Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:37:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690713
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1026
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The forces of Free Norway (my VSF project) (I can't stop! Update 12-27-12)  (Read 35712 times)

Offline swordman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
Re: The forces of Free Norway (my VSF project) (Resurrected! 7-24-11)
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2011, 06:15:18 AM »
astonishing

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2011, 08:18:28 AM »
so cool! :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 12:26:51 PM »
Like it alot!   :-*

Great imagination and execution!

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2011, 02:26:46 PM »
Looks great and thanks for reviving the thread :)

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2011, 03:02:26 PM »
Sinewgrab, could you please post your FUBAR rosters and the combination of rules/supplements/houserules you use?  As the author of the VSF supplement for FUBAR, I'm always interested to see how other people are doing it.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 03:13:38 PM »
I can do that when I get them hammered out - we are not using the VSF rules at the moment, because we are both trying to get the rules to the stage where we are not constantly looking them up.  Like both of us completely missing the a failed activation leads to going 'on guard'. 6 games later, we noticed that paragraph. (sigh)  We are mixing so many genres ATM, that we are not trying to be too specific.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2011, 03:31:12 PM »
What I always forget is that crew-served machine guns can't move and fire (at least, that's my interpretation of the rules - feel free to disagree and provide citations) and therefore when they fire they haven't moved and always get the +1 from aimed fire.

Good luck, and let me know what you end up using, please.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2011, 05:31:59 PM »
 :o :o :o
Some superb modelling skills used there, I am most impressed!
Thanks for resurrecting the post or I would probably have never seen these, and that would have been almost criminal.
Well done, Sir!!
Looking forward to any more updates..................
Please, Sir, can we have some more?

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2011, 05:43:07 PM »
Great  ;D
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline DowVooVoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2011, 02:07:43 AM »
wow! now that would assure FREEDOM!

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2011, 05:21:27 AM »
GREAT!!! :)
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2011, 01:03:24 PM »
Tada!  And yes, I know it has been over a year, and almost two since I started this thread, but it feels like the best place to drop the newest forces!

Fear not, my VSF project has been on the go for the last four years!  ;)

Great to see this project is still alive and well.
Don't!

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The forces of Free Norway (my VSF project) (Resurrected! Update 8-15-11)
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2011, 05:44:27 AM »
And finally, the leaders of Free Norway emerge.  I have had these models basecoated without finishing them for over a year. I would like to thank FUBAR for piquing my interest in VSF again, so that I *finally* finished these, and started working on other Norwegian stuff again.

King Olaf the First, King of Free Norway

Princess Freyja Olafsdottir, Viseadmiral of the Forces of Free Norway.

And an Aeronef Kommandor - he gets to be whichever captain I need at the moment, of whom I have named 12 as try to create an army list that makes some sense historically.

These models are, in order: Foundry Thor, Privateer Press Khador Manhunter (converted to have a pistol), and a Brgade Games Belgian Senior Officer.

My current army "list" consists of this:
King Olaf the First, Supreme Kommandor
Admiral Thor Heyerdahl, Head of the Free Norwegian First
Princess Freyja Olafsdottir, Viseadmiral
Flaggkommandor Edvard Munjk

Home Battalion Kommandors:
Amundsen, Johansen, Skredsvig, Ousland, Kavli, and Gunnerus

Away Battalion Kommandors:
Balto, Gjeldnes, Kagge, Tryggve, Hjort, Sornes

Forces of the Dvergr (military research arm):
Doktor Colin Archer, Aeronefyard Orlogskaptein.
Doktor Vilhelm Bjerknes, Munitions
Doktor Kristopher Hansteen, Armored Infantry
Doktor Sophus Lie, Klank Refinery
Doktor Sam Eyde, Metallurgy and Industry
Doktor Bjorn Fugin, Aetherial Travel

Forces:
The Grand Aeronef KVN Gungnir, with a complement of 3-5 Valkyrie Gyrokopters, 2 units of Infantry, and 2-5 Klanks.
KVN Mjollnir
Heavy Clank Units, Assorted Weaponry
Infantry, supported by Maxim teams, cannon, and rocket teams.
Deep Desert Martian Askari, with Great Oxen support units
Green Martian Bodyguard for the Princess
Red Martian Skiff Mercenaries

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2011, 07:57:34 AM »
And a few more of my latest - I've been busy.

