Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:35:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Diablo Project update: Updated hero 8/17  (Read 25158 times)

Offline tjub

• Librarian
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update 7/9: Sorcerers and the Mystical Emporium
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2019, 06:36:56 PM »
Great terrain and really inspirational. Im really tempted to start some more "serious" terrain projects myself. :)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update 7/9: Sorcerers and the Mystical Emporium
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2019, 06:14:12 PM »
Great terrain and really inspirational. Im really tempted to start some more "serious" terrain projects myself. :)

Yeah, I need to sit down and get more serious about this project as well. I've been a bit distracted lately by other works. Looking over your terrain, I love the cork hills. Hills are a thing I've largely avoided until about a year ago. Then my construction material choice ended up being corrugated cardboard. Since I have nothing new to show for this current project (though the hill around the Inn was constructed this way) I'll post some previous cardboard hills and their progression over time. Why not... lol

Most of these were created for my 28mm post apoc terrain. This was the original piece. Just intended to be a big rock in the wilderness. Something to hide behind.

Then I got this idea that I could build a larger hill structure and create inserts where a CD would fit. I could throw the hill out on any number of scenarios and swap the CD bases around as I needed to.

Hill with junk:

Hill with trees:

Nothing in the inserts and a close up of the water feature:

So while the large hill/insert terrain piece was a good test run, I ended up feeling like I didn't go big enough in terms of height, and it ended up eating up a ton of board space during games. The concept proved out well, but the layout wasn't great. So V2.0 will be built this winter. Probably incorporating greater height, and likely not more than 2 insert positions.

The Cathedral and Crypt will be built onto a cardboard hill like this so that they sit high above the town... or moderately above the town  ;) That is really my next terrain build that I need to get cracking on.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update 7/23: musings on hills
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2019, 06:48:03 PM »
Cool concept, looks like it worked a treat.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update 7/23: musings on hills
« Reply #78 on: July 29, 2019, 05:56:35 PM »
It did work well... which is why I decided to do something completely different?  o_o

So, I broke out the town and started lining up the path up to the cathedral. Because I'm essentially a distractible squirrel in a man's body, I decided that suddenly I needed to rework the cobblestone paths. Might as well do it before I start in on the cathedral, I thought. So after a good schmeer of acrylic paste and much scraping to create mortar lines, I ended up with this:

The texture and contour should dry brush well. Then I just need to hit some of the edges with brown to clean up the transitions with the ground.

Here is the Cathedral board. I'll leave the hill teaser for tomorrow, but needless to say I found a decent substitute for the cardboard hills, and I was able to get a fair amount of rise without a lot of effort. Even better, I can leave some of the hill build uncovered with texture to create some good stone slab courtyards.

That will all make sense after my next update:

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update 7/30: Cathedral hill WIP
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2019, 02:24:41 PM »
Here is the big update for the Diablo town this week. The Cathedral tile is finally in production!

So this is how the hill will sit on the tile. This is the northernmost tile, so I don't really need to worry about what matches up beyond that, I suppose. You can see how the path from town will match up to the path up to the cathedral on the south edge of the tile. I'll probably run a path Northeast as well. No intention to add more tiles now, but I might as well give myself a way out if I need to expand east of this.

Here is the Cathedral orientation on the hill. You can see I've started roughing out steps leading up, and the top of the hill surrounding the Cathedral will be a graveyard. The hill itself is constructed of 1x1 unit blocks made out of foam. I bought these at the dollar store and you are looking at something like 1.5 packs of blocks for this build. I wouldn't accuse these of being 1" square, but each block is roughly the same shape and size as every other block.

A better view of the approach up to the cathedral. In order to get some truly flat ground on top of the hill, I may stick some cardboard up there and then blend it into the surrounding ground. The slopes will all be covered in cork rubble and texture paste to hide the biggest of the gaps.

Griswold the Blacksmith for scale. There will be a path that leads to the right of the walled terrace which will lead back to the crypt which will sit on the first level of hill in the top right.

A more bird's eye view of the hill.

Aside from getting the cork tile laid out for cobblestone trails and such, the next big steps would be to clutter/texture the hills and get all the cracks covered up. I'm thinking I may go back and flock the diablo board a bit more solidly than I have to date. Not a complete job, but I would like there to be better coverage.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update 7/30: Cathedral Hill WIP
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2019, 06:06:11 PM »
Looks great, Andy!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update 7/30: Cathedral Hill WIP
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2019, 04:50:22 PM »
Looks great, Andy!

Thanks! It will look at least 27% less like a collapsed circus tent when I'm done with it. Hmm.... maybe 23%  lol

A few minor progress posts. First, I don't think I ever posted pics of the details added to the Blacksmith's shop.

The only terrain piece that has been delayed more than the Cathedral is the Inn. I finally got the acrylic paste skim coat put on and it is ready to move into getting painted.

I used a cheap plastic sculpting tool to create grooved texture into the building above the top timber.

Griswold the Blacksmith for scale. He is a big one for 15mm, so I figure that if he fits then all is well.

I figured I would paint the stairs to the second floor in the same color scheme as the paver stone road.

