Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:07:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689655
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Salute 2019  (Read 11895 times)

Offline alastair

• Assistant
Re: Salute 2019
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2019, 07:40:26 PM »
I think Salute is always going to draw flak from all quarters because of it's perceived pre-eminance among UK shows.  Too much/not enough fantasy... too many 'big games beyond the reach of 'ordinary' gamers/too many club type games, Excel is great/Excel is terrible etc.

I thought yesterday's Salute was a very good show.  There were a lot of traders selling fantasy/SF stuff but it hardly seems fair to criticise them for following the market and I suspect that emphasis may also explain why there seems to be a lot more younger people and women at Salute than at other shows.  The small 2' x 2' games that were quite common do lack the wow factor of a big game but they all seemed to be busy with people playing and presumably having fun.  I did think it seemed a little bit lacking in the big spectacular games although there were some notable examples of this.

There are photos and more thoughts on my blog... https://wargaminggallimaufry.blogspot.com/2019/04/salute-19.html
oooh look.... here's a blog....http://wargaminggallimaufry.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2019, 09:33:26 PM »
Thanks for providing photos @alastair!

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2019, 11:15:05 PM »
@Nick - one day I hope mate!
@alastair - thanks for the pics - most excellent!!!
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline soldado

• Scientist
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2019, 03:25:22 PM »
Ouch, as someone who put in a lot of effort in to provide 2 3'x3' tables for participation games, neither of which were remotely historical or won an award I guess I'll very much place myself amongst the mediocre masses. But I wont be insulted as the moderators say that the remark was aimed at the show as a whole and not at those of us that provided the games.

I hope, despite the lack of 30' long recreations of some obscure battle from the nether reaches of history, you all at least enjoyed some part of the show.

Let us remember, Its just toy soldiers. If it doesnt interest you pass on by but if you pass everything by then maybe broaden your horizons a little.

Thanks for the encouragement to continue, but for now I'll head off back to my mediocre obscurity to think how to improve for next year....

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2019, 03:57:33 PM »
Although I have never been to Salute I have been following it for years through the wonder that is teh internetz. Aside from the inclusion of more fantasy/SciFi (which doesn't hurt my feelings at all) the pictures show many great looking games, just as in every previous year.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2019, 08:04:25 AM »
 There wasn't more fantasy/sci-fi games, that's the point. The organisers balanced game applications and announced before the show, presumably to head off this annual accusation, that the numbers were evenly weighted....
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2019, 11:18:51 AM »
Can we just agree that England is a sea of mediocrity and be done with it?

In all honesty - the pictures and videos here and elsewhere online has a lot to inspire - well done to all that put something on.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Abwehrschlacht

• Mad Scientist
    • Storm of Steel Blog
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2019, 05:48:33 PM »
Although I have never been to Salute I have been following it for years through the wonder that is teh internetz. Aside from the inclusion of more fantasy/SciFi (which doesn't hurt my feelings at all) the pictures show many great looking games, just as in every previous year.

See my post above about the amount of historical/scifi/fantasy game split. It's about fifty fifty.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2019, 08:16:54 PM »
Guilty as charged sir! (It was a great laugh to do the speed comp in armour lockdown). Eavier Metal were great sports too. All good fun.

Cheers for taking the pic.

The Commander.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline alastair

• Assistant
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2019, 12:00:33 AM »
Glad you found the photo!

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2019, 06:31:44 PM »
For me Salute checked all the boxes I expected it would.  I got 99% of the purchases I planned, 100% of purchases I hadn't planned, picked some bits up for folks this side of the pond, saw some nice looking games, chatted with vendors, played on the Limehouse board with good rules, lovely toys and terrain and met up with old and new friends, something I only get to do at Salute.

I was well worth the flight from Canada and I intend to do the same next year.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 06:43:37 PM by Sterling Moose »
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2019, 07:47:36 PM »
100% of purchases I hadn’t planned

:D
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)