Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:43:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Diablo Project update: Updated hero 8/17  (Read 25424 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: 15mm Fantasy project loosely based on Diablo video game
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 04:00:18 PM »
I saw no complaints about pictures today. I will assume all is going smoothly now on that end  :)

The question about the secret cow level has my mind racing. Are there 15mm anthropomorphic cows with halberds on the market? That would be a sonuvagun to convert, but might make a fun eventual addition to the main game! Actually, as a bit of a side quest it could be a simple duel between two characters. Most cow kills wins. The trick being that the last person to kill a cow draws aggro so every kill brings all the cows your way (away from your opponent, so yay) but brings ALL the cows your way. Ok, my brain is hooked... this is going to happen down the line.

Today's update is some work to the blacksmith's shop. Carved a forge out of a wine cork and a piece of cardboard tube from the middle of my pup's poop bags  lol

A weapon rack; one of a couple. The other will be created for the left of the blacksmith's door.

A coat of arms for mounting in the roof peak over the door:

The weapons are all from Ebob's skeleton set. They are 28mm, but with a little trimming (and sometimes with none) the weapons look suitable for 15mm. The sword in the CoA is cut in half so that it lays flat against the shield.

Coat of arms for scale:

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 06:45:26 PM by CookAndrewB »

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 08:38:04 PM »
Looking good. The dungeon kit looks superb.

What are your Overlord minis? I recognise the others and actually have a lot of them but don't think I have seen those before.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 10:04:03 PM »
I am excited to follow this project. 

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 10:11:50 PM »
Gargoyles from Rebel Minis. There are winged, and un-winged versions in the set. I'm planning on using them without wings.
http://www.rebelminis.com/15mmgargoyles.html

They were about as close as I could find to the Overlords. They do stand a smidge taller than the other figures, which also works well.
Reference picture (Butcher)

As an appropriately sized proxy, it works for me. Plus, I'm pretty sure I can green stuff an apron on one of them and do a weapon swap to a cleaver!   lol

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2019, 02:58:49 AM »
Oh, cool! loved fighting the butcher. I just bought it on GOG a few weeks ago as they have re-released it. It hasn't aged too well IMO but still a fun play.
One of my long awaited ideas is to 3d sculpt the levels and release them on DriveThruRPG along with my other stuff. I think my favourite level was the catacombs and those sneaky invisible stalkers, whatever they were called. I hated them!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2019, 04:58:39 PM »
Beefcake, how big do you think the level files would be? I don't currently have a 3d printer, but I think my wife knows it is coming  lol I would be interested in something that prints in 4x4" or 6x6" tiles, but honestly I'm not all that keen on having a million little pieces running around. Well, no more than I've already purchased  :`

Anyway, on to today's updates:

Managed to get mud (acrylic paste) onto Home #1 (now officially Farnham's home):

I have also completed the work on home #2 (Gillian's) and it is ready for the mud treatment:

I went ahead and did the chimney in brown stuff. The cork attempt on this one was... meh

And window/timber done on the back. I think I've settled on wire panes vice wood.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 06:48:13 PM by CookAndrewB »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2019, 05:05:00 PM »
Is anyone else seeing my images vanishing? Or... not seeing them? I feel like every time I come back here the links to the images are broken. I can add them back in but then something changes and I lose some/all of them.

Anyone have any idea what causes that?  :?

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2019, 05:17:16 PM »
No idea, but I can see the images without any problem.
Nice project this  8)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2019, 07:05:11 PM »
No idea, but I can see the images without any problem.
Nice project this  8)

Thank you, kind sir!

And now, some skeleton WIP pictures. As a part of my creative process I always end up naming my works. It just helps my brain fill in the gaps while I'm painting and determines some character that gets added, etc. I suppose some people would call it fluff, but the stories have meaning inside my head. All the skeletons have been named after tarot cards, and not being "people" they are now only known by their former trade or character, but they have no future, only a back story. These skeletons are the deceased buried beneath the Cathedral (mostly), and have been called back to the land of the living at Diablo's command.

The Captain:

Adorned in the finest ceremonial armor, and bearing the helmet that saw him through countless engagements with dark foes of an age gone by, The Captain musters his men from their tombs to make war for a new master. A once brilliant Field Marshall for the kingdom, Diablo has torn his tactical brilliance from his memories. Diablo has no need for wit and cunning, only hatred and blade.

