Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:05:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Annie's Glittery Salute Report  (Read 3478 times)

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
Re: Annie's Glittery Salute Report
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 10:04:15 AM »
It's also a largely Euro forum which means there are a fair few folk from Scandinavia and the Netherlands who are streaks ahead of the likes of the UK when it comes to equality and not being <insert expletives>.

That's what really sells LAF for me, it's the one place you can visit and know that you sharing a space with diversity, thus getting way better feedback in many ways.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 10:06:36 AM »
It's also a largely Euro forum which means there are a fair few folk from Scandinavia and the Netherlands who are streaks ahead of the likes of the UK when it comes to equality and not being <insert expletives>.

That's what really sells LAF for me, it's the one place you can visit and know that you sharing a space with diversity, thus getting way better feedback in many ways.

I think you underestimate what shits we can be.  ;)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 02:03:23 PM »
Annie,
As one who's spent life in the rough end of the trench holding the soggy end of the stick. Both in khaki and as a Psychiatric nurse.
I shall offer you a reply that I've taught my female co workers to use on such warrior's.( oh it does work)
You say the following with extreme politeness .

"I sometimes wish my parents had called me Andrex . That way you could be forgiven for thinking . I'm here just to take shit from arseholes.
( now smile) Unfortunately for you they didn't ."
There is a much darker line you can use for complete twats. (That I'll only pm on request ;) ) combined with the one above. will make them leave appalled but quickly none the less.

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2019, 03:34:56 PM »
There is a much darker line you can use for complete twats.

There is a certain irony using this term on a thread like this, no?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 04:31:46 PM »
Not at All
Annie is a polite,enthusiastic ,impassioned Young lady .Unfortunately not everyone she meets see this as positive.
I my self have seen the sub par responses her presence has provoked.
Only recently at York l had to mention to an individual that if he felt that strongly then his next option was the door. If he was unfamiliar with its location I would quite happily show him too it.
Spitting any kind of venom or hate be it to an individuals face or as a parting gesture at their back . Shouldn't be tolerated.
The difference is Annie is to polite to say .What I'll happily say and mean.
There has been a profound an visible change in the culture of shows in the last five years. You now regularly see familes and couples and women in general at shows.
Which I thoroughly enjoy.  I'll not stand by and watch individuals try and drag shows back into the stone age.

Mark.

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 05:02:43 PM »
Not at All

I was, of course, referencing the fact you used the term 'twat' which comes from a old norse term for a gash/slash and has been a reference to female genitalia for a millennia. It became a popular swear word in the 17th century used to denigrate women.

(Note that both gash and slash are also common misogynist terms popular today with gang culture.)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 05:25:20 PM »
It also means idiot .Especially here in this part of the Dane law. ;)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 05:39:06 PM »
Wait, so some people see Bad Squiddo's range of appropriately attired female figures and they have such a problem or dislike of them as to be vocal about their disdain?

I can't even imagine what their arguments against the figures could be! Even if you were a fan of the bikini-mail clad types of female mini all over the market, surely you'd understand that for many, realistic and believable female figures are a good thing and a nice change. In fact, surely the more options we have in this hobby the better? Some people eh?

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2019, 06:02:12 PM »
I'm sure Annie will answer for herself. My observation is more in line with "we've got ourselves a reader" camp.
Than the quality of the product. :?

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
  • "Down with this sort of thing!" (Careful now)
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2019, 06:32:38 PM »
Thanks for the kind words! The reference to the weirdo factor was more of a passing note rather than intent for topic sway. I can certainly handle myself, it just sometimes can put a bit of a downer on the whole thing, but the last year or so I've mostly just gone for the killing them with kindness approach. It saves me getting too wound up as well. Keep on smiling and growing, and they just get angrier. Before the wargames industry I worked in homelessness, so I'm pretty well schooled in dealing with bigger older guys shouting at me! Duck's back, water etc.

But on the positives, that is one of the reasons I love Salute and Crisis - they're the most diverse shows we do and also the ones we get the least hassle at. And though one incident this year was too many, it's still a mass improvement when you consider that's 0.0001% or whatever of the people there.

There will always be these people, but creating the environment where they feel less confident they can get away with it is a good aim, and I am hoping just the presence of Bad Squiddo around can help with this too.

---

BUT ANYWAY!

SALUTE!

SALUTE WAS AWESOME!

I am still knackered though.