Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:44:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686662
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: star Wars Legion models - bad or did I get a poor run?  (Read 1821 times)

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
star Wars Legion models - bad or did I get a poor run?
« on: April 15, 2019, 11:31:18 AM »
I've just been putting together the rebel models from the core set, and a couple of things really stood out (apart from the stupidly high bases). The detail is really really soft, we're talking on a par or only slightly better than the Wargames Factory stuff when tony the bobble headed jesus con-man was running them - I've seen sharper details on 1:72nd plastics. There are also mold lines visible on some of the models. Oh, and to top it all off, their system of pegs on the arms and holes on the body don't line up correctly. I know the game has been out a while now, and I've seen some lovel paintjobs on them, so I have just got unlucky or are they all this bad? I'm a star wars nut, but the quality of these has me thinking whether or not I continue adding to the core set. GW's plastics, details and sharpness are fantastic, Mantic's stuff is very good, are they using an inferior plastic here, bad mould design, an average (at best) sculptor or a combination of all three? A day off work, and by the time I've put together the rebels I feel like giving up on the rest of the box  >:( :(

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
Re: star Wars Legion models - bad or did I get a poor run?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 12:02:18 PM »
I've heard the quality has improved since the first releases, I don't have much new stuff myself so can't confirm but that's what I've heard, also they are switching to hard plastic on sprue for (at least some of) the new releases, and possibly may rerelease older stuff in hard plastic in the future.

As for the ill-fitting pegs, what has worked for me is to chug the minis in a mug of hot water after assembly but before glueing, the heat will soften the plastic, and once you take them out and let them cool the fit is usually much better.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 12:26:40 PM »
ta - only bought the game the other month, but from amazon so it could be older stock :-( Will try the hot water technique when (if) I do the Imps

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 12:28:14 PM »
I have about 70 of the Star Wars Legion figures and I have been favourably impressed with the sculpting.
I don't recall having to clean up mould lines on any of them.

You do need to dry fit the parts because some of them are a bit of a puzzle to work out the correct angle.
I think I only had one figure where the arm didn't fit neatly and had to be filled.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 08:29:58 AM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 06:28:00 PM »
It's tough to answer your question without pictures, but, it sounds like your figures match mine (circa July 2018, so not sure if it was the first or subsequent print runs).  I'd read enough reviews before hand to set my expectations pretty low quality wise.  The figures are soft PVC, not hard plastic, so I knew going in the details were soft, some of the figures would be warped and there would be mold lines to clean up.  I consider them board game quality and they're about average at that.  It takes some extra work to get them looking good but it's doable.

Might be cold consolation, but rumor is that FFG is going hard plastic for the clone wars expansions.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 07:41:04 PM »
Might be cold consolation, but rumor is that FFG is going hard plastic for the clone wars expansions.

As far as I heard this will only be for the (or some) droid sprues.

It’s such reviews which stopped me from buying in, even though I’m also a Star Wars fanboy, and let me cling to my WEG.

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 07:58:10 PM »
As far as I heard this will only be for the (or some) droid sprues.

Bummer.  I'll keep my fingers crossed though. If both sides go hard plastic that's about the only thing that would get me in to the clone wars.  Legion's an OK game, but the expense of keeping up with all the little expansions makes it feel too much like x-wing with mediocre figures.

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 10:23:45 AM »
I've seen a quote on the FFG forums that they will also retroactively release hard plastic sprues for existing factions, though no idea where the quote came from and who said it, supposedly it was Alex davy at adepticon, but I haven't watched the presentation myself.
Unless I missed it so far we've only seen pics of the Droidekas on a sprue, and it's fair to assume the b1's will be, but honestly I'd be surprised if the clonetroopers aren't also hard plastic. Newer releases have also shown more options, there's will be a few options to assemble Bossk, Sabine and Grievus at least so I definetly think they're moving in the right direction.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 01:08:29 PM »
built the stormtroopers today - went together better than the rebs. Luke and Vader where a right royal pain in the arse given where/how the joins are. As for the speeder bike, wtf were they thinking with the front vanes, and the foot pedals.  ;D :-[ 

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2019, 07:50:44 AM »
the vehicles are actually hard plastic and can be built using plastic cement which makes things a bit easier, although the riders are still PVC