Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:54:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anyone thought about doing a Roman force for OGAM?  (Read 1852 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Anyone thought about doing a Roman force for OGAM?
« on: April 16, 2019, 10:09:48 AM »
I've got a bunch of Victrix Republican Romans and am keen to have a bash at OGAM and was wondering if anyone had put together any ideas for an early Roman pantheon? It's probably the best way for me to get some Romans onto a gaming table in the short term...
I know I can lift the Greek gods/goddesses straight (with a swift rename) and also the stats for hoplites, psiloi, etc (with a swift Roman rename) but was wondering about legends...
I'd quite like Romulus, Horatius, Camillus, perhaps...I guess I could create those based on other legends perhaps with a few trait tweaks. Wolves are an obvious option due to Romulus - perhaps a giant 'she-wolf' to represent Romulus' 'mother', but does anyone have any other ideas, especially for non-human legends or mortals? Am I best just lifting Greek ones?
Perhaps I need to read some Roman mythology - Ovid, perhaps?
Any thoughts much appreciated...

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
Re: Anyone thought about doing a Roman force for OGAM?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 01:09:32 PM »
Ovid...  my my my...aren't we a lusty fellow....   lol
"May the dice of your God's roll like the breasts of your favorite concubine."  Graeme "Henry" Henderson, Dumfries c1980

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 05:08:10 PM »

Really? I have no idea what you're talking about...  lol lol lol

Offline Irregular Wars Nic

• Mad Scientist
    • Visit the Irregular Wars blog:
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 08:53:22 PM »

lol lol :D

... but regarding the original query, I'd suggest starting with a straight reskinning of the Greek stuff initially, perhaps borrowing Fenrir for the she-wolf, and generic heroes for R&R.

Then once you have more of a feel for the army, tweak away!

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 08:57:11 PM »
The Lemures (spirits) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemures

Catoblepas (Bull with the ability to turn enemies to stone with its gaze)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catoblepas

Cacus (fire breathing giant) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cacus

Basilisk (Serpent with poisonous breath and fatal touch

Ethiopian Pegasus like the Greek one with antelope antlers.

Faun part human part goat

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 09:38:54 PM »
I passed over a book on Roman mythology in a second hand bookshop just last week- should have bought it on spec! I’m no expert on this but I’ll have a look on my shelf.

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 11:35:54 PM »
Well...since you mentioned Ovid...how about Lemures?

You also have the Maenads/Bacchantes.  When they are in a full Bacchic frenzy...well...just look into the deaths of Orpheus and Pentheus.

Don't forget the Furies!

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2019, 03:45:59 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions, folks. I bit for me to be thinking about now... :D

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 08:59:52 AM »
that's true that Roman OGAM are rare...
Strange isn't It. So many Greek projects and nearly nothing in the Roman World... :o

i'll follow your roman project with curiosity  .

;)

Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 09:59:28 AM »
Welcome aboard the OGAM fun bus Andy, it's a great little game.

SHQ has a single pack of Roman Gods.
http://www.shqminiatures.co.uk/Ranges/25mmFantasy/fantasymain.php?UID=2019041910505280.5.187.11
They're 40mm sort of size, sculpted by Jim Bowen, really characterful.
I've got some of the Greeks (Poseidon and Hermes) and just picked up the Vikings. On 50mm round bases they make good Gods without totally dominating the board.

I don't have Broken Legions the Osprey game, but that's got a mythical Roman setting. Might be worth picking up for some inspiration?

When my lads were younger the Percy Jackson series was an inspiration for them and drove some of the models I got for OGAM to play with them. I *think* some of that series had Romans, or there was another parallel set of books set in a Roman backdrop. Could you get your son to do the research for you? :)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2019, 11:02:13 AM »
SHQ has a single pack of Roman Gods.
http://www.shqminiatures.co.uk/Ranges/25mmFantasy/fantasymain.php?UID=2019041910505280.5.187.11

I don't have Broken Legions the Osprey game, but that's got a mythical Roman setting. Might be worth picking up for some inspiration?

Do you have a photograph of them?  None on the Website.  I have some very old Greek gods and godesses from Minot(?) and would be interested in some newer figures. 

I have "Broken Legions" and it has Romans, Greeks and many others in a more fantasy style setting.  The rules are similar in style to GW Hobbit/Lord of the Rings SBG type.  Very useful for inspiration as the gods play a lesser role while the characters play the main roles.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2019, 11:24:58 AM »
Do you have a photograph of them?  None on the Website.  I have some very old Greek gods and godesses from Minot(?) and would be interested in some newer figures. 

I have "Broken Legions" and it has Romans, Greeks and many others in a more fantasy style setting.  The rules are similar in style to GW Hobbit/Lord of the Rings SBG type.  Very useful for inspiration as the gods play a lesser role while the characters play the main roles.

Pictures? It's only 2019, who on earth is putting pictures on their World Wide Web shopping sites. It might not catch on this new-fangled  internet you know!
:)

Here's the Vikings in bare metal

Odin, Loki, Thor, Sif
Yes, I know Thor has a horned helmet. He's a god, he does what he likes!

This is Poseidon

Crusader Greek for comparison
And Hermes

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2019, 11:29:46 AM »
… but does anyone have any other ideas, especially for non-human legends or mortals? Am I best just lifting Greek ones?

Biggest problem perhaps: religion in ancient Italy seems to have been predominantly animistic. Thus no manlike gods or superheroes of divine descendance. All of that had to be imported from the Hellenic world, and it was only slightly adapted to or intertwined with local traditions.

Genuinely Roman mythology deals with more or less historic figures – like the seven kings of Rome –, avatars of social or political processes – like Iulus or Romulus –, or explanations of traditions ex post – like Cloelia or Tarpeia. Its protagonists are neither immortal nor superhuman; not the best conditions to compete on the gaming table with the likes of Horus, Herakles, or Thor. ;)

In essence, I'd either stick with a Romanised version of Greek mythology, perhaps with a focus on "Italic" gods like Saturn, Ianus, or Venus. Or I'd field Etruscans accompanied by a variety of demons, spirits, and hybrid beasts – not necessarily historically/theologically accurate, but good enough for a fun game.