Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:06:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686636
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Scratch built 28MM Artillery.  (Read 3592 times)

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
Scratch built 28MM Artillery.
« on: March 30, 2019, 09:14:48 AM »
Hi Chaps,

A few years ago I read a thread on here regarding a very talented model maker who scratch built an artillery piece and tractor out of cardboard! I was wondering if anyone had done something similar for 28MM WW1 type pieces?

To explain I am inbetween projects at the moment. I have had a clearout of my models and only kept one army! I was considering 10MM world war one but my eyesight is probably not up to it. Having seen the yesteryear conversions etc I am keen just to buy a few 28MM that could be used to convert/paint etc but I play solo and need to keep costs down. I also hear that Perry may be releasing a WW1 plastic range?

I look forward to any advice or links that you Guys could offer.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Scratch built 28MM Artillery.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 10:05:03 AM »
Are you thinking of these?
If so there is a tutorial over on the workbench tutorials.
Mark.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 10:40:49 AM »
Thats the one! Oh my days what superb work! Thanks for helping me locate it. I was hoping there may be a guide to something less ambitious as this looks very complex.

I feel like the Dean from Community when I gaze upon work like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNbeOx6pwMo

Thanks again

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 11:50:43 AM »
On page 30 and still not found it, has anybody got a direct link please as I am being distracted by some great links I don't expect to live long enough to ever find it

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 12:21:44 PM »
It's a little old:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=72816.0

There's also this thread (inspired by the above thread):
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=93855.0
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 01:13:44 PM »
Thank you so much Von you have saved what sanity I have left.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 02:24:27 PM »
The principles are simple and sound. So your pretty much able to build any piece of the time (As Over open sights found and ran with.)
But if you've a particular piece in mind and aren't sure . Feel free to pick my brains .

Mark.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 04:03:26 PM »
Thanks Mark, thats really kind of you and I am sure that I will be in contact...often! I am attempting to build a couple of 18pdrs from the first world war. The 6" howitzer would be great as well. I have the plastic tubing for barrels etc now I just need to work out a few basic sizes and shapes and I will begin. I will be using pre cut mdf wheels which are on order.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2019, 09:18:21 AM »
Hi,

Well it did not take long until I asked for help! Would someone be so kind as to let me know in MM how long the barrel should be on an 18Pdr 28MM model please? I have been searching for plans for one of these and nothing actually gives dimensions!

I would be happy with approximate dimensions and it looking "about right" ... tubing has been sourced, new blades and glue but getting the actual size of the gun is proving the most difficult.

Thanks in advance Guys.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2019, 09:40:22 AM »
Here you go.
96 inches is eight feet. So depending on what your using as your reference scale. For a fist attempt and for speed 6mm is easiest to get the hang of changing imperial to metric.Then your not worrying about artistic interpretation/license.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2019, 11:49:12 AM »
Thanks Tin Shed, you are being extremely helpful. My math is appalling but I now have a starting point, in no way was I ever attempting a scale model, just something to put on the table... even that is a little more difficult than I anticipated though!

Again thanks for the help, if the model turns out passable I will have saved myself a small fortune (for me anyway).

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 02:26:00 PM »

It's not you know. ;)
Your over thinking it. You'll be sat there trying to build a 13 pndr. When in reality what you need to do is build a series of squares, triangles,and circles. That glued together look a bit like a 13pndr.
So try and see each piece of the gun for what it really is. A handle is a circle with a smaller circle in the middle and sometimes a stick at one side.
The carriage is a rectangle with two triangles ( with the top point cut off.) A tube for the axle.and a tube for the trail arm with two small rectangle the bottom one with two corner cut off .towing eye is just a stick with a circle on the end.
Mark.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 06:34:52 PM »
Thanks Tin Shed that is re assuring.

I have the barrel part made...I have no idea how you managed this using cardboard. My model is oversized but so are a lot of the figures. I am hoping that it will just look OK for war gaming

Could I ask what you used for rivets? I believe it was nail art stuff? Not many needed for this model but it would be very handy for the future.

Thanks again

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 12:33:35 PM »
Well I took Tin Sheds advice and broke everything down into shapes as best I could. The gun is almost complete-I have no idea how to put a pic on here but will be putting some pics on my blog when the piece and crew are complete.

Thanks again for the help Mark (Tin Shed) I will shortly have a useable 18Pdr model at virtually no cost..... next up will be a little howitzer. Very cathartic and rewarding to do this even if the end result is a bit of an ugly duckling.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 12:51:20 PM »
Listen to Mark - he knows what he's on about. And everyone starts somewhere. If we had a perfect result every time we tried something new this would be a very boring hobby indeed!