Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:39:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686589
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Seeking Uniform Information re the Legion Germanique 1792  (Read 785 times)

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
Seeking Uniform Information re the Legion Germanique 1792
« on: April 13, 2019, 06:37:06 PM »
I am working on a French army for the Vendee, and am trying to find any information on the "Light Cuirassiers" of the Legion Germanique in 1792-93. The uniform for the infantry, lancers and artillery is available, but I've not found anything on the Light Cuirassiers. Rob Harper's new book - "Fighting the French Revolution - The Great Vendee Rising of 1793" describes them as wearing a buff coat, a metal helmet, cuirass and arm protection, further stating that the Vendeens weapons would do them no harm, so they would move aside as they charged and then leap on the horse to dismount them and then to dispatch them.

Does anyone have any information or a source they can share on this unit?

I am also assuming that the battalion of Arquebusiers were a line battalion and not a light infantry one.

Thank you!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." - Richard Adams

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson

Offline Peterem

• Assistant
Re: Seeking Uniform Information re the Legion Germanique 1792
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 11:55:20 PM »
I can add copper-plated cuirasses (and gold plated ones for the officers). My source, apparently the same as Harper's, is Arthur Chuquet's history of the unit ("La Legion Germanique 1792-3", Paris 1904 but available online via Google Books if you're ok with the French).

The main problem with all this is that the uniforms mentioned are not taken from in-service descriptions, but a "Capitulation" from the legion's first commander Dambach - essentially a pitch to Robespierre to let him go ahead to form the unit. The Cuirassiers Legers were one of his pet theories, along with the Regimental Anthem...

The Legion was certainly formed with units called "Curassiers", "Piconniers" and "Arquebusiers" etc. But given the state of France in 1793 it is highly unlikely that much of the planned uniform and exotic items of military equipment to go with those names were ever issued or carried into action during the Legion's brief (and less than effective) military career. On the other hand some attempt was apparently made to buy lances for the Piconniers, although no-one seems to have thought of targeting recruits who knew how to use them!

All the best,
Peter

Offline ts

• Scientist
Re: Seeking Uniform Information re the Legion Germanique 1792
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 10:42:55 AM »
I suggest, you try to find someone, who has access to the volumes of:
Les corps de troupe de l'émigration française (1789 - 1815) with Illustrations by Baron Louis de Beaufort.
Les Editions de la Sabretache, 1957-1964.
I am rather sure illustrated plate(s) and further informations can be found there.