Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:13:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689614
  • Total Topics: 118287
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Precinct Omega reviews... Biostrip 20 for paint-stripping minis  (Read 921 times)

Offline precinctomega

• Librarian
  • Roll dice. Change the world.
    • Precinct Omega Publishing at Wargame Vault
I finally got some Biostrip 20 and, as I needed a video to also try out my new video editing software, I thought I'd do a review.

I try to really put the product through its paces, using metal, plastic, resin and pre-painted plastic minis to see what works and what doesn't.

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
Re: Precinct Omega reviews... Biostrip 20 for paint-stripping minis
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 10:42:20 AM »
resin

Noooooooooooooooo, you mad man! Haven't watched the video (at work) but I'm going to wager that did not end well... certainly didn't for me, luckily it was just a resin base.

Offline precinctomega

• Librarian
  • Roll dice. Change the world.
    • Precinct Omega Publishing at Wargame Vault
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 09:20:17 PM »
No, it went fine.  Biostrip 20 seems absolutely fine for the resin mini, although it takes a more gentle hand and more patience than plastic or metal.

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 11:01:01 PM »
No, it went fine.  Biostrip 20 seems absolutely fine for the resin mini, although it takes a more gentle hand and more patience than plastic or metal.

Just watched the vid, interesting, when i used it on resin it ate it away and left the surface pitted and warped. It confused me since Biostrip is completely non-toxic etc. I leave it on for an hour though not 15 minutes and all the paint basically just sloughs off.

As for the pre-paints the magic bullet is acetone (mostly), the proper 99% stuff. It works on Heroclix certainly and Rackham stuff though with the latter you need to be careful as some of Rackham's bits (the weapons mostly) were hard plastic which will melt in acetone.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 11:01:52 AM »
I have used Biostrip for a while and have not had a problem with plastics or resin miniatures.

I brush the paste onto the figure then pop it into a ziplock or sealable figure bag to stop it drying out (as things tend to do rapidly here). Left for about an hour before rubbing with a soft brush, but one with much shorter bristle length than you used in the video, then all cleaned up in a bowl of water.
If the Biostrip dries on the figure it ceases to work and needs a new application.