Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:56:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Whiteout - polar stuff  (Read 21036 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Whiteout - polar stuff
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2019, 09:30:13 AM »
We played it last night as well. lol
Rich I'll drop you a line at the weekend to let you know how we got on as were going to try agin on friday with a replay as I need to reread the rules.(As the first run saw little more than starvation ,an amorous walrus and a preasure ridge.)

Mark.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2019, 12:14:25 PM »
OK thanks! 

Surprised that that - we had all sorts of death and destruction going on.  Pics will follow later!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2019, 08:00:55 PM »
You've not got my luck lol( played zombies afterwards and the helicopter arrived on the third board )
It's was that bloody dog eating provisions that did for them. So when the Walrus arrived everyone had reduced stats,so it was able to get amorous.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2019, 08:28:52 PM »
Oh I see!  lol

Offline Maddoc

• Librarian
« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2019, 12:35:44 PM »
Not sure if you WANT to see that...

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2019, 02:34:49 AM »
We're really grateful to Mark for his great sculpting.

What we have so far for definite in the project is:

•   Ski-doo kit (metal & resin kit)
•   Medium SnowCat & Trailer (MDF & Card Kit)
•   Large SnowCat (Resin Kit)
•   Arctic Science researchers (4 fig pack)
•   Skiers (4 fig pack)
•   Arctic soldiers (4 fig pack)
•   Sub Conning tower breaking through ice (MDF, Card, 3-Decals and resin)
•   Arctic research station (MDF & card)
•   Crashed Satellite / Camera Objective Marker (resin)
•   Jamesway Hut – Accommodation (MDF & card)
•   Jamesway Hut – Garage (MDF & card)
•   Expedition dome tent (resin)
•   Tramp steamer kit for Ice Bound Ship
•   Printed Whiteout Rulebook
•   Printed Whiteout cards

Marks just started on the first couple of stretch goals, as I'm pretty certain this is going to be popular.

This is the full list of stretch goals, how many we get done will be dependent on how much interest there is in the project.

•   Ice Station Zebra Character Pack
•   Soviet Paratroopers in Arctic Kit
•   Character pack based on ‘The Thing’
•   Dog Sledge Pack
•   Man pulled sledge pack
•   Arctic wildlife pack

I need this (like I need a hole in the head)
Can't  wait
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2019, 09:58:21 AM »
So our first proper go at trying the rules!

Richard and I set out on a daring mission to recover a film canister from a politically and environmentally sensitive area on behalf of a shady unnamed gov't agency.

Our party was rolled up and we decided it consisted of Jean Claude Van Damme, Sean Connery and Roy and Moss from the IT crowd.

So two heroes and 2 nerds ;)

It started badly...  Finding an isolated hut was a good start... finding there was a polar bear behind it was not!
It turns out that the polar bear as originally specced was an unstoppable monster and basically ate the whole party.  But that's what play testing is for!  So readjusted the stats and tried again.  Turns out Roy was a crack shot and felled the bear in two shots!  This time the polar bear was a huge threat but we managed to fell it before it ate anyone just about!

Once that was out of the way... we found more huts, a icebound ship and an airfield (well helicopter).   Aware of our mission we pressed on....

A pack of wolves was prowling abut we decided to leave them...  but that affects your overnight sanity checks... 

Bit of an oddity in that we had two lots of bad weather and a lot of good weather, we decided that actually it represented the weather over the day so you can get cold adn wet, then slightly less cold and wet then cold and wet again.

A vantage point loomed and Moss climbed up to have a look revealing the surrounding terrain - a Sno-Cat and another hut!  We cautiously approached the sno-cat looking to get a ride... but there was a sentry on guard and we moved on. 

Our last move of the evening saw us walk into a heavy patrol 4 soldiers armed to the teeth.  Having run out of ammo we had to move in to assault.
Again the balance was off and we adjusted the stats.  We ran out of time at this point.

Despite being the author...  I was pleasantly surprised it seemed to hand together quite well.  There was plenty going on and lots to keep you busy.  The balance was somewhat off and a few its need adjusting but on the whole it seems to work.

Major changes:
Enemy balance - the polar bear was too tough and the heavy squad was too well armed for a party to deal with. 
Gun run out of ammo too easily, I've removed ammo limits from rifles and pistols, only automatics now have ammo limits.
Critical hits added to speed up the contacts. 
Loads of minor tweaks but generally the basics work well.
Observations - using playing cards is hard as you have to keep trying to remember what each card is but some stickers will sort that in the short term.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2019, 10:00:14 AM »
More pics

Online Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2019, 08:48:23 PM »
I’ve been thinking about what else could work. I previously mentioned the film “Whiteout” from 2009. The plot featured a downed Soviet era plane (an AN - ro I believe) buried in the ice for 50 years. I think it was carrying radioactive ore. Of course it would be possible to buy and cut up a 1/56 scale model, but it would be quite big. Would it be possible to do a bit of wing with engine, sticking out of the ground? Maybe a bit of upper cockpit canopy and tail? Just a thought.

The other thing I thought of was another AM novel, “Bear Island”. I can’t remember much of the book, but the film ( which wasn’t that great in my opinion) has quite a bit of action involving small Aerosans. The film involved a buried Nazi Uniat pen on Spitsbergen, and information still on the sub. In a game that could be ex Nazi collaborators. The Soviets would want to get their hands on that information, and others to bury it...

The third Harry Palmer film “ Billion Dollar Brain” also had some Arctic action, but I can’t think of anything specific that could be used, except Palmer in snow gear.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2019, 10:19:27 PM »
Thanks!  All good stuff!

Online Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2019, 04:29:21 AM »
I hope you find something useful out of that. Strangely enough, I just noticed that “Bear Island” is on in the UK this week ( Wednesday C4 or Film 4 I think)

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2019, 06:11:24 AM »
Love this and has inspired me to do something similar. Time to use those copplestone castings I had ages ago. 8)

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2019, 01:03:01 PM »

I've been working on some Arctic Terra-Former terrain over the last couple of days and also this design for Arctic Base building which will be included in the Kick starter. I'm planning to do some variation of steps, doors and windows as well.

We are still on schedule for a June Kick Starter.

Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2019, 01:51:24 PM »
Well chaps if you want to blow things up in the snow with Royal, as opposed to US, Marines, there’s always Thule. The Task force did prepare to take it by force but sensibly the Argentine garrison surrendered without a shot being fired. Makes for a good what if though.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Slayer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2019, 11:03:09 PM »