Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:29:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Not-So Merry England: UD 6/2 Hedge Gates  (Read 84139 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Not-So Merrye England: UD 18/11 the first game continues
« Reply #450 on: November 18, 2020, 12:17:28 PM »
Turns 8 to 10 start with  Tennison’s Trotters heading for the gap in the hedge, hoping to bring their weight onto Rennell.

But before they can close to contact, the musketry from Caulfield’s Commanded Shot inflicts casualties on and drives back Cornell’s horse.

Sensing the immediate danger, Gibbs’ pulls his Aggressive Forlorn Hope from where it’s blocking the lane and goes all out with an attack on Tennison.

Gibbs’ aggression pays off and Tennison is forced back. In the meantime, effective musketry has further diminished Cornell who has lost all of his troopers.

Gibbs is still vulnerable and, as might have been expected, Alting comes down the lane then swings in to attack him: for the first time, the two Command Units clash swords.

With Gibbs surrounded by enemy horse, it’s all looking quite uncomfortable for him. But there’s the remnants of the Forlorn Hope and the full unit of Commanded Shot who represent a distinct danger to Alting‘s Elite Trotters. It could all come down to who wins the initiative for Turn 11.

The dispositions at the end of Turn 10.

More to follow......
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Not-So Merrye England: UD 18/11 the first game continues
« Reply #451 on: November 18, 2020, 12:19:32 PM »
Nail biting!
And I don't know what to admire most! The eye level pics or the aerial view ones!!!  :-*
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Not-So Merrye England: UD 21/11 the first game nears its conclusion
« Reply #452 on: November 21, 2020, 12:10:32 PM »
And Parliament wins the initiative!

Caulfield’s full complement (12 dice) of Commanded Shot blast away at Alting’s Elite Trotters and miss with every Shot. Rennell’s heavily depleted complement (6 dice) of Forlorn Hope similarly let fire with their muskets, and score 4 hits, causing Alting a single casualty, though Alting passes the subsequent Morale Test. With Alting depleted by one trooper, Gibbs wants back in on the attack but fails his activation.

NB: the especially observant will have noticed that on a couple of occasions I failed to separate the two units after an attack.

The initiative passes to the King’s men, with Alting continuing the melee with Gibbs. The Elite Trotters and Aggressive Forlorn Hope are evenly matched and each causes a casualty to the other, but it’s only Gibbs who fails the subsequent morale test and is forced back and wavers.

With Gibbs pushed back towards the edge of the table, Tennison charges back through the hedge in an attempt to drive him off the edge and out of the game.

Tennison’s attack pays off, as the effect is to force Gibbs off the table. With their Officer having been pushed out of the game, both Rennell and Caulfield must take Morale tests, which they pass. The turn ends with both the depleted Forlorn Hope and the Commanded Shot standing firm.

What will Turn 12 bring? In the context of a campaign it might make sense for Parliament to conserve its units and withdraw. But orders are orders so at this point it’s worth reminding oneself of the Scenario and victory conditions, which are as follows:

Both sides will chance upon each other and attempt to rout their foe. When the number of Units on the table has reduced by two to four, at the beginning of each subsequent 1xD6 will be rolled and if the result is higher than 3 that signifies the end of the game at which point the Battle is assessed for win, lose or draw.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 11:56:48 AM by Silent Invader »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #453 on: November 21, 2020, 12:11:09 PM »
Splendid fun  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #454 on: November 21, 2020, 03:51:24 PM »
Which means that many times a game needs not hundreds of figures to be bloody and full of action!

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #455 on: November 21, 2020, 06:44:02 PM »
Great work, Steve
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #456 on: November 21, 2020, 06:52:36 PM »
Thanks chaps  :)

Which means that many times a game needs not hundreds of figures to be bloody and full of action!

It’s true. And most of the action has taken place within 2 sq feet. I think it also helps - well it helps me anyway - that this small game is part of a bigger story, which it’s result will have ramifications for.

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #457 on: November 21, 2020, 07:17:57 PM »
One of my favourite threads on LAF  :)

Apologies if you’ve mentioned it elsewhere but do the rules have some sort of risk to the named personalities during melee/firing?

You’ve put a lot of character into your leaders, so I guess being carried from the field (to recover after a suitable delay) or being captured perhaps to be exchanged later on could be woven into the game?

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #458 on: November 21, 2020, 07:31:38 PM »
Cheers Matt  :)

Apologies if you’ve mentioned it elsewhere but do the rules have some sort of risk to the named personalities during melee/firing?

The Pikemans Lament rules do include a risk to to the officer, a test called Lucky Blow. It’s a good rule that works well but I’m not using it for the campaign at the mo. For the first few games at least I’m keeping it nice and simple as I want to be sure to keep the Colonels in play while I test the fundamentals of my campaign manager. Btw in TPL a casualty isn’t necessarily a death: it could be a kill, or an injury, hiding, running away etc.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #459 on: November 21, 2020, 07:38:51 PM »
Lovely collection of figures and great table set up.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #460 on: November 21, 2020, 07:47:48 PM »
Do you think if you had a smaller table it would effect the way you've played given that the action has been in a localised area?

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #461 on: November 21, 2020, 08:21:58 PM »
Cheers Matt  :)

The Pikemans Lament rules do include a risk to to the officer, a test called Lucky Blow. It’s a good rule that works well but I’m not using it for the campaign at the mo. For the first few games at least I’m keeping it nice and simple as I want to be sure to keep the Colonels in play while I test the fundamentals of my campaign manager. Btw in TPL a casualty isn’t necessarily a death: it could be a kill, or an injury, hiding, running away etc.

We played two PL scenarios in the GNW period (with 15mm figures) using the risk to the officer rule and much fun was had!
Pikemans Lament, GNW scenario Part 1 (The Battle of Ishkutchnayia)
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=102157.0
The Swedish commander, Colonel Blohm took bad morale check, lost one figure and at the last turn, and routed.
Was he killed?
My opponent threw the dice to see what happened to him. He brought eleven:
"Colonel Blohm was lightly wounded and came back to his camp with an impressive scar and a story to tell! +1 honor point"!
This gave me the idea to create the sequel of this scenario
Pikemans Lament GNW scenario Part 2 (The Battle of Starynovosk)
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=102392.0
In this battle, both commanders' groups perished
My opponent brought an 8: Blohm was wounded and rescued by his loyal soldiers. He would recover in time for the next game
And the Russian commander, Major Zdravin?
I brought 5.
"Captured while hiding in some Honour-draining manner, perhaps in a privy or a dung heap, pretending to be a pregnant woman, or perhaps dressed as a nun. Must be ransomed back, costing 5 Honour".
Although it was a shame for me it was hilarious!  lol

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #462 on: November 21, 2020, 09:23:22 PM »
Thanks for the remarks  chaps  :)

@ OMT
It’s a good question. For me, the game needed the bigger table area (5x3) at the start, as though most of the action took place in 2x2, the respective  final positions were the consequence of tactical choices/placements and how they then played out.

@ DTD
I can see how a Lucky Blow might add to the fun in a multi player game. As I’m playing this solo the games obviously  lack that sort of player interaction. I’m not complaining though, I’m hoping this campaign will run for a very long time.  :D

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #463 on: November 21, 2020, 09:33:14 PM »
Thanks for the remarks  chaps  :)

@ OMT
It’s a good question. For me, the game needed the bigger table area (5x3) at the start, as though most of the action took place in 2x2, the respective  final positions were the consequence of tactical choices/placements and how they then played out.

@ DTD
I can see how a Lucky Blow might add to the fun in a multi player game. As I’m playing this solo the games obviously  lack that sort of player interaction. I’m not complaining though, I’m hoping this campaign will run for a very long time.  :D

Please, continue gaming the way you chose, it is always a joy to read your posts!

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #464 on: November 21, 2020, 10:57:20 PM »
Please, continue gaming the way you chose, it is always a joy to read your posts!

Of course and thank you  :D