Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:53:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The invasion of plastic 28MM figures.  (Read 3291 times)

Online ulverston

• Scientist
The invasion of plastic 28MM figures.
« on: April 11, 2019, 10:34:30 PM »
Hi Chaps,

I have been gaming for an awful long time and as a predominantly solo player the availability of all the 28MM plastics feels like war gaming heaven. But... I started to read DBA and do miss the game and the collecting of the smaller scale armies which now seem a tad expensive compared to 28MM!

I was wondering-other than tooling costs-what would keep a company from producing their figures in the smaller scale? The market would still be there I assume? Plastic Soldier Company seem to have had success with the smaller scale and for larger battles (Black Powder) it would seem to make sense?

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated-I love being able to buy 28MM now and would not change anything but occasionally I miss the old 15mill and would love to see it re appear in plastic.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
Re: The invasion of plastic 28MM figures.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 11:27:10 AM »
Why not play DBA in 28mm?
That's what I do; much nicer than 15mm.

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 03:47:31 PM »
Besides PSC, Wargames Factory made two boxes of 15 mm WWII figures some years back.

Online ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 04:12:13 PM »
DBA IN 28mm... never thought about that really, never played it in that scale but it may be worth considering.

As for PSC YES i believe thay sold well.... could you imagine the demand for ACW OR Napoleonics? just wondered what was stopping companies doing 15MM in plastic.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 12:23:49 AM »
There was another thread about this same thing a while back... somebody came up with some facts and figures as to why it was not so commercially viable in 15mm.
I have played some DBA in 25/28mm (with my friend's old DBA armies) and the small number of figures needed for an army quite impressed me. It is quite do-able in 28mm.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Online ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 07:48:15 AM »
Your probably right Vodkafan...these things are usually down to money. I will have a look for the post and do some math regarding building a few 28Mil DBA armies

Offline MartinR

• Scientist
    • The games we play
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 08:32:16 AM »
My DBA Armies are almost exclusively 20mm plastic, Hat, Zvezda, Italieri, even some old Airfix figures.

Dirt cheap and with far more realistic proportions than many metal goblins.
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 07:26:13 PM »
I second 20mm / 1:72 plastics!
In 28mm (mostly fantasy and scifi) I'm a metal man. But I'm doing all my historical stuff in that scale. You have to get used to that softer plastic. But I enjoy the number of manufacturers, that I can get them at my local model shop for a reasonable price and that they have more realistic proportions. Bulky sculpts are okay for fantasy barbarians, not for realistic celts.
But I guess it won't be much cheaper than 15mm metal. You can get a DBA starter army for like 30€. How much cheaper can a complete force for a game get?
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 08:52:32 PM »
I based my Foundry Conquistadors for DBA.  Think it worked rather well.

LINK

Online ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2019, 12:21:25 PM »
Those figures are beautiful! I will now have to seriously consider DBA IN 28MM... astounding.

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2019, 05:44:55 PM »
I play DBA in 15mm and 28mm. I must say, 28mm looks so much better.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2019, 09:26:32 PM »
Those figures are beautiful! I will now have to seriously consider DBA IN 28MM... astounding.

Thanks.

By coincidence, have you seen this thread?

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=116613.0

More 28mm DBA

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 12:47:04 AM »
I used ti think plastic was the future until recently tried to sit down and put together some plastics after about a decade of just doing one off/small scale metal mini projects...sweet baby Jesus it was such a chore with all the various mold lines and such, i've now stalled and am seriously considering just giving up.

I'd rather pay extra for one-piece metal minis.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 11:28:31 AM »
Many historical metal minis require assembly, and are much more of a pain to assemble than plastics. I just assembled the Gripping Beast Saladin, who is a lovely chap, but he comes in 5 pieces, plus a horse.
Plastics at least stick very securely with plastic cement.

Online ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 05:57:28 AM »
Just catching up and had a look at the 28MM DBA game-it did look very effective though I am not sure I could live long enough to start DBA in 28... as for fiddly plastics I have just put together 8 modern infantry from Warlord (thanks Alan) and I agree they are a pain.