The Hypocrite:

This fallen soldier was lauded with high praise and spoils of war after a particularly gruesome battle, in which only he survived... by hiding. The enemy, having retreated for unknown reasons, this soldier returned to Tristram to a hero's welcome. From there he rose through the ranks to take command, from where he would drive hundreds of men to an early grave. Having grown accustomed to the reputation as a hero, he used his status to motivate his men to certain doom under his poor tactical decision making. With the loss of each unit under him he grew his reputation as a stalwart defender and brave hero for the kingdom. Later he would even go so far as to execute those men who recognized the reckless insanity behind his leadership, branding each one a coward and denying their families any honor earned by the disgraced soldier.

The Judge:

Never a true soldier, this man ruled the high court of Tristram for many years, and most would have lauded him a fair and just man. His sense of justice ensured domestic peace for the duration of his rule, and upon his death the king hailed him as the greatest defender that Tristram had ever known. Diablo takes great pleasure in twisting the broken souls of the just and fair.

The Archivist:

A man of great learning, he travelled the known world working to disprove the occult and endorse rational thought. Quite the task in a world where sorcerers hurl fireballs and demons regularly crawl from the depths of the ground. Thus was his faith in rational thought. For Tristram's kings he brought back a wealth of knowledge and secrets, which earned him a burial at the Cathedral. Unfortunately for this man, a lack of belief was the open door through which Diablo strolled confidently.

The Cabalist:

This man was a wealthy nephew of a king. He enjoyed all that money could offer, but he coveted the throne. Through manipulation and natural talent he worked his way up through the ranks to be a well recognized officer. Regardless of the material benefits that his office entitled him to, he always had a bit more than he should. Some thought him a shrewd businessman, or perhaps blessed. Others whispered of plots and deceit. During his life, this man took what he wanted and profited greatly. The world has long since extracted its pound of flesh for this man's wrongs, but Diablo won't stop collecting his toll until the man is destroyed to the last.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm project loosely based on Diablo video game update 4/22
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2019, 03:39:31 PM »
Farnham's house painted/washed and ready for some flat acrylic coat before moving onto the windows.

I think my camera work leaves something to be desired, but I was pretty pleased with how the chimney turned out.

I'm not totally sure what I'm doing with the windows. If this was a bigger piece, I would feel confident enough getting my brush in there to paint on some reflections, but the space in the window panes is pretty tight on some of these. I'm wondering if just hitting them with gloss over the black, and then painting the wire will be "good enough" for my purposes. Mostly that is a question of whether I'll be happy with it, not whether it is a professional job, or someone else would be happy with it.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm project loosely based on Diablo video game update 4/22
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2019, 07:29:13 PM »
WIP post for the Whizzing Dragon Inn (The Tavern of the Rising Sun sign is AWOL... again)

This is a two piece construction, with the primary purpose of accessing the lower floor being storage of objective markers (dead bodies, treasure, The Tavern of the Rising Sun sign...perhaps).

With the second piece in place:

Stairs going from the Tavern entrance (below) to the Inn entrance above:

I think I'm going to create a hill that wraps around this half (these two sides) of the building:

I have some cork tiles leftover, and I am strongly considering their use as a 2x2' gaming board for the above ground adventures.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 07:33:27 PM by CookAndrewB »

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
Re: 15mm Diablo Project update 4/23: Inn WIP
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2019, 07:19:17 PM »
Update to the Mystical Emporium:

Completed all of the egg carton walls, and finished the last stained glass window.

The two stained glass windows:

Next up is to paint the walls. I would love to spray this as getting in all the little crevices is going to be a pain, but I don't want to get paint on the wood pieces so I can wash them and keep the wood character. I also need to figure out how to goop up the tower.

The Orrery for the roof:

The bronze paint should tone down when I weather it with verdigris wash. The planets need some more touches by way of some wispy clouds on the blue planet, ice cap on the red planet (which is currently black), and the green planet will just get some additional striation.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2019, 04:47:07 PM »
Skeletons are ready to rise from the Cathedral Crypts! These are all "good enough for now" as I have a lot more to go and I would rather get them table ready than be overly detailed. I can see little issues here and there, but once these fellas get plopped down in a dungeon I don't think it will matter to me.

The Captain:

The Hypocrite:

The Judge:

The Archivist:

The Cabalist:

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2019, 09:50:02 PM »
Love the look of the painted building. Using cork for walls is a new one on me but seems obvious now i think about it! And I was painting the same Alternative Armies skellies last night!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2019, 12:01:50 AM »
More lovely stuff. I like the skeletons I have them too.

As to your printing question. If I were to do it (long way off) I'd create them no bigger than 10cm x 10cm, so 4" as you were saying. But that is a long way off I reckon, of I ever do it.