Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:27:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690822
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mustafar table  (Read 3727 times)

Offline Tesla knight

• Bookworm
Mustafar table
« on: April 09, 2019, 02:25:05 PM »
Over the last year I’ve been working with the scenery company Blotz designing some different sets. The most recent set that has reached production is a modular set of platforms and walkways. The set is for generic Sci-Fi but with a pretty strong Star Wars vibe.

Blotz: https://blotz.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=23_29_266

I recently finished painting the display set for the Blotz stall so it could go to Salute where it seemed to get a favourable reception.

Bigger piccies: http://agogonline.blogspot.com/2019/04/more-designs.html

Now I’m thinking of using a set of these to make a Mustafar themed set, hence this post. So with that in mind I wanted to document what I was going to do and create a working “to do” list.

So things I need for a whole table full of lava world themed scenery:

1)   Some sort of matt or covering to feature lava
2)   Walkways
3)   Scatter
Given that I’d like to get this project to the table in the next few months I have decided to not make any of the above things hugely taxing to do sooooo…..

Matt

Easily done. I’ve got a nice grass matt which has a black backing that will do just fine for the lava-blackened landscape. I need to add lava pits but I think I shall take the easy route and just make a load of flat sections of various shapes and sizes. They can be trimmed with rocks and gravel and painted up brightly to be lava pools and streams. I think I might try to add some bubbles in the lava as an extra effect.

Walkways

I’m thinking of painting the walkways for this set in a grey, red and gold colour scheme as this will be nice and dark and will go with my Mechanicum forces.

Scatter

Given the rocky setting it would seem appropriate to have some outcrops to scatter around on the ground. I’ve got crates and other bits already so not much to do here either.

Not masses to do but It’ll still take me a while I suspect…..

TTFN

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: Mustafar table
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 08:02:26 PM »
Nice design.

I caught a glimpse of them at Salute, they looked great. There were too many people at the table to get very close.

Offline Tesla knight

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 03:50:50 PM »
I've got my mitts on the kits I need for my Mustafar/Mars scenery set now thanks to the excellent folks at Blotz!

Loads to do but I needed to pin down my colour scheme before getting stuck in. I'd painted the Blotz demo ones white but I wanted to go dark with my set to fit in with dark volcanic look for the table.

So I started with a black under coat. I usually spray them whilst they are still on the flat sprue and then again after construction. This avoids any difficulties getting the spray into nooks and crannies after putting the kits together.

After undercoating I gave the center of the platform a dry brush of medium grey as I wanted to break up the black and give the panels alternative contrasts. The main body was very dark so I picked out the detail on the leg panels and painted the platform edges and rail supports.

After that I tinkered with colours until settling on the ones shown. I want to pick out a couple of details with gold but this is essentially it now.

Right! Just a ton more to paint.

Bigger piccies: http://agogonline.blogspot.com/2019/05/project-mustafar.html

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 09:53:23 AM »
Very nice.

Offline Tesla knight

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 02:10:05 PM »
Made a bit of progress last night and managed to get some of the accessories done.

The whole set utilises the same interface points, like jigsaw connectors, to allow all the modular parts to slot together. The interfaces can also be used to attach things like stairs, ladders and other fun bits.

Bigger piccies: https://agogonline.blogspot.com/2019/05/mustafar-progress-1.html

Lots to do still but I'm enjoying it so far!

Offline Tesla knight

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 02:14:06 PM »
Chipping away at the different pieces for the walkway set. There's still a long away to go but I'm getting there!

All pieces are made now and a couple need their last spray to cover the exposed wood on the edges.

I'm generally happy with how the colour scheme is going. I suspect that I will find the three coats of red to be quite tedious in the end but at the moment I'm still nicely motivated.

I need to start thinking about the lava sections as well. I've got some 3mm foamed PVC ready as the base and some pink foam for the craggy bits soI think I'm all good to go on that part. I'll need to take over the dining room table for a few evenings so I have space enough to work on those bits.

Bigger piccies: https://agogonline.blogspot.com/2019/05/mustafar-progress-2.html

TTFN

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 03:52:45 PM »
That's pretty epic!

Offline Tesla knight

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2019, 04:30:56 PM »
I'm making progress still with this and I'm determined to get the platforms painted before the end of July so I can move onto the lava sections.

Bigger picces

http://agogonline.blogspot.com/2019/07/plugging-away.html

TTFN

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 02:05:41 AM »
Wow.... nice. Lots of work. Will watch to see end result.
I should be painting right now.

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 03:20:23 AM »
Looks neat!

If you leave off the handrails, the round "platforms" could also be nice landing pads for 15mm spacecraft too, I suspect.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 04:48:34 PM »
This is one helluva good start!  I like it.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Tesla knight

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 04:33:39 PM »
I've finished the walkways now. Took a while.

Next up is the lava sections. I’ve got the plastic sheet to be the basing for it but having seen a few inspiring tutorials I have decided to use cork tiles for the rocks. I don’t have any cork tiles so I’ll need to squeeze in a shopping trip shortly. My kids are away soon for summer holidays so this may well mean that I get a chance to blitz a hobby job whist they are not around to....um...help.

After that I want to ad some rock piles as scatter and I have some pink foam left over from other jobs to use. Then it will just be making sure I have enough cargo crates and other scatter to add cover around on the platforms.

TTFN

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2019, 04:38:41 PM »
Now thats a classy looking finish! 

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2019, 11:21:37 PM »
lovely :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline fluffy05

• Scientist
    • One Painters Crusade
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2019, 10:16:23 AM »
Perfect!

Lovely brushwork
'The German today is like the June Bride; he knows he is going to get it, but he doesn't know how big it is going to be.' - Gen. Richard "Windy" Gale, 6th Airborne Division Commander