Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:07:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690599
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 144 RAC Shermans with bogie wheels on their turrets  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
144 RAC Shermans with bogie wheels on their turrets
« on: March 26, 2019, 10:40:44 AM »
While reading British Tanks In Normandy by Ludovic Fortin, I noticed the description on page 71 of a Sherman carrying a spare bogie wheel on the right hand side of the turret. Once it was pointed out, it became noticeable on other photographs of 144 RAC Shermans (page 72 has number 23 carrying one and I have seen a photograph of 20 carrying one).

Is this specific to 144 RAC?
How were they attached?

Any help greatfully received.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
Re: 144 RAC Shermans with bogie wheels on their turrets
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 12:37:19 PM »
not familiar with the 144th RAC, but a similar attachment was seen on US Army M4A3E8 in Korea. In this case was a standardized field modification implement at the Tokyo Ordnance Depot. I have seen a picture in Zaloga's Tank Warfare in Korea from Concord. Basically there was a mounting rack welded to the turret side and the wheel was placed into it and then secured with some sort of clamps and rope/wire.  From the picture it appears a similar arrangement with a base rack holding the wheel and then some clamps, yet the rack appears simpler than the one used in Korea (it was shaped to hold the wheel).

Hope that this lateral reference helps.
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 02:33:31 PM »
Thanks.

I think they are unfortunately a different form.
Number 20 has the wheel sticking out on a bar.

Unfortunately no one seems to have a photograph of one looking at the right side.

The TOD one is shown on this photograph from the Minutia site..

You can just make out the four arms holding the wheel.

The IDF ones bolt the wheel on to a plate attached to a tube attached to the turret side.

There was a discussion here: http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=281.msg8390#msg8390
About adding an IDF style mount on my M4A3E8, and I still have not added it yet ^__^.

Unfortunately some of the photographs on the thread have evaporated.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 02:41:22 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 04:12:03 PM »
you are right, in number 20 picture there is definitaly  a bar passing in the wheel hole, but also some form of support beneath. From the picture it appear to be bolted or welded to the turret side. In number 23 picture it looks as it is roughly shaped to hold the wheel.  My educated guess is that the thing beneath is a simple form of 'rack' (I am not finding a more appropriate word) that supports the wheel, while the bar in the center keep it in position. Obviously (at least in my mind) there must be also some for of restrain to avoid the wheel falling off, probably rope/chain/wire. 

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 04:43:38 PM »
As I mentioned on the Rubicon thread, it is like one of those pictures which you think is a candlestick and then suddenly becomes two faces, there is more there than you think.

I had never seen the pieces that appear to support the bottom of the wheel, but now you mention it it is obvious.

Thanks for that.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 05:13:28 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »