Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:23:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690716
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Adding card roof tiles  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
Adding card roof tiles
« on: July 15, 2020, 03:55:21 PM »
I am currently starting to build an MDF church and wanted to try adding card tiles to the roof. I made a gizmo for the tile strips and got to work using cereal boxes and new blade.

I also randomly cut a few tile corners to make sure they looked old.

I am left with the ridge at the top which I am not quite sure how to finish, just a bit folded over the top I think is the easiest.

Any ideas?
So much to do, so little time...

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
Re: Adding card roof tiles
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 02:46:40 AM »
Do what you did with a couple more strips.  Then run another cut along the join side of the tiles.  That will give you the same size roofing tiles to use to cover the seam at the top.  Start on one side and overlap the tiles heading across toward the opposite edge of the building, just like they do in real life.

Here's a link to a Home Depot product.  Don't buy the tiles, but look at the pictures to see what your roof should look like when done:
Click here for pics

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 08:52:18 AM »
This is a tried and true method for doing roof tiles / shingles. I recall buying a whole roll of HO-scale shingles back in the 70s, before I realized how dead simple they are to make.

One advantage to cutting them by hand is that the tiles / shingles will be less regular. Though you can easily change the regularity produced by your die by making a few cuts here and there. IMHO, a little irregularity makes the whole thing feel more real.

As far as the ridgeline is concerned, I decided to simulate planking along the ridgeline on this model. IRL you often see specially formed tiles on more recent roofs, or simply normal tiles laid lengthwise, because the concave shape of the red clay roof tiles so common here in some parts of France makes them ideal for covering the ridge. It all depends on what type of tiles / shingles you're trying to emulate.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2020, 05:25:28 PM »
Interesting template you have made for cutting your tile strips, how are you cutting the slots?

Herb Gundt of HGWalls used a similar set up when cutting “wood shingles” for North American buildings from tree wrap material - looks like crepe paper.
He clamped 6 strips of the tree wrap to the template and used a bandsaw to cut the slots.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 12:07:41 AM »
Interesting template you have made for cutting your tile strips, how are you cutting the slots?
The cutting gizmo had wide enough slots to cut two lines about 1mm wide, it means doing two cuts for each tile, but the effect is pretty good.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 12:39:59 AM »
An interesting take on producing roof tiles .As you asked for thoughts on ridge tiles I've added a couple of pictures of my prefered solution(as its a lot quicker than a written explanation)As a rule I tend just to use cereal packet card for both ridge tiles and singles/ slates.
There is a quick tutorial on using this card to make Roman roof tiles floating around here that shows how I tackle ridge tiles if that's any help.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 01:12:01 AM »
I am left with the ridge at the top which I am not quite sure how to finish, just a bit folded over the top I think is the easiest...
Any ideas?
I'm not sure if the following would be appropriate with regards to a slate or tile roof as it is of a cedar shingle roof but this picture shows a reconstructed building from Fort King George in Florida courtesy of Anton's Wargame Blog (link).

The shingles on the windward side extend beyond the ridge line a good few inches.

Also check out this slate roof ridge: link.

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 08:50:10 PM »
Got it finished...

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 04:14:15 AM »
That looks aces.  A touch of paint will do it up right.

Offline Coronasan

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 03:33:33 PM »
The next roof I am trying out is a spire shape.

This was a bit more difficult and I found it best to let each side really dry well before trimming and then doing another side.

I am pleased with the result considering it was a first attempt.

Offline PhilB

• Scientist
    • A Dragontooth Grognard
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 06:57:54 PM »
I like what you've done to make the tiles irregular, despite their built-in regularity. My roofs are a mess, in comparison, and I doubtless spent far more time cutting tiles by hand.

Keep up the good work!