And a final shot from the second story deck. I need to figure out where the sign will be hung for the Inn. I suppose it makes more sense to be hanging over the road side in the first couple pictures. I'll need to build the sign bracket and get it glued on before I go too crazy with painting.

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update 7/31: WIP Update blacksmith and inn
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2019, 07:29:55 AM »
Hi Andrew!
Your work Is stunning and makes me so nostalgic.... :'(
I didn't understand what rules are you going to useto play? Your own?
If not I strongly suggest you Blood on the Blade. I like It very much.
Solo fantasy rules very simple (suitable for children and wifes - I usually play with my wife and rules too complicated are not an option for me lol), cheap, funny, with character progression, with a free dungeon crawl expansion...
Take a look...
https://gabbigames.wordpress.com/2018/09/01/blood-on-the-blade/
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1884239/blood-blade-quick-review
P.S. I'm not involved neither with the game and the reviews.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update 7/31: WIP Update blacksmith and inn
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2019, 02:45:43 PM »
Thanks for the rule set suggestion. I had thought of mostly doing my own rules and just basing things off of a D100 roll0-under mechanic. Higher level = higher stats = higher success. I figure that is how the game works. Then I can scale enemies to the characters a bit, make them tougher or easier depending on the purpose. I want to make a reason to switch the equipment sets for each class. You would want some crowd control for swarm enemies, some high damage or high defense for dealing with the bosses, etc. Maybe that works under some current rule set, but I'm willing to make a go of it myself if I need to.

Speaking of classes and equipment, I have some WIP pics for my rogue.

Fast attack speed, lower damage, high damage sneak attack and the ability to hide in the shadows and avoid being targeted by enemies:

I normally do fur cloaks in a brown color, but I think his might be grey/black to add to the "hide in shadows" feel.

Archer. Medium damage with some crowd control skills like spread shot or pinning shot. Obviously the other advantage is ranged attacks.

This is a great sculpt, by the way. Good details and so far it has painted up well.

And, as I'm not doing a Diablo II set just yet (though I admit I have given it some thought and purchased a figure that would make a rather mean Necromancer) I have added a touch of Amazon into this equipment set:

Best defense, best damage, no crowd control and slow. Basically good for a boss fight or teamed up with a high defense warrior and a crowd control sorcerer.
http://leadadventureforum.com/gallery/40/15049-020819151129.jpeg

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update 8/2: WIP Rogue class figures
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2019, 08:49:30 PM »
It's great to read about your ideas for glasses. It brings me back to my childhood, where we were statting up toys and then let them fight 'mooks', always winning, always surviving.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2019, 01:18:57 PM »
It's great to read about your ideas for glasses. It brings me back to my childhood, where we were statting up toys and then let them fight 'mooks', always winning, always surviving.

Well, that is pretty true to the game. I mean, you could get "killed" in Diablo, but that was really just a reload or a resurrection. I may consider some rules about reviving other players. Get to them and hit a dice roll within X turns and they just pop right back up. If not, they go back to town and have to get back to their body to pick up their equipment  lol

I made some good progress on the cathedral tile over the weekend. Not sure any of it is interesting enough to post right now as it was just adding texture and gravel. Once I start to get some paint on things I'll start taking pictures. I also started working on the new cobblestone paths for the town. I think the new look is much more pleasing. Now I just need to play with it a bit to make it stand out.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2019, 06:49:05 PM »
Woo hoo! Let the progress recommence!!! So, lots of boring progress with Terrain tile #2 (Cathedral and crypt for now). Here is where I left off for the weekend:

I've established a paver stone road/path that I'm happy with. This is in progress of getting finalized but has the first wash on at least and looks the part. Ponds/murky swamp areas are a little bright, but that will get toned down to look less like a Miami resort pool and more like something you wouldn't want to stick your foot in. Texture is on and blocked out.

Cathedral hill has some starter texture, rubble, block retaining walls, and the cathedral mounting point is all set.

Tiles lined up together:

So I think you can see that the town tile got new paver stone paths. Some more green, some new rocks. This tile is moving in the right direction.

Cathedral hill with the Cathedral in place. The roof has been touched up to give it some more interest. I thought this turned out well.

The tile itself will start to get some greens, dry brushing the dirt, and continue working on the ponds. The hill needs some more work before it is ready to finalize. I'm pondering how to make the green "die" as it approaches the Cathedral to give it an appearance of death emanating from the source.

Back in town, the final holdout on my construction finally got some paint and is ready for a wash/roof.

Oh, and the center of town (well) placeholder got painted so the bare cork would stop staring at me lol.

I hope to sit down and get some scenic shots soon.

Offline D. Brownie

• Scientist
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update 8/13 Cathedral tile progress
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2019, 07:50:47 PM »
Love your project, but don't go too fast lol
Green "die" with some Christmas lights in the basement ???

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2019, 05:51:20 PM »
Love your project, but don't go too fast lol
Green "die" with some Christmas lights in the basement ???

Not all of us can create a tile per day!  lol

I am also habitually distracted by other projects and everything I work on comes when the spirit moves me. I just put my efforts where my greatest excitement lies at the moment. Some days it is the post apocalyptic world, some days deep space sci-fi... sometimes Diablo  :D

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2019, 09:09:37 PM »
great thread good up the good work love seeing diablo come to life :)