Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:30:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help running a convention game.  (Read 1463 times)

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
Help running a convention game.
« on: April 14, 2019, 12:49:41 PM »
So our small club has signed up for a booth at a local comic con. We can either run a demo game or a participation game. I'd love some advice or guidance on the merits of one v. the other, also important things to keep in mind.
The only thing we have done before is run some Wings of Glory participation games at local one day events. I just dont feel that it really showcases the hobby enough though.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Help running a convention game.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2019, 12:58:25 PM »
I remember Wings of Glory being simple enough (in its basics) to be well-suited for convention play and a robust ruleset. Out of the box, though, there's not much that separates it from more classical boardgames compared to tabletop miniature games (it sits in between, such as Zombicide or the Conan boardgame).

If you wish to highlight the interactive aspects (e.g. modelmaking) a bit more, why not do a special game board, such as modelling a landscape and either playing on that, or if it is too much of an issue with placing and moving the bases, add a clear perspex sheet above that for the planes to move on.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 08:56:45 AM »
Would a WW1 game attract comic-con attendees?  I’d have gone for a superhero game or perhaps Viking/barbarian raiders or a sci-fi skirmish. 
Got to agree with the model-making aspect, that might well appeal to the costumed attendees particularly?  If participation, keep the rules/scenario simple and brief, with plenty of decision making on the part of the players.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 12:56:18 PM »
If I where to do a 28mm WW1 or SAGA game (both of which I have a collection for) would it be better to do as a demo game or try and make it participation?

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 01:07:00 PM »
Participation every time - no better way to attract people to something new than letting them try it.

I’d also suggest writing your own set, or massively culling down a commercial set -  if you can’t explain the rule dynamic in the opening minute or so, then drop it, and punters should be able to pick up everything they need to know about the game in the first 5 minutes.

:)

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 01:32:37 PM »
Thats a tall order. I could do a big game of Muskets and Tomahawks as those rules seem to be really easy to pick up on the fly.

If I did a participation game should I set several start times through out the day for people to show up at? Or let people just jump in as the game is going?

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 03:03:57 PM »
What about blood and plunder? I have heard it makes for a great convention game though I have not yet played. I do have several ships and crews. Could put together a nice island and fort for the terrain side?

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2019, 03:34:57 PM »
Thats a tall order.

Not really, whenever my team’s done participation we’ve usually done our own rules.  Quick and dirty version:
Move = the span between index finger and thumb (kids get double that)
Shooting = umpire gives a percentage chance from point blank = 98% to both firer and target moving and in some sort of cover = 10%.  Common sense approach and a little tweaking to help kids.
Hand to Hand = scissors, paper, stone.  Best of one for average figures or best of three for armoured/super powered figures.
Anything not covered by the above that the players come up with (I want to jump from one roof to another) then percentage dice/cut cards against the umpire usually resolves it.

I’d take the view that you're trying to sell the concept of wargaming to a virgin audience rather than a specific set of rules. By all means have a couple of period-specific rule books around to show the more complex approach but to attract them in, keep the action fast-paced, plenty of quick decisions for players, 30-60 minute games max and have fun.

Just my approach, YMMV.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2019, 03:46:59 PM »
We have run participation games at various conventions for many years now.
Decide if it one long game or several short ones - we have always done the latter.
Keep the rules simple (we write our own)
Keep forces small
Give achievable aims and missions
Involve dinosaurs or giant ants or dragons etc
Make the terrain/setting look as it the folks playing for the first time think "I can make that!"

Look at our website and if you want to use one of our ones PM me your email address and I'll send you all the stuff.  Some are more complete than others due lost data in a PC crash.

THEM! http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/THEM/Them_intro.htm

Skull Island http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Skull%20Island/Skull_Island_Intro.htm

Curse of Queen Neferdidit http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Claymore%202007/Curse%20of%20Neferdidit.htm

Pirates and the Pyramid of Peril http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Claymore%202009/Pyramid_Intro.htm

Lost balloonatics and dinosaurs http://www.morvalearth.co.uk/Claymore05/balloonatic_intro.htm

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 07:49:19 PM »
Our club is a Historical Wargaming Club so I'd really like to try and keep it within a historical period but capture the attention of comic con goers.
 I have been working on a version of Bolt Action Modern rules that includes giant mechs (gundam models) so that it is mostly historical though alt timeline a tad. Do you think that would be interesting to players? I could probably simply the rules significantly.
Another option is I could do a Pailo Diet Eat or be Eaten game. Rules are very simple already, players work together, games are relatively short.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:52:53 PM by racm32 »

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 07:53:16 PM »
Participation every time - no better way to attract people to something new than letting them try it.

I’d also suggest writing your own set, or massively culling down a commercial set
...or using Akula's zombie rules (AR:SE) ;) which I found quite good for a fun participation game with multiple players. Comiccon, zombies, here you go!

Edit: for historical flavour add nazi zombies.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:56:42 PM by WitchfinderGeneral »
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2019, 08:06:14 PM »

I’d also suggest writing your own set, or massively culling down a commercial set -  if you can’t explain the rule dynamic in the opening minute or so, then drop it, and punters should be able to pick up everything they need to know about the game in the first 5 minutes.

So much this!

As for theme, if you are aiming at the comic crowd - the obvious thing to do would be to look at something like Captain America wouldn't it?

Rag tag bunch of allies led by Steve Rogers Vs hydra forces.
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 08:30:37 PM »
Unfortunately our clubs collection current contains neither WW2 or zombies of any kind.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 08:37:26 PM »
If I did a participation game should I set several start times through out the day for people to show up at? Or let people just jump in as the game is going?

Run the first game, and people will jump on - I’d suggest not setting a firm time (some people like to “book in” and then let you down)... start a game when you’ve got a minimum number of players...if the rules are that quick to explain it doesn’t matter as you can add people in as you go.

...or using Akula's zombie rules (AR:SE) ;) which I found quite good for a fun participation game with multiple players. Comiccon, zombies, here you go!

Edit: for historical flavour add nazi zombies.

Thank you for your kind words. Funnily enough my zombie rules were written for Salute, we got 4 games in during the day I think, and people came and went as they pleased...easy to pick up - quick and bloody.

Funnily enough I used them again at BLAM and ran some games, and by the end of the day some of the guys ran their own game...the rules are that simple.

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 08:48:52 PM »
Where can I get a copy of your zombie rules and how many zombies are needed?