchor a table in a post-WW1 environment. Nicely done!