Doktor Vilhelm Bjerknes, Munitions expert

Doktor Bjorn Fugin, Aetherial Travel

Doktor Sam Eyde, Metallurgy and Industry

and Doktor Kristopher Hansteen, Armored Infantry. His expertise is the only thing keeping him alive.

And a few of their Clanks (mostly built by Eyde and Hansteen)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2011, 09:26:28 AM »
The History of Free Norway

This history begins not with Norway, as one would expect, but with Prussia. In 1887, the Prussians tested a new Astronef, utilizing technology that was still in the formative stage, stolen from native Martians and the British formula for Cavorite. The massive vessel, while the largest ever built, was almost entirely space for transportation of men and goods, and was to be the next stage in Teutonic efficiency for moving armies to Mars to help with efforts there. Something went badly wrong. Originally christened the "Fatherland", the vessel crashed during a lightning storm over the mountainous spine of Norway. The Prussians were unable to recover it, as they couldn't not admit that it existed, due to the stolen technologies used in its creation. They decided that there was not enough left of it to worry about, and left it where it was.
   The astronef was discovered by a native Norwegian scientist in 1889 who had been schooled in the best British universities, and had only recently returned from the university in Cologne. He had heard rumors of a failed experiment crashing in the mountains of Norway, and decided to search for it. His success had been supported by cousins of the old line of Kings in Norway, who then began gathering as many people as were willing to leave, and had some mechanical training. In 1892, the vessel was rebuilt, and ready. Rechristened the "Frigga", she awaited her crew. While she was being repaired, teams of Norwegian commandoes had been put in place in British aeronef factories in Scotland, German factories in Cologne, Swedish factories in Stockholm, and Belgian factories in Antwerp. They infiltrated the factories as workers, learning all they could about the manufacture and repair of the vessels, and when the signal came via telegraph, they were ready. Each team stole as many Aeronefs as they could handle safely, and set off for Norway. Upon their arrival, the Frigga launched for Mars, and none of the major powers was able to stop her. The Prussians managed to stop 2 of the 5 stolen Aeronefs, and the British  3 of the 7 stolen from her yards, but the Norwegians lived up to their Viking heritage, and took 7000 of their own men, women, and children besides.
   Upon launch, the scientist was crowned King, and he took the name King Olav I, of the Monarchy of Free Norway. The Norwegians steered their vessel to the northern pole of Mars, where the cold had prevented most natives from settling heavily. When they landed though, they ran into one major problem - Green Martians. After an initial battle, which ended in as much a draw as anything, the King entered into negotiations. His daughter went with him as well as many other officials. They managed to form an alliance, but the exact details were never made public. Afterwards, his daughter changed her name to Princess Freyja, and insisted that the capitol city be called Brisingamen, which it was.
   The state of Free Norway is now a minor power on Mars, and has continued growing. The Frigga has made several more trips to Earth, picking up disaffected Norwegians, and more stolen vessels and technology. Their alliance with the Green Martians seems secure, and they have begun trade with the cities of Helium, as they have managed to earn John Carter's respect due to their stubborn refusal to quit, and ingenuity in the face of overwhelming odds.

Not to rain on your stonking parade but perhaps you'd like to edit  (or benefir from!) history a bit further as Sweden and Norway were united kingdoms back in 1887 (until 1905). The flag back then, as the Norwegians flew it, looked like this...

...and was popularly know as the Sillsalat ('The Herring Sallad') in reference to the garishly multicoloured Scandinavian dish based on pickled herring, beet roots, boiled eggs and leeks.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:36:59 AM by Hammers »