Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:20:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686447
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Black Summer- Netflix does zombies  (Read 5428 times)

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Black Summer- Netflix does zombies
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2019, 07:28:08 AM »
Bit disappointed in the ending, it was to unbelievable and short and most question are not answered and left hanging.  It is still worth watching.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2019, 10:49:34 AM »
I have started watching it.

Clever concept,

I wonder if it can keep up the momentum.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2019, 01:40:16 PM »
Just finished it.

Very good.

Max Brooks is correct about the emphasis on firearms, admitedly you would not want  "fast zombies" to close on you, but no one picked up any melee weapons (except the bizarre choices in the diner) when there were no firearms.

One thing you always need to remember is that we (well most of us) as viewers are "Genre Savvy", we know headshots are the only way to stop them etc. The characters are not. However you do expect them to learn from experience (as an aside, that was odd about TWD and FTWD, in the former it was well into series two - Better Angels - that we find out that you die - you turn. In FTWD it was very quickly determined by the characters).

In answer to a question further up the thread, I suspect that things would fall apart pretty quickly once "authority" is removed.  We saw that in 2011.

Plenty of plot threads for the next series.

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2019, 02:03:44 PM »
I watched the first 3 episodes last night.......

I am struggling with the characters and how they have been written.... it's 6 weeks since the outbreak if I'm correct, you would assume that to survive those initial 6 weeks you need to be lucky, have some form of intellect and be able to handle situations, all those qualities appear to be missing from the people, strolling around hand in hand down the street, holding maps but NOT A SINGLE WEAPON...... shouting for each other inside houses when they know that noise attracts the Zombies....

It was quite infuriating to watch such a bunch of idiots running around without any hint of 'grab a hammer/knife/gun etc'.

The story writing is odd and very off, amateurish when compared to the competitors Netflix has.....

I'll most likely keep watching though and hope it gets better, I hated the first 3 season of Fear the Walking Dead, but enjoyed the 4th, so lets hope Black Summer and it's cast eat some intellect pills and figure out to keep quiet and grab a few weapons ;-)
COMMISIONS OPEN - I CUSTOM KITBASH YOUR MODELS. 40K, STARGRAVE, NECROMUNDA, AoS; FORBIDDEN PSALM

https://withkoji.com/@IsItSheerMadness

Offline Rossyuk

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2019, 03:28:26 PM »
I enjoyed it. but a bit hit and miss. Anyone notice when they collect guns they never collected the ammo but lo when they come to use the guns they all have lots of magazines. Worth a watch though.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2019, 08:24:17 AM »
@King Arthur:
I mentioned above the absence of viable melee weapons.

One point to remember is that the initial set up was in a "safe" area and the soldiers  were checking for weapons.

However, there were opportunities to pick up melee weapons  at various points.

Maybe there was a reflection on Max Brooks' comments on how bad it got in the USA compared to Europe due to a fixation on firearms over melee (improvised or otherwise). In TWD, it took a while to notice that use of firearms attracted more walkers. Maybe those with guns used them, and those that did not survived (especially with the level of marksmanship displayed in a "you die, you turn" environment).

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 03:13:25 AM »
Started watching it the other night, still have few more to go, I'm liking it very much, I like the little side things that you see and happens, but not really part of the main story. Slow shambling zombies are nice and scary BUT running zombies! Scar the WILLIES out of me, only because I just can run as far or as fast as I use too.
Just remember "If the Enemy is in range, so are YOU!

http://silo1313.blogspot.com/

Offline Corporal Chaos

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 08:04:44 PM »
@War Monkey remember you do not have to be the fastest, just faster than the guy behind you.... and you could always trip someone... :D >:D lol
I should be painting right now.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 08:11:02 PM »
@War Monkey remember you do not have to be the fastest, just faster than the guy behind you.... and you could always trip someone... :D >:D lol
Or follow Shane's method.

The problem is that once the victim/distraction has "died", you have another one on your tail (the couple being chased being an example of the problem).

They do not seem to hang about to scoff their meals.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 08:15:41 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 08:12:17 PM »
I do literally have more weapons in my toolbox and shed than the entire cast of that show. Come on guys, how difficult is it to pick up a hatchet? A hammer? Just a rolling pin then?

But yeah, running zombies are nasty, Although the zombies seem to have good sprinting form and balance, and know how to pace themselves into a three quarter pace then go flat out for the final few yards.

I am enjoying the show, but picking apart bits you would do differently if you were in charge of the world is just a compulsory exercise.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 03:03:14 PM »

I am enjoying the show, but picking apart bits you would do differently if you were in charge of the world is just a compulsory exercise.

This is true. It was a sad day when I realised that, were the zed apoc to hit, my ill preparedness would probably lead me quickly to robbing my neighbours in desperation  o_o

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2019, 04:09:37 PM »
This is true. It was a sad day when I realised that, were the zed apoc to hit, my ill preparedness would probably lead me quickly to robbing my neighbours in desperation  o_o
Being prepared is a two edged sword, if you have read "Lucifer's Hammer" you know that being prepared can paint a target on your house.

Offline War Monkey

• Mastermind
    • Silo1313
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2019, 11:43:13 PM »
We just finished watching the series, and yes I have been picking it apart as well, much I would have done so differently, one can be prepared without raising red flags with your neighbors, you just have to lock your doors if someone comes pounding on your door and fast running Zombies they wont be knocking for long.  lol   

Offline Raptoruk

• Schoolboy
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2019, 09:10:06 AM »
I am watching the series at the moment but find the stupidity of the cast very frustrating especially the actions after the school in episode 3 or 4, the guy on his own shouting for help ?? then finding like a fully stocked unlooted store and not wedging the auto opening doors closed beggars belief. I enjoy it overall but chafe at these assumptions that most would be so scared as not to pick up or look for a melee weapon or try and slow an adversary down by closing a door to be a stretch of its believability.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2019, 01:00:37 PM »
I quite enjoyed it.

The survivors appear quite naive but I think you can chalk most of that up to us gamers being genre savvy as UVS said earlier in this thread.

If you mainly watch soaps and romantic comedies, live in an appartment in the city and work in an office, you're not likely to know how to kill a zombie and you even if you manage to find an axe, you probably wont be very good with it.

Most people arent used to violence and for many the flight response is stronger than the fight response.

I think its a fairly realistic depiction of how most people would react.