Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:48:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690602
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New 28mm Vietnam ranges - your preferences/favourites?  (Read 6969 times)

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
New 28mm Vietnam ranges - your preferences/favourites?
« on: April 11, 2019, 07:27:48 PM »
I see there are 2 new ranges of Vietnam figs out at the same time.
What one do you prefer and why ?
How good are the existing ranges ?
What are the style differences  ?
Does  one reward more than the other  ?

It would very interesting to hear some impartial views so a correct decision can be made to purchase   a range.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:29:36 PM by Lysandros »

Offline Suetonius Paullinus

• Mad Scientist
Re: New 28mm Vietnam ranges - your preferences/favourites?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 07:59:46 PM »
I know where you coming from buddy but I’m not sure that there is a ‘correct’ decision when it comes to buying toy solders tbh. I go with what I like. Gringo’s range is not even released yet so I think it would be wrong to talk about superiority of one over another at this stage. In the end it will all boil down to personal preference . For my part I’m glad about the Vietnam hype. Bashing one or the other helps nobody 😉
No doubt this will happen at some stage somewhere but I sure hope not here 😊

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 08:09:22 PM »
@Lysandros,

Based on past experience, I would go with Empress Miniatures. I have a lot of Empress modern figures, a few of their Zulu wars and a few late War Germans. All are of the highest possible quality in terms of sculpting, historical accuracy and casting. The sculptor of this range is the renowned Paul Hicks. Paul was the original creator of the Bolt Action range and has sculpted the outstanding Empress Late War collection plus many more ranges.

However, I don't see it as an "either or question" - if Gringo's range is compatible, ie. similar weapon size and sculpting style, I would probably buy some of them too. I don't mind if they are taller or shorter, thinner or fatter because soldiers vary in size.

My Modern figures are mostly Empress and Spectre, with a few others for variety.

Mick Farnworth
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 03:38:28 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 08:11:13 PM »
I see there are 2 new ranges of Vietnam figs out at the same time.
What one do you prefer and why ?
What are the style differences  ?
Is one superior to the other ?

It would very interesting to hear some impartial views so a correct decision can be made to purchase the better range.

I'm really not sure this is the appropriate thread for that discussion. As this has become the Empress thread it wouldn't really be the done thing. I am in agreement with the sentiments of the post above from Suetonius.

(again, this is with my moderator's hat on)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 08:13:22 PM by Elk101 »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 09:19:22 PM »
A valid question but best discussed on it's own.

Hence, I split off this thread.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2019, 07:11:54 AM »
If (or when...) I end up starting yet another project I'd probably go with Empress for most of the miniatures and then sprinkle in some Gringo minis for characters.

This is asuming they match in size. If they dont I'll go with the largest range, no questions asked.

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2019, 07:36:12 AM »
I'm catholic in my preferences. Empress is already on the market and Paul is one of my favourite sculptors, so I that will be my first stop. However, Gringo's is showing nice stuff too, which means that, when it is released, I will also buy from him. I've not problems to combine manufacturers as long as they are more or less compatible, or even if they are not. My FiW collection, for instance, has Eureka and Conquest -now Warlord- miniatures, and Galloping Major, who are giants compared with the other two. In AWI I have Fife&Drum, Kings Mountain and Perrys miniatures. They look perfectly fine as long as I don't mix them in the same unit. 

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 07:56:54 AM »
Mini style and scale being a personal choice, I can be a bit fussy about mixing ranges if weapon/equipment sizes are inconsistent. I too like Paul Hicks work (his Bolt Action were the first minis I bought) and him being twinned with Empress who are very reliable, means I’ve committed to the Empress range. My figures haven’t arrived yet but they look slim, which fits with my expectations from the period imagery. Whether or not I buy Gringos depends on how they compare.

Vehicles are another matter and at 1:50 Empress might be too big for me, but as I’m only intending smaller Huế actions, if I end up being vehicle-less that’s not so much an issue for me. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:09:56 AM by Silent Invader »
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Lysandros

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 08:36:27 AM »
Thanks for the info so far .
When committed to a range l usually stick to it to advoid style changes.
As this a large skirmish project  sometimes its hard to get different manufacturers  to blend but arguably not impossible.
I have always preferred elegant figs , subtle  than bulky charactual gung ho style.
Its horses for courses and we are lucky we have a choice.

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2019, 09:38:00 AM »
As gamers we are a fickle bunch,there is no right or wrong, we choose figures based on a multitude of reasons, ease of painting, accuracy, affordability , sometimes compatability, etc the list goes on.

what we must remember is that as gamers it is just great there are companies and individuals who put their money where there passion is and bring us new ranges to feed our desires. Every manufacturer will have its Passionate supporters but that does not give anyone the right to critiscise another.......

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2019, 09:51:24 AM »
Of course people have the right to fairly critique commercial enterprises.

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 10:40:47 AM »
As I said us gamers are a fickle bunch lol, we are total magpies,  we pick and choose shiny new metal, we all have our favourite sculpts, my collections have sculpts from many sources...I choose what I like for the current project I am working on, regardless of manufacturer, my choices can be based on pose, easy of painting, variety, uniqueness ..!

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 10:59:27 AM »
As I said us gamers are a fickle bunch lol, we are total magpies,  we pick and choose shiny new metal, we all have our favourite sculpts, my collections have sculpts from many sources...I choose what I like for the current project I am working on, regardless of manufacturer, my choices can be based on pose, easy of painting, variety, uniqueness ..!

Of course, each to their own  :)

Offline DaveL

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2019, 11:50:18 AM »
An interesting question, but not sure how you can give a preference since Gringos are only at the start of this project and still have to release their figures.

So I agree with a previous comment and don't think it's appropriate to make comments at this stage. And at the end of the day, each punter will make a choice based on their own conception of the quality and realism and poses of the figures.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2019, 12:48:27 PM »
Let's not forget Bob Murch has a line coming out too, Crucible Crush, I think. They are tied in w some Cthulhu types, but the packs are split between the fantasy and the proper historical. And they are lovely!