Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:47:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689246
  • Total Topics: 118266
  • Online Today: 558
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Diablo Project update: Updated hero 8/17  (Read 25390 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update: 8/11 caves completed
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2020, 09:25:38 PM »
Starting to get some scatter terrain for my caves made up. Well, some fantasy specific scatter terrain at least. I did put together a couple rock piles.

Which may not be all that interesting, but they also do a good stand in for a rock collapse in a tunnel.

But I digress... So the first terrain piece for the caves is a set of tombs. Base is 1mm cardboard, tombs and lids are PVC foam. Shield and sword are some random metal bits, and the cross and metal placards are bits of stir stick. The PVC foam has the added benefit of being carved/impressed in a number of ways, to the mummified corpse inside is a raised relief with the negative space pushed down.

And a Sorcerer for scale:

These will serve as a spawn point for my skeleton forces when it isn't just working to provide some ambiance.

In other news, I have finally read through the Nightwatch rules. Some things I like and some things I'll probably not bother much with. I'm a solo gamer, so I tend to butcher rule sets right and left to suit my whims. I need to get some other gaming out of the way, but I should be in a good place to play my first game this coming weekend. I've broken out the Diablo city tiles again and it looks like I probably have a bit of refresh/update work to do there, but not too much.

More terrain pieces to come!

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update: 8/24 new scatter terrain tombs
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2020, 09:53:01 PM »
Really nice terrain, love the tomb

Offline Stroezie

• Scientist
    • Planet Ares VI
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2020, 04:53:38 AM »
Those are some nice pieces, never under estimate the versatility of a pile of rocks ;)

Would you believe I hadn't even thought about doing some when making scatter for my own caves, doh!
I'll have to remedy that...

Also, just so you know, I'll be stealing that mummy idea, that looks awesome.

Cheers,
Stroezie.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2020, 07:31:53 PM »
Wow! Some really great stuff you have going on here! Cook you been holding out on me! I love the little crypt idea! and the buildings are all great too!
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #109 on: August 25, 2020, 08:25:10 PM »
And a fancier set of sarcophagi. I'm working up the nerve to try my hand at some 15mm scale marble for the white boxes. Just keep reminding myself that if it looks like garbage I can just go back to white  lol

And of course, another mummy resting comfortably! The Wiz for scale.

Tomorrow I'll show off a pair of shrines. One consecrated and one desecrated.

I just ordered a metric ton of beads to start whipping up some piles of containers and other scatter. So the options will be:

And

I figure I'll give them all a mix of earthware/terracotta type paint jobs and scratch build some lids out of 3mm and 5mm hole punches. I can also see some of these making an appearance in 15mm sci-fi and showing up as architectural details in various terrain builds.

Last night's hobby time was spent trying to close in on the completion of my Diablo town. I touched up a little of the town base, and I think it is ready for a final coat of turf. The Church base finally got the base coat of brown done, and the first layer of foundation/stone grey. So next up will be to touch up the paved stone paths and start dry brushing the stone work. The church itself also needs some work by way of figuring out the stained glass/leaded windows. Looking at the swamp/pond elements of the church base, they came out much better than originally planned or conceived. I think the only think I need to do is hit them with a couple coats of gloss varnish.

The next big project will be to crank out some more monsters. I think I left off with the Fallen, so I need to wrap them up and move into the Beast Men.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update: 8/25 new scatter terrain tombs (second piece)
« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2020, 04:23:04 PM »
My two shrines. These will be based for the wilderness, so won't stay "dirt" covered for long. This is the consecrated shrine (something to protect)

And then, of course, the desecrated shrine (something to destroy or restore?)

There is some unused space on the base, so I'm thinking that maybe the desecrated shrine needs a stone pentagram placed next to it, or...? Any thoughts from the crowd?

Buddha statues are pencil erasers that got painted up. Hopefully they will stay ok. Never painted that kind of rubber before. The candles are just pieces of toothpick with a little wood glue dripped over them and painted with a gloss red paint.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update: 8/26 shrines
« Reply #111 on: August 27, 2020, 06:43:24 AM »
Very interesting, I like the statues. The way that there can be that of a shrine and that of ruins. Maybe add a small cauldron all dried out with bone parts setting a long cold fire. Set before some Lizard head stone statue of sorts.

Offline Skullhamma

• Scientist
    • 15mm through space and time blog
« Reply #112 on: August 27, 2020, 01:22:44 PM »
The new additions are fantastic! Your creativity seems to have no limits, Andrew.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #113 on: August 27, 2020, 04:02:04 PM »
Nice ideas, Monkey. I imagine I am capable of sculpting a cauldron of some sort. Might even be able to whip up a graven image or two. That might make a good Bit of set dressing in its own right rather than adding to these.

Skully, I'm sure this is what my wife means when she says I'm "full of it." lol Surely she is just admiring my abundant creativity!

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #114 on: September 02, 2020, 05:53:37 PM »
 :o :o :o

:-* :-* :-*

Offline King of Umbar

• Assistant
« Reply #115 on: September 03, 2020, 08:38:25 AM »
Absolutely fantastic stuff.

Where did you get the beads from?

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #116 on: September 03, 2020, 06:48:36 PM »
Beads are from Amazon (took me forever to find exactly what I was looking for). These really do scale well for 15mm.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08B1CYR34/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B089ZTND8M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I made up three test piles. I'll snap some pictures of them tonight and post them up tomorrow. My hobby week has been nonexistent this week so far. Busy at work and just pooped by the time I get home in the evening.

Thanks, Ock.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #117 on: September 04, 2020, 03:37:37 PM »
As promised, the beads pulling duty as piles of urns/pottery.

Scale shot. Makes a nice barricade.

Fantasy cartel? Guarding the pot dealer's wares?  ;)

Not a half bad little crypt.

Now I need to think up the next bit of scatter. Eventually I'll need to make some pot piles in a basing scheme for dungeons and not caves, or even outdoors. Pretty quick and easy process, and those piles took up about 40-ish of the nearly 300 usable beads in the two packs, so plenty more to come!

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update: 9/4 pots!
« Reply #118 on: September 05, 2020, 03:45:31 AM »
Wow! Those are really nice working like that together. You could use some as planters out side a temple or inside as well. or as some weird torches pots lining the walls every so often or as columns on their own dividing the room in to sections.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update: 9/4 pots!
« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2020, 06:58:17 PM »
I've been working on my cathedral tile. Finally got the hill portion (this sits on the tile itself) moving along. Painted the rest of the flagstone foundations.

Most of the work left on the ground would be dry brushing stones/dirt, and then sprinkling on some turf and clump foliage. The section on the right, on the first stair level up, will be where the mausoleum eventually will sit. Farnham and Griswold figures are standing in for scale.

I finally finished the tavern/inn roof over the weekend. Turned out a bit better than I expected. So with a little more touch up, the town will be complete!