Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:33:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686641
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Black Summer- Netflix does zombies  (Read 5432 times)

Offline Agent Brown

• Bookworm
Black Summer- Netflix does zombies
« on: April 11, 2019, 11:42:02 PM »
Black Summer is out on Netflix and well worth your time.  Created and directed by John Hyams, it's supposedly meant as a prequel to Z Nation but has a completely different tone, being far more grounded and having none of Z Nation's sillier moments.
Eight episodes of varying length depending on what the story needs (for example, one action packed episode is only 20 minutes long). Other episodes have almost no dialogue while another shows how utterly unprepared we would be to deal with this as five people are shown to be incapable of killing two zombies.
Coming from the director of Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning and Regeneration there's plenty of brutal action but also extremely thoughtful moments of genuine depth. Great stuff and far superior to the Walking Dead imho.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
Re: Black Summer- Netflix does zombies
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 01:32:36 AM »
Thanks for the tip. Had seen the trailer but didn't get the date when it would get on Netflix. Had more fun with the first 2 episodes than the entire run of "Fear the Walking Dead" (which have some cool episodes at start of season 1 but then go off the board).

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2019, 03:09:29 AM »
Looking forward to this.
I really enjoyed Z-Nation until it got more and more
there and ridiculous.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2019, 04:55:50 PM »
Thanks for the tip. Had seen the trailer but didn't get the date when it would get on Netflix. Had more fun with the first 2 episodes than the entire run of "Fear the Walking Dead" (which have some cool episodes at start of season 1 but then go off the board).
If you get the opportunity, it is worth checking out series 4b (episodes 4.9 onwards) of FTWD,. It is much improved [spoilers], possibly due to a radical recast [spoilers] a-la "Red Wedding".

I have Black Summer tagged.

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2019, 08:43:54 PM »
Yep, totally agree about Black Summer.  I just finished binging on it over two nights.  I found it very gripping with some genuinely tense and challenging moments.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 01:17:44 AM »
If you get the opportunity, it is worth checking out series 4b (episodes 4.9 onwards) of FTWD,. It is much improved [spoilers], possibly due to a radical recast [spoilers] a-la "Red Wedding".

I have Black Summer tagged.

I'll check it out. I have all the episodes saved on my HD ;)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 08:51:50 AM »
Apparently it has no connection to Z-Nation after all, which probably explains the tone difference.

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 12:16:27 AM »
I watched 1st episode and part of 2nd.

I like it so far. But i hate running zombies. Can only watch it during the day I fear. Need to let my brain process.

Episodes have titles breaking up storyline.

1st episode was cool in that it showed multiple persons viewpoints of an incident.

Acting isn't great though. Some interesting characters.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 09:30:02 AM »
Apparently it has no connection to Z-Nation after all, which probably explains the tone difference.
Gibby, where did you see this?

Grimm

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 05:24:11 PM »
The Wiki has this to say:

Connection to Z Nation
The connection between Black Summer and its parent series will take a similar approach as the relationship between Fear the Walking Dead and The Walking Dead, as there are no plans for any of the characters from Z Nation to appear in the companion prequel series.[14] Z Nation actor DJ Qualls revealed at San Diego Comic-Con that the Syfy series takes place "quite a long time" after the event of Black Summer, making him feel that the cast is "too old" for a crossover to work.[11] However, the two series do share "most to all of [their] writing, directing, and producing staff" as well as a production company, The Asylum.[1][14]

The show's starring actress Jaime King, claimed the series has no connection whatsoever to Z Nation, therefore it's a standalone show.[18]

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 05:31:15 PM »
Gibby, where did you see this?

Grimm

I read an article that quoted Jaime King:

“It's interesting because people started tying [Black Summer] to Z Nation and I'm like this has nothing to do with that. It's not a link to Z Nation. I had never actually seen Z Nation or heard about Z Nation, but I have friends who absolutely love that show, and then people started putting it out there that it was like a prequel of Z-Nation, which it's not. So there was a moment when it was kind of confusing because I was like, wait, how is this related? And really there is no relationship, but the relationship is it came from the people that were involved with Z Nation, but that's where I think it all the sudden became, oh this must be a straight up zombie genre show, and it's so much deeper than that. If you want to see the meaning and the drama and the truth, it's there. And if you're in and down and love something that is genre-bending and terrifying because it's so honest, it's also there. It's got everything. And it was really exciting to blend all of these genres together. That tells a true great story.”

Not sure whether she is out of the loop as many places are saying it's the same universe as Z Nation. But the tonal shift seems a bit weird to me if they intended it to be related.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 08:11:37 AM »
The Wiki has this to say:
Well as usual with Wiki you can take it with a grain of salt because that entry is inaccurate.

I read an article that quoted Jaime King:

Not sure whether she is out of the loop as many places are saying it's the same universe as Z Nation. But the tonal shift seems a bit weird to me if they intended it to be related.
I will stick with "out of the loop" for now. As every article I have read thus far states it is the  Z Nation world, with the story  being more serious in nature and tone.

Grimm

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2019, 04:59:34 PM »
Got ac chance to watch it last. Intended to watch one episode and ended up watching three.
I like it. Although I do wonder if most everyone would turn bad and evil so soon. Would also
like more zombies.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 07:40:00 AM »
I did not like Z nation to comical.  But this one is really good so far Love the 1st episode when you can see the same incident from different perspectives (kind of like one of my favorite Halloween movies "trick r treat")
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 08:30:16 AM »
This is next on my list once I have finished watching the British (and one Commonwealth) Olympic Scenery Chewing team consume their combined bodyweights in sets per episode. Honourable mentions must also go to Cancer Man, Wesley and the post war boss of Roxxon.

I think the next season of Z-Nation is now on Netflix (and iZombie is due in May).