Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:14:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Not-So Merry England: UD 6/2 Hedge Gates  (Read 84125 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Not-So Merrye England: UD 22/11 first Battle ends & campaign reviewed
« Reply #465 on: November 22, 2020, 02:19:54 PM »
Turn 12 commences with Parliament winning the initiative. Caulfield’s Commanded Shot go first and successfully activate, shooting into Alting’s Elite Troopers who take a casualty but pass their Morale test. Rennell fails his activation. With the initiative now passing to the King’s men, all three fail their activations, despite still having +1 to each roll as Alting himself is still in play. In the chaos of the battle, the King’s men seem to have faltered and thrown away their advantage!

What luck will Turn 13 bring? 

Parliament again wins the initiative and again Caulfield’s muskets let loose from the hedgerow and cause Alting a casualty, leaving him on his lonesome. And again, Rennell fails his activation.

The King activates in the order of Alting then Cornell, each of which has only one mini remaining and fails the test. However, as the Non Player Force, the King’s turn does not end with a failed activation and so Tennison takes his test and passes to launch an attack at Rennell’s remaining Forlorn Hope.

It’s a bloody affair, with Rennell losing one mini but magnificent dice rolling causing Tennison the loss of two. Both units pass their Morale test but as he incurred the most casualties, Tennison must pull back.

Turn 14 once again sees Parliament win the initiative. Caulfield’s full complement of muskets open up on the solitary figure of Alting and achieve 7 hits, which takes him out.

With Alting down, both Cornell and Tennison must immediately take Morale tests; Cornell nets a negative result that routs him from the table. With the initiative now passing to the King, Tennison fails his activation.

As “the number of Units on the table has reduced by two to four”, Turn 15 starts with 1xD6 being rolled and as “the result is higher than 3 that signifies the end of the game at which point the Battle is assessed for win, lose or draw.”  Both sides had the same orders, which were to “attempt to rout their foe”. With the residue of Tennison’s unit being all that remains for the King, it is a victory for Parliament.

Cheering and shouts of “For Justice and Liberty!” follow Tennison as he leads the departure from the field.

And it’s game over with the final toll as follows:

In TPL casualties reflect the lost, the frightened, the runaways, the wounded and the dead but for the purposes of the Campaign they are also a means of accounting as there is a cost in rebuilding Unit strength (I’ve painted the minis and I’m going to play with them!). Also, the Campaign always rewards the winner of a Battle and will punish any Colonel who exits the table.

Recovery costs (unit Rebuilding Rates) are as follows:

At the end of the first battle, the closing accounts are as follows:

With a financial loss of £132, Parliament leads The King who is carrying a financial loss of £212.

As Parliament wins the Battle it chooses to retain occupation of the locale, for which it leaves Caulfield’s Commanded Shot in garrison. As Units participate in Battles, they will earn a free upgrade in status but thus far in the the Campaign, none of the Units has participated in sufficient Battles so there are no upgrades to record.

The next step in the Campaign is to return to the Gameboard and further develop the storyline up to the next Battle.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 10:41:00 PM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #466 on: November 22, 2020, 03:55:26 PM »
Interesting and inspiring (for campaigns) account!
Thanks for sharing!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #467 on: November 22, 2020, 05:30:34 PM »
Boo! ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #468 on: November 22, 2020, 06:07:52 PM »
Fix! Fix! Fix!

lol
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #469 on: November 22, 2020, 06:37:17 PM »

With a financial loss of £172, Parliament leads The King who is carrying a financial loss of £212.

It’s wargaming as Antiques Road Trip lol

Typically ingenious, Steve. Can tell you used to work in the City  ;)

A just and Godly result.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #470 on: November 22, 2020, 10:31:20 PM »
Thanks chaps and it wasn’t a fix..... it was actually a real surprise but in the last few turns the King had some shocking dice rolls. Plenty of battles to come for the King to pull ahead.  ;) :D

It’s wargaming as Antiques Road Trip lol
Typically ingenious, Steve. Can tell you used to work in the City  ;)

lol it invariably comes down to the money   :D

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #471 on: November 23, 2020, 07:49:03 AM »
Permission to shout ‘hurrah!’ in an annoying loud voice my Lord?

I do like the cash element of campaign control, it gives a perfect excuse to go after the baggage train lol
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #472 on: November 23, 2020, 10:21:38 AM »
Steve: I suspect that it does invariably come down to the money. I remember that when I was at school we looked at why the Dutch Revolt in the sixteenth century was successful and why the Spanish, despite having the finest army in Europe, could not re-take the Netherlands. The conclusion we were given was that the Spanish did not have the capability to deal with the waterways / canals, and that if the Dutch got into trouble they just opened the dykes, leaving the Spanish floundering. Then I read an article which compared the progress of the Spanish army with the amount of money sent to Spain from the New World. The conclusion was, the more money the King of Spain received from the New World, the more progress the Spanish army made in quashing the revolt.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #473 on: November 23, 2020, 10:32:33 AM »

lol

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #474 on: November 23, 2020, 02:16:11 PM »

I do like the cash element of campaign control, it gives a perfect excuse to go after the baggage train lol

lol Permission granted!

There’ll be various raids on sources of value that’ll come with bonus cash prizes  ;)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #475 on: November 23, 2020, 02:25:11 PM »
Steve: I suspect that it does invariably come down to the money. I remember that when I was at school we looked at why the Dutch Revolt in the sixteenth century was successful and why the Spanish, despite having the finest army in Europe, could not re-take the Netherlands. The conclusion we were given was that the Spanish did not have the capability to deal with the waterways / canals, and that if the Dutch got into trouble they just opened the dykes, leaving the Spanish floundering. Then I read an article which compared the progress of the Spanish army with the amount of money sent to Spain from the New World. The conclusion was, the more money the King of Spain received from the New World, the more progress the Spanish army made in quashing the revolt.

Very interesting.  8)

As fielding an army costs, the expense has to be covered from somewhere whether it be from taxes, borrowing or the spoils of conquest. It’ll be interesting to see if I’ve structured the financials well enough so that the eventual winner is in profit (ie, all costs covered).  :D

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #476 on: November 23, 2020, 02:49:56 PM »
Raise the taxes and damn the peasants! >:D

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #477 on: November 23, 2020, 03:04:56 PM »
Raise the taxes and damn the peasants! >:D

Well having taken and garrisoned the area within which Cowebottom Common resides, Parliament will be taking a regular levy of £20.  :o

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #478 on: December 02, 2020, 03:06:23 PM »
I’ve played out the next stage of the Campaign Gameboard and the required terrain includes a river with bridge and ford. Excellent..... except I’ve yet to make the terrain. I don’t really want to plonk a temporary river onto my mat when I’ve got everything to make a more aesthetically pleasing one so there might be a little wait for the next game. Also I will need to paint 4 more units.

More info to come on the proposed battle when I’ve committed (or not!) to making the terrain.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #479 on: December 02, 2020, 03:50:52 PM »
 lol

See! What did I say?  lol