Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:29:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690726
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New 28mm Vietnam ranges - your preferences/favourites?  (Read 6974 times)

Offline coldm2231

• Assistant
Re: New 28mm Vietnam ranges - your preferences/favourites?
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2019, 03:15:53 PM »
Full Metal Miniatures have just released a 1/56 M41 and M42 Duster... just ordered one of each!

Offline mrcleh

• Bookworm
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2019, 09:23:23 PM »
Very nice, I just ordered one as well!

Do you happen to know if there are crew figures planned?

Offline coldm2231

• Assistant
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2019, 09:49:02 PM »
End of the month apparently for Duster crew

Offline mrcleh

• Bookworm
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2019, 10:12:48 PM »
Very nice, thanks for the heads up!

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2019, 12:56:32 AM »
Full Metal Miniatures have just revealed the first of their USMC sculpts. Seems that everyone is getting started with a healthy dose of 'Oorah!' I understand the Marine is a common image of the war in Vietnam, but I can't imagine many of us will be buying more than a platoon's worth of USMC. I suspect the saturation of the market will result in at least one of the manufacturers not receiving the expected return on their investment in the new range.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2019, 10:09:28 AM »
Full Metal Miniatures have just revealed the first of their USMC sculpts. Seems that everyone is getting started with a healthy dose of 'Oorah!' I understand the Marine is a common image of the war in Vietnam, but I can't imagine many of us will be buying more than a platoon's worth of USMC. I suspect the saturation of the market will result in at least one of the manufacturers not receiving the expected return on their investment in the new range.

Judging by that figure and the Viet Cong they have produced so far, I think I can predict which one.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2019, 05:48:10 PM »
Judging by that figure and the Viet Cong they have produced so far, I think I can predict which one.

That was going to be my own comment, Carlos. Not a good beginning for another foray in the same hunting ground...

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2019, 08:35:15 PM »
Yep, my thoughts exactly gents.

Although considering they're up against the likes of Paul Hicks, I'm somehow not surprised  ;)

Offline mrcleh

• Bookworm
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2019, 07:28:58 PM »
The picture of the M60 gunner is not the first USMC sculpt by Full Metal Miniatures. They actually have 4 packs for sale in their shop and had so for a while as far as I can tell.

That said I wasn't impressed by the pictures in their shop and decided to wait for the brilliant Paul Hicks' sculpts. ;)

But I ordered the recently released M42 Duster by Full Metal Miniatures and got it in the mail today. Imagine my surprise when I not only found the Duster in the package, but also a sample pack of sorts containing two of their USMC. I think that is a very nice touch - and a pretty smart marketing move.

Having seen the miniatures in the flesh I have to say: The pictures in their shop don't do them justice at all. They are actually very good, sculpting and casting quality are very high!

That being said, here is what irks me: The shape of the helmet on these guys is wrong. The shape is more akin to early Cold War Soviet helmets. Secondly, there is nothing in the sculpting that suggests that there is actually a camo cover on the helmet, they might as well be bare.

And here is another problem, at least for me as I have bought into Empresses' offering: They are HUGE. Not in the Warlord sense that they are beefy, actually the proportions are fine. They simply are very large 28mm. They are way larger then Empress, Warlord and even larger than Artizan, which I find to be pretty damn large (I compared these guys to Arizans WW2 GIs in greatcoats). That really is a shame - Apart from the helmet issue I would have had no problem mixing in these guys with the Empress Marines as far as proprotions and general quality is concerned. But the difference in scale makes that impossible for me.

Here is a comparison shot between Empress and Full Metal Miniatures:

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2019, 07:56:02 PM »
That Blooper appears to come from Gorkamorka...

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2019, 09:15:42 PM »
At last! A wombat gun that you could actually fit a wombat down the barrel.

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2019, 10:25:23 PM »
That Blooper appears to come from Gorkamorka...

Yes indeed, very 40K. I find it odd that someone would go to all that trouble and then put the wrong lid on it.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2019, 10:29:24 PM »
Great … now I've got Stan Ridgeway's 'Camouflage' as an ear-worm.

'Whoa Camouflage,
Things are never quite the way they seem,
Whoa Camouflage,
This was an awfully big marine.
'
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2019, 12:38:30 AM »
I'm really surprised to see the size difference, especially considering their vehicle range is on the smaller side at 1/56.

Anyone know if their VC are of a similar scale? Looks like I'll be sticking with Empress and the Hicks sculpts for my 28mm adventures.

Offline Shipka

• Mastermind
    • RussoTurkishWar1877
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2019, 08:15:11 PM »
size these days is subjective, one chooses the figures that portray in ones minds eye the best reflection of the soldiers they portray. Obviously if one is looking to mix figures then it can be an issue, however one tends to stick with a range where you like a sculptors style coupled with dynamic poses and accuracy.

Most of my collections are made up from figures from various manufacturers, if a figure is on the short side I USE A THICKER BASE!