Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:53:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686592
  • Total Topics: 118109
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bolt Action Soviets  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Russ justice

• Librarian
Bolt Action Soviets
« on: April 13, 2019, 06:59:00 PM »
Here are a few more of my Soviets from Warlord Games. I'm a real fan of plastic figures and here's why

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Bolt Action Soviets
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 07:09:26 PM »
A lot of motion in these figs !

Offline Tabletopengineer

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 02:56:51 PM »
Love your work, both these and the sailors. Ive started my own soviet force to play but haven't started printing!
Would you mind listing some of the main paints you have used please?

Offline Russ justice

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 03:21:30 PM »
A lot of motion in these figs !
thank you, it's surprising how many different poses you can come up with when using plastic figures.

Offline Russ justice

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 03:42:11 PM »
Love your work, both these and the sailors. Ive started my own soviet force to play but haven't started printing!
Would you mind listing some of the main paints you have used please?

Thank you and yeah no problem, the colours are mainly Vallejo. The bulk of the colours are Med cam brown or khaki grey for the jackets, throw in a few painted in British uniform. The lighter colours for the trousers are khaki or German beige, I mainly use citadel washes agrax earthshade and nuln oil depending on how dark the base colour is. Japanese uniform is used to mix in with the med camo brown for highlights, I try to avoid using white to highlight the darker colours. The sailors are painted using dark sea blue, wash over with a double coat of nuln oil, let each coat dry before you apply the next coat. Then reinstate the dark sea blue, then highlight by adding dark prussian blue and finish by adding a very small amount of white. It's easy to over do it, that's one drawback of white and that's why I try not to use it much. Hope that helps,  but if if you've got any questions or I havnt explained it very well just give us a shout and I will try my best to help.  I'm out and about so its possible I've got the dark sea blue wrong!

Offline Paratrooper 42

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 11:57:36 AM »
I'm starting to get back into gaming WW2 and/or Vietnam and have always used metals in the past. To be fair the only multipart plastics that were about then were the Airfix and Tamyia 1:35 scale stuff.

Looking at what you're managing to do with the plastics I must say I'm tempted to try them

Offline Russ justice

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 01:32:22 PM »
I'm starting to get back into gaming WW2 and/or Vietnam and have always used metals in the past. To be fair the only multipart plastics that were about then were the Airfix and Tamyia 1:35 scale stuff.

Looking at what you're managing to do with the plastics I must say I'm tempted to try them

I cut my teeth on Airfix back in the day, although as you say they were 135th. It's being a while since I painted any thing much in that scale. I'm as you can probably tell im a true plastics fan,  they are easy to work with! You can pretty much mix and match parts and create individual figures. Ok some can be a tad fiddly to start with but once you get the hang of them well I'm guessing the results speak for themselves.

Offline Russ justice

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 04:48:59 PM »
A few more of my Soviets

Offline Russ justice

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 05:25:55 PM »
I've managed to add one small piece to my collection! Its took a while but I've finally got it finished Soviet MG team from Warlord Games 28mm plastic figures