Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:08:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686443
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vietnam - reference pics of buildings, villages?  (Read 3791 times)

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
Vietnam - reference pics of buildings, villages?
« on: April 15, 2019, 01:52:20 PM »
So I have bought into the hype and have (so far) just over a squad of Empress' wonderful USMC. Now that I'm about to start painting them (once Spectre's Insurance Kill Team are off the bench) thoughts inevitably turn to terrain.

I started on a jungle table a few years ago and was already planning on making enough extra to cover at least a 4x4 board, so this is a good excuse to crack on. Where I'm struggling is finding good numbers of reference photos of villages - the same 3 or 4 seem to present themselves over and over again.

Are there any good resources online?  Are the Sarissa Far East range suitable, or are they more Malaysia/Burma? How about the new Japanese mountain village set with a few mods?

Thanks!

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Vietnam - reference pics of buildings, villages?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 01:54:32 PM »
Some of the offerings here would be suitable. M

https://oshiromodels.wixsite.com/oshiromodelswebshop/chinese
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 04:16:46 PM »
I have been thinking about this range to represent parts of Hue...

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 04:24:14 PM »
Best reference I have seen for pictures is Eric Hammel Marines in Hue City. There are good pictures in Grandolini's Concords and Helion on Vietnam too.
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 06:26:26 PM »
Some good recommendations there chaps, thanks!

I'm guessing if the Oshiro buildings work for Hue, the Sarissa stuff will work elsewhere? 
I did see some laser cut shop houses that looked like they might work somewhere on Facebook but I can't find them now!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 07:50:12 PM »
For Hue, I am planning using buildings from Sarissa.
They make bombed out buildings also.
I think they will look great.
Will put some sloped roofs on some of them.
I have a few Knights of Dice eastern buildings.
They will go into the mix also.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 08:20:14 PM by Marine0846 »
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2019, 10:59:46 PM »
Vietnam is quite diverse in terms of architecture. It rather depends on which bits you are trying to capture.

Village buildings could be a mix and it was largely dictated by the relative prosperity of the community as well as some regional and ethnic variations. Some of those Oshiro models could be made to work for more established and prosperous villages, where mortar and tile were affordable commodities.

I suspect the stereotypical image of the Vietnamese is the simple woven grass or bamboo hut. Oddly enough, this where existing ranges at least in 28mm fall down. Sarissa, KoD, Barrage etc all do raised buildings, which while they certainly existed, especially with some of the country’s ethnic minorities, aren’t really iconic, just MDF updates of the old Airfix Jungle House. Fine for Montagnards and some coastal or estuarine villages.

You can of course leave the stilts off and use them as a basis but personally given how much dressing they will require anyway, I reckon it’s as easy to build your own with table mats, sticks/ skewers and towelling roofs.

Images are easy to find on google. Type in ‘Vietnam War Village’ and you’ll get no end of images.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 07:57:43 AM »
As you might have seen, I am starting with some Sarissa buildings.

My initial inspiration is the two page (78-79) spread in Osprey's Campaign 4 book on the Tet Offensive.

I think Wyrmalia mentioned Sarissa with someone else did a CIA compound which might work for the US Embassy (there is a two page spread on that as well).

Carlos suggested some of the Sarissa French buildings (C103 and C104) as suitable for big towns.

Some pierced work concrete block walls would be useful.

[edit] Wyrmalia's blog post here https://thesticks.net/2018/11/03/special-artizan-service-miniatures-october-news-releases/
Though the SASM link is down.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 08:05:54 AM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 08:31:23 PM »
As you might have seen, I am starting with some Sarissa buildings.

My initial inspiration is the two page (78-79) spread in Osprey's Campaign 4 book on the Tet Offensive.

I think Wyrmalia mentioned Sarissa with someone else did a CIA compound which might work for the US Embassy (there is a two page spread on that as well).

Those chaps are searching for William Killian aren’t they? Shifty bugger mooched off on the middle of a photo shoot.
Carlos suggested some of the Sarissa French buildings (C103 and C104) as suitable for big towns.

Some pierced work concrete block walls would be useful.

[edit] Wyrmalia's blog post here https://thesticks.net/2018/11/03/special-artizan-service-miniatures-october-news-releases/
Though the SASM link is down.

Offline funky

• Student
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 06:49:49 AM »
grandmanner have resins buildings for nam in 28mm plus camp fortifications. Another one in resin is the spanish barrage miniatures that have nice vietnamese boats too

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 06:31:14 PM »
Thanks all, some good suggestions and resources there. I think I might pick up a couple of the Sarissa Japanese mountain village buildings to use as a base for improvement.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 07:54:07 AM »
There is a taking the Citadel diorama in one of the current military modelling magazines, I have forgotten which one.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 10:26:17 AM »
Photographs of Huế which show much in the way of architectural detail at the time, particularly the old city within the Citadel, are relatively few and far between. There are a few and if you search veterans groups sites etc, you can turn up some interesting shots. Pictures of the restored bits of the Imperial Palace(s)/ Forbidden City are easy to find. There’s a website called the Saigoneer https://saigoneer.com/ that has some rather nice before and after shots of Huế in years gone by.

To get a bit more detail I turned my mind to where in Vietnam had old style buildings, a mix of local and colonial that would approximate what the city within the Citadel might have looked like.  Hội An is probably your best bet.  The old quarter is a UNESCO heritage listed site, fairly well preserved. Hoi An is also geographically in the same Central Coastal region and any search for the words ‘Hội An Old Quarter’ turns up dozens of useful photos.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 10:50:47 AM »

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 01:27:18 PM »
Great photos of Hue.

Thanks carlos