Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:50:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Some dwarf advice please  (Read 1253 times)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
Some dwarf advice please
« on: June 26, 2021, 07:50:25 PM »
I think this goes here but it may also fit in the Age of myths etc.

I have substantial forces of Ancients (historical) figures which I also use in various fantasy settings.  For a campaign idea I am thinking of raising a cohort of 20 to 24 Dwarf auxiliaries in my fantasy Roman force.  I have seen Dwarf legionaries by Black Tree (now OOP?) and West Wind Imperial Dwarves.  Both of these have the rectangular scutum of the Legionaries.

What I am looking for are plastic figures as they are easier to kit bash to get the look of a mail clad Auxiliary (see below).     

So I am looking for recommendations for or offers of a box or two of suitably armoured plastic dwarf bodies ideally with separate heads.  I am not worried about them wearing barbarian trousers as they are not Citizens!  I have quite a few Warlord plastic Roman helmeted human heads (and greenstuff for beards) and a fair number of the oval Auxiliary shields.

Ideas and recommendations please.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Re: Some dwarf advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 08:19:48 PM »
Sorry, not completely to your brief as these are not plastic,  CP Miniatures have Celtic Dwarves - these could look the part with a shield change.
Otherwise you are left with the Oathmark plastic Dwarves.
Are the Westwind Dwarves made with the shields attached?  I thought a shield swap would be enough.

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 08:24:55 PM »
Yup Oathmark have them in chain mail

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2021, 09:02:34 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations, the Oathmark ones look near to what I am thinking of and the CP Models closer in armour style though only 3 poses of spears and swords.  Worth thinking about for, say, a Celtic guard unit with a shield swap. 

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 01:05:01 AM »
It is labour intensive, but another option would be to convert plastic Roman auxiliaries by cutting the legs off just below the tunic, cutting several millimeters from the top of each leg (might also want to cut a bit out between the ankles and sandals so that the shins are the right proportions), then re-gluing it back in the original position. To really make it work, the arms should also be shortened by a similar amount. I haven’t done that with Roman figs, but I did convert Gripping Beast dark age warriors into dwarf civilians that way. The Victrix auxiliaries look like the legs could be shortened relatively easily. I’m not so sure about the arms (it is easier with long sleeves).

Like I said, labour intensive, but the gear would look right.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 01:34:21 PM »
Cutting down Auxiliaries was to be my second last option. The last one is to write the dwarf Auxiliaries out of the scenario.
I think I will have a go with the Oathmark figures.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2021, 02:31:55 PM »
Entirely understandable wanting to avoid that much converting! The Oathmark dwarf figures you’are considering should provide a good base for conversions/ kitbashes anyway. With Roman- style heads and shields they will look the part!

Depending on the scenario or army concept, you could use the dwarves as-is as troops from allied/ client state units. I’ve forgotten the term, but Roman armies sometimes included detachments armed in ‘native fashion’ led by their own chiefs.

Whichever way you decide to go, the project seems like a cool idea!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 02:34:49 PM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2021, 05:28:53 PM »
I think I will have a go with the Oathmark figures.
That would have been my suggestion:

Some plastic Auxiliaries heads would be useful.

Not sure if 20mm scale shields might be better suited to their stature.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 06:30:45 PM »
That would have been my suggestion:
Some plastic Auxiliaries heads would be useful.

Not sure if 20mm scale shields might be better suited to their stature.
I have Warlord Roman Auxiliary heads but probably not enough.  so some may have to get Legionary heads.

Good idea about 1/72 or 20mm shields.  I think I have a box of HaT Auxiliaries in the stash from a long abandoned project.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2021, 06:36:27 PM »
Depending on the scenario or army concept, you could use the dwarves as-is as troops from allied/ client state units. I’ve forgotten the term, but Roman armies sometimes included detachments armed in ‘native fashion’ led by their own chiefs.

Whichever way you decide to go, the project seems like a cool idea!

That is a possibility though I would like to make them different from my "ordinary" Dwarves.

The term you are looking for troops in their own clothes and equipment is likely one of these socii ("allies"), symmachiarii (from symmachoi, Greek for "allies") or foederati ("treaty troops" from foedus, "treaty").

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2021, 06:58:07 PM »
Symmachiarii is the term I was thinking of. I expect using Roman heads and shields on the Oathmark bodies, and a suitable paint job, will look quite effective. Some helmeted heads from the Victix Gauls might also fit in with the auxiliaries and add a little variety.