Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:27:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dobbie71064's North Africa Project  (Read 1857 times)

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
Dobbie71064's North Africa Project
« on: March 31, 2019, 10:41:14 PM »
Hey everyone!

After a few weeks of pestering the hive mind, I've finally made the jump into my 28mm North Africa project. For this project I will be using Disposable Heros V1 for rules and miniatures will be mainly Perry Miniatures (More on that later).

I was lucky enough to attend Hot Lead, a wargaming convention in Stratford ON, yesterday and I was able to get started on this project! Below you can see my meager purchases from yesterday....

I was able to find the last boxes of 8th Army and DAK at one vendor, needless to say, I was quite happy! I also stumbled across a Crusader Vickers at the Bring and Buy for $2. While its not perfect for North Africa and it wont exactly match my miniatures, I wasn't going to pass it up for that price.

Now down to lists... I'm planning on 3 different list builds using this kits. I will build 2 British Commonwealth formations and one larger German formations. I'm planning...

Long Range Desert Group: T Patrol

LRDG Command Section- Lieutenant with pistol, Sergeant with Thompson, 2x Privates with Rifles, 1x Radioman with pistol, Mounted in a Jeep (71pts)

Patrol Team- Sergeant with Thompson, Corporal with Thompson, Lance Corporal with Rifle, 1x Private with Rifle, 1x Private with Bren gun, Mounted in a LRDG Truck (139pts)

Patrol Team- Sergeant with Thompson, Corporal with Thompson, Lance Corporal with Rifle, 1x Private with Rifle, 1x Private with Bren gun, Mounted in a LRDG Truck (139pts)

Patrol Team- Sergeant with Thompson, Corporal with Rifle, Lance Corporal with Rifle, 1x Private with Rifle, 1x Private with Vickers gun, Mounted in a LRDG Truck (155pts)

Sniper Team- Sniper with Scoped Rifle, Spotter with Scoped Rifle (44pts)

LRDG Truck with a 20mm Breda AA/AT Portee (39pts)

Total- 587pts, 22 Models

I wanted something a bit different for Disposable Heros, the LRDG is a perfect option! It is a small but hard hitting force. The LRDG will not be my primary force but I figured it would be perfect for scenarios. I am planning on running a North Africa Campaign at my LGS over the summer, the LRDG forces will allow me to do various raiding scenarios which should be fun!

The next force is.... The New Zealand Divisional Cavalry

Platoon HQ- 1st Lieutenant with Thompson, 2nd Lieutenant with Rifle, Sergeant with Rifle, Driver with Pistol, Mounted in a Universal Carrier (74pts)

Carrier section- First Team: Corporal with Thompson, Corporal with Rifle, Private with Bren, Driver with pistol, Mounted in a UC. 2nd Team: Lance Corporal with Rifle, Private with Rifle, Private with Bren, Driver with pistol, Mounted in a UC. 3rd Team: Lance Corporal with Rifle, Private with Rifle, Private with Bren, Driver with pistol, Mounted in a UC. (276pts)

Carrier section- First Team: Corporal with Thompson, Corporal with Rifle, Private with Bren, Driver with pistol, Mounted in a UC. 2nd Team: Lance Corporal with Rifle, Private with Rifle, Private with Bren, Driver with pistol, Mounted in a UC. 3rd Team: Lance Corporal with Rifle, Private with Rifle, Private with Bren, Driver with pistol, Mounted in a UC. (276pts)

M3 Honey Stuart (74 pts)

Total- 700pts, 28 models

Now, this is a rather interesting force. I've always been interested in the New Zealand Divisional Cavalry, every since seeing the army list in Flames of War years ago. I ending up playing the company for years in Flames of War and I love the conversion options and the hodge podge look of the carriers. Hell... One mounted a 20mm cannon liberated from a shot down aircraft, wire up to fire with a ford starter.... thats ingenuity! When I saw the Carrier platoon option, I thought this would be a perfect way to get the Divisional Cavalry back on the table. This will be my primary force, as you can see I am a few models short for the complete army so ill be looking to finish my LRDG patrol off with some metal minis in the future while the Divisional Cavalry will be my initial focus point.

Lastly, I'm looking to do a German Motorized platoon to fight these allies. List wise I'm thinking...

