Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:03:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689474
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Why is the avar/lombard helmet being used for byzantine minis now?  (Read 769 times)

Offline ayak333

• Librarian
I was wondering if some one could clear this up for me. The famous theoretically lombard lamellar helmet found that was theoretically based on avar and Asian helmet designs based off the famous plate depicting a steppe warrior is now being heavily used on byzantine sculpts (aventines new early byzantines and the fireforge koursores box art but the actual heads on the sprues don't have them). Does anyone know the basis for the shift in modeling early byzantines with this type of helmet? Is it simply a case of extrapolating that byzantines of the commensurate time period could have used a helmet found in the Balkan area and that those neighboring people's served in byzantine forces so why not use it for byzantine sculpts? Any insight appreciated!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 06:45:36 PM by ayak333 »

Offline Smithy

• Assistant
  • AVENTINE ADAM
Re: Why is the avar/lombard helmet being used for byzantine minis now?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 08:02:39 PM »
Hi Librarian,
Just seen this today with Keith. A quick answer is that the Lombards were used as mercenary cavalry by the Byzantines at least as early as the battle of Taginae in 552. They were known to the Romans as early as the 1st century AD and were considered part of the Suebian peoples, but early Roman histories are perhaps not the most reliable source of information. It's not exactly clear to modern historians where exactly they originated but definitely a western Roman tribe. The earliest Lombard histories, written in the early medieval period suggest they migrated from southern Scandinavia and basically headed east during the migration period. They ended up in modern Hungary. They had fought both Heruls and Gepids in their travels, both tribes well known and used as mercenaries by the Byzantines. It must have been when they were in Hungary that Narses brought them to Italy as mercenaries.  At the battle of Taginae he had them dismount to stiffen the infantry. They seem to have liked the climate as they invaded it along with their allies and subjects in 568.
Plenty of opportunities for 'cross over' of equipment in both directions during this period and I'm sure the Byzantines would have no problem trading with Lombards or taking equipment from dead allies.
 I hope this answers your question.  Adam
'I see lead people'