Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:51:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689619
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New 28mm Vietnam ranges - your preferences/favourites?  (Read 6945 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: New 28mm Vietnam ranges - your preferences/favourites?
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 01:13:16 PM »
An interesting question, but not sure how you can give a preference since Gringos are only at the start of this project and still have to release their figures.

So I agree with a previous comment and don't think it's appropriate to make comments at this stage. And at the end of the day, each punter will make a choice based on their own conception of the quality and realism and poses of the figures.

To be fair, it does seem that Gringos40  have already commented on their range relative to others  :)

From an (official?) Gringos40 blog post:

https://gringo40s.blogspot.com/2019/04/new-28mm-vietnam-marines-battle-of-hue.html

Kitted out in historically correct uniforms and equipment these minis are our most exciting range to date. Based on actual photographs of the Battle of Hue they will bring an unparalleled level of realism and intensity to the gaming table and 28mm Vietnam modelers vignettes.

Available 2nd Quarter 2019 these are the Vietnam War miniatures worth waiting for.

:D

Btw, as commented above, I don’t have an axe to grind as I might well buy from both ranges. I just don’t think that the OP is out of order in asking which range is, say, “unparalleled” or otherwise, say, “worth waiting for” when one of the manufacturers marketing blurbs says as much.  ;) :)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline coldm2231

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 01:17:43 PM »
I love the Force of Arms stuff. Sold mine years ago when this period stagnated but recently ordered a load more. Thankfully I hung on to their 1/56 vehicles so will be sticking with that scale that I prefer. Full Metal Minatures also has a promising line of vehicles in 1/56 about to be released, which is apparently going to include an LVTP!

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 01:19:36 PM »
I love the Force of Arms stuff. Sold mine years ago when this period stagnated but recently ordered a load more. Thankfully I hung on to their 1/56 vehicles so will be sticking with that scale that I prefer. Full Metal Minatures also has a promising line of vehicles in 1/56 about to be released, which is apparently going to include an LVTP!

That’s very useful to know as I prefer 1/56 vehicles

Thanks!

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2019, 01:24:53 PM »
I must admit I'm not sure of the function of this discussion, it sounds close to what we suffer more and more from mass media, this against that, draw a line in the sand, a big versus sign attached to something which isn't that simple, etc. This verges on the argumentative, when there's no argument to start with. There can't be impartiality with mini's as we all have preferances and bias, Lysandros expressed his own, just as there's no correct choice. As for better well you've two fine sculptors working for two well established manufacturers (In the Empress v Gringos scenario) so it's better over simplified to win/win I think.

I've seen this type of discussion on lesser forums so if this is the way LAF is going to go I may become a 6mil extremist and plot to overthrow the 28mm patriarchy/hegemony with acts of random dumbness with the evangelical zeal of the terminally stupid. Can't wait!  lol

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 01:32:24 PM »
Rest assured Phil, we'll be keeping an eye on this one to make sure it doesn't become an argument. There's room for more than one range in any period and different people like different aesthetics. Hopefully it's a win - win for customers and manufacturers alike. 'Best' is subjective. I'm just pleased there's so much choice coming, we surely can't complain about that  lol

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2019, 01:46:41 PM »
Elk101, I'm perpetually assured by the high levels of moderation on here, fear thee not.  ;)

Being spoilt for choice is a good thing of course, but I'm readying my Stalinesque purge none the less. There will be but one choice chumrade, the correct choice whether the enemies of 6mm want it or not. Forward to Victory... and really tiny figures!

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2019, 02:22:28 PM »
a 28mm LTVP5 will be simply.... huuuuge. The P-7 is already a beast. But the p-5 is something like a brontosauros. I saw a picture of a friend close to a ROCMC one and knowing my friend size... well the beast is a beast. And I do not envy the poor chaps who had to drive them, especially to bring them back to the tank park...  lol
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2019, 02:25:10 PM »
I am not nailing my colours to any mast.

I have two packs from Empress (from Salute) which will be my test build and paint. I like Empress miniatures (they lag only a short distance behind Crooked Dice and Hasslefree in providing radiation shielding), but that does not mean that I will not be utilising Gringos figures and vehicles.

Colours will be expensive...

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2019, 03:10:23 PM »

I just bought a fair amount of FOA from John Bruce that still have some stock of the miniatures left. Great sculpts I must say and I believe they will be a good fit to the new Empress beauties

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2019, 03:11:25 PM »
I’ve been looking for who sells them, so John Bruce you say. Thanks.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2019, 03:24:28 PM »
I’ve been looking for who sells them, so John Bruce you say. Thanks.

You can reach him at email: profpate at gmail.com

He still has most of the miniatures in stock while the vehicles were sold to Warlord so I guess it will take a few years before we see them  :'(

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2019, 03:49:46 PM »
Thank you

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2019, 04:23:58 PM »
I just bought a fair amount of FOA from John Bruce that still have some stock of the miniatures left. Great sculpts I must say and I believe they will be a good fit to the new Empress beauties

That's very good news if they'll tie in, as I already have some FoA.

Offline Paratrooper 42

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2019, 02:21:43 PM »
Empress for me, based on availability and I prefer the more realistic proportions of Mr Hick's sculpts.  May be tempted to buy a few from others if they get released.

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2019, 05:23:01 PM »
I like a lot the "wargame figures" look of Gringo´s models; all of them look like characters of the Nam comic with their own stories.