Platoon HQ- Lieutenant with MP40, Sergeant with MP40, Private with a Radio/Rifle, 3x Privates with Rifles. Mounted in a Light Truck (95)

Motorized Squad- MG Secton: Sergeant with MP40, LMG Gunner with MG34, 3x Privates with Rifles. MG Section: Corporal with Rifle, LMG Gunner with MG34, 3x Privates with Rifles. Mounted in a Medium Truck. (205)

Motorized Squad- MG Secton: Sergeant with MP40, LMG Gunner with MG34, 3x Privates with Rifles. MG Section: Corporal with Rifle, LMG Gunner with MG34, 3x Privates with Rifles. Mounted in a Medium Truck. (205)

Light Mortar Team- Corporal with Rifle, Gunner with 5cm Mortar, Loader with Rifle (30)

AT Rifle Team- Gunner with AT Rifle, Loader with Rifle (25)

Panzer 3 J (136)

Total- 696pts, 31 models

Here I have some extra models, not sure if I'll convert up some engineers or recon troops. We'll see what happens. I plan on adding more options to the Germans and Kiwis in the near future. The Germans will get more armoured support, anti tank guns and some other goodies while the Kiwis will also get more armour and anti tank options.

Now the big issue I have with these armies is the number of vehicles required... 7 Carriers, 1 Jeep, 7 Trucks and 2 Tanks... This will cost me an arm and a leg!! I've decided that in the near future ill be purchasing a 3D printer which will allow me to create more cost efficient vehicles for these forces. While not as nice as some JTFM or Rubicon options, they wont break the bank either!!

Now, I'll be starting to assemble the Germans and New Zealanders tonight, I hope to have an update sooner rather then later!

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
Re: Dobbie71064's North Africa Project
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 12:16:26 PM »
Finally another update!

Last week my 3D printer arrived so needless to say, I haven't been building much but I've been printing off tanks for this new project constantly.

So far I've printed...
- 4x Universal Carriers
- 1x M3A1 Stuart
- 1x M4A1 Sherman
- 1x LRDG Truck
- 1x Panzer 3 J
- 1x Panzer 2
- 2x Opel Blitz trucks

I'm hoping to have the rest of my armour required for this project printed by the end of next week. I'm hoping to start painting a couple of test tanks this weekend.

I've also built almost half of my German platoon. 2 squads, half of my HQ and a light mortar team. More pictures of them to come this week!

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 08:08:50 PM »
really nice printing ! Is this a resin printer ?

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 04:17:08 AM »
really nice printing ! Is this a resin printer ?

Thanks! Its actually a Ender-3 Pro, I'm just using regular Hatchbox PLA. Needless to say, I'm REALLY happy with the quality!

Offline ichwillauch

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 07:47:43 AM »
The printing quality is looking very good! May I ask if you have printed them as one block? At the moment I am trying to print an Opel blitz and have started to split the model in a lot of pieces to get the wheels right.

Offline Paratrooper 42

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 01:02:05 PM »
Those 3D prints have come out very well, don't appear to be any print lines on them - have you cleaned them up?

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 06:38:11 PM »
The printing quality is looking very good! May I ask if you have printed them as one block? At the moment I am trying to print an Opel blitz and have started to split the model in a lot of pieces to get the wheels right.

Honestly, I've just been printing the files as I've downloaded them. The Opel was printed as one block, this caused the bottom to be almost completely filled in with supports so it was a nightmare to clean up. The Panzer 2 and Universal Carrier are printed in pieces.

Those 3D prints have come out very well, don't appear to be any print lines on them - have you cleaned them up?

These prints required very little cleaning fortunately. These guys only needed supports removed (Which was a nightmare on the Opel) and some minor assembly. I really didn't do much in the way of sanding.

I've started painting up the Panzer 2, a Universal Carrier and the M4A1 Sherman. Mainly to test colour schemes and to test the prints. I'm very happy so far! Hope to have more pictures in a couple of days!

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 02:46:55 PM »
Thanks! Its actually a Ender-3 Pro, I'm just using regular Hatchbox PLA. Needless to say, I'm REALLY happy with the quality!

Really nice, I've got a i3 mega, and even if I obtain decent results,  nothing that good.

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2019, 01:04:51 PM »
Just a minor update for today. I wanted to show my painted Panzer 2. Since this picture ive painted the tools and such but didn't have time to take more pictures.

There was next to no additional work done on this model. In hindsight, I wish i did some more sanding on the turret but I'm still very happy!

I'm also working on two more tanks, a sherman from the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry and a Universal Carrier from the New Zealand Divisional Cavalry. These models are almost done minus some detail work.

I do need to find decals for these models, especially of the New Zealand Divisional symbol in 28mm.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 02:28:12 PM »
Have a look at Rubicon's decals.
https://rubiconmodels.co.uk/collections/decals-collection/products/commonwealth-generic-set-1?variant=750133444652

Not sure if Warlord do them.

Alternatively Company B might have them.

Offline Redmist1122

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 02:36:58 AM »
Looks pretty cool!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA