Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:37:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690588
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Happy Chappy's Jaunt to Burgundy! - (12/11, P.10 - 1420s Foot Knights)  (Read 27520 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Happy Chappy's Jaunt to Burgundy! - (30/09 - Lambert Simnel)
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2019, 11:10:08 AM »
Champion! Wasn't that other famous pretender supported by Burgundy, too? You should do him as well.

In fact, what I'd like to see is a ludicrous and unhistorical tabletop match up: Lambert Simnel vs. Perkin Warbeck!  :)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2019, 07:55:06 AM »
Great idea and conversion.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Thew2

• Bookworm
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2019, 08:20:43 AM »
He looks great!  Excellent use of a hobbit, to make a very believable child pretender.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2019, 09:33:31 AM »
In fact, what I'd like to see is a ludicrous and unhistorical tabletop match up: Lambert Simnel vs. Perkin Warbeck!  :)

That would be fun!!  lol

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Happy Chappy's Jaunt to Burgundy! - (03/10 - Perkin Warbeck)
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2019, 12:24:40 AM »
Champion! Wasn't that other famous pretender supported by Burgundy, too? You should do him as well.

Well, I gotta say you inspired me! So here's another quick update! I've kitbashed together a quick conversion for Perkin Warbeck!

I've tried to base him around the one contemporary drawing of the man, from the 15th century, combined with various portraits of Edward IV:

(However, someone told me the portrait reminded them of that one meme image of Handsome Superman, and I cannot unsee that, so it's now ruined forever!)

I've tried to practice my steady-hand painting here and do some floral embroidery on his doublet (because York and roses and all that), no doubt provided by one of the many royal courts Perkin Warbeck would frequent!

Let me know how he's turned out! I'm quite pleased with him, and he could sub in for other late-15th-century nobles, like Edward IV himself!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 08:33:45 PM by HappyChappy439 »

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2019, 08:34:36 PM »
Whoops! Double-post! I decided to repost the Perkin Warbeck images after giving his face a bit of a touch-up, couldn't let him pretend to be Richard IV with a big ol' smudge on his cheeks!

Offline Thew1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2019, 09:57:44 AM »
Really impressive freehand on your burgundian heraldry and embroidered pretenders. Looks brilliant!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2019, 10:42:27 AM »
Oh nice! Thank you for indulging my crazy whim, and sorry for giving you the extra work.

Chrissie Hynde next, then (that one is a joke).  :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2019, 09:44:16 PM »
Great job on him  :-*

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2019, 10:08:49 PM »
Wow, excellent freehand!

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2019, 05:56:22 AM »
Nice job on Perkin Warbeck!
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Happy Chappy's Jaunt to Burgundy! - (17/10 - 'Mercenary' Pikemen)
« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2019, 01:46:05 AM »
Thanks for the kind words about ol' Warbeck!

As a bit of a tie-in, I've been working on a block of some rough-tough Martin Schwartz mercenary types! Starting off with some pikemen, who I'll support with a few bases of handgunners

Although the main aim was to have them represent the mercenaries hired by Margaret of York to support Lambert Simnel and Perkin Warbeck in their rebellions, I wanted to keep them as generically 'Burgundian' as possible so they could be fielded in a few different contexts. Contemporary descriptions don't really describe them in a whole lot of detail aside from being well armoured, so I went for as many bodies with brigandines and visible plate armour as possible!

But to avoid tying myself to just the assortment of German, Swiss, Flemish and Dutch mercenaries I've kept them fairly livery independent, so there's references to other groups and periods, like some blue/white as a callback to Duke Charles' ordonnance companies, and some outfits to imply other states, like yellow/red for Cleves. The idea being that they could be mercenaries hired by the Dukes of Burgundy (Charles himself hired Martin Schwartz during his campaigns after all), English pretenders, some hastily assembled feudal militia to fight Louis XI after Charles' death or battered remnants of the Ordonnance companies and proto-Landsknecht at Guinegate under Mary and Maximilian

The banner is a fairly simple cross of St. Andrew on a black field, as a little reference to an illuminated version of Philippe de Commines' memoirs from the early 16th century. The illumination is supposed to represent Montlhéry, and although there's no mention of pikemen being present at the battle on either side, the fairly simple banner felt like it could work....plus, I'm a sucker for wordplay and a black banner for Martin Schwartz felt appropriate:
(Way at the back on the Burgundian side)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 01:49:14 AM by HappyChappy439 »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Nice work!  8)

Their livery, normally, would have been that of their captain.

Or possibly given the lay of the land as regards to where they were recruited some may have turned up to muster in their 'town'/'township' liveries.

Apart from that...... it's anyone's guess really :)

Offline SirGromit1879

• Librarian
That Perkin Warbeck miniature is beautiful the coat is really good love the colours. What colours did you use for the red and embroidery?

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
That Perkin Warbeck miniature is beautiful the coat is really good love the colours. What colours did you use for the red and embroidery?

Thanks so much!

So I tried to keep myself to Citadel colours for that one.

The red was (on black primer) - Khorne red, with a black wash, then highlighted with Mephiston red, then once that'd dried, painting over that with the Flesh-Tearers Red contrast paint

The embroidery was a base of Balor Brown with highlights in Screaming Skull.

Thanks again!