Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:18:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Our odd little hobby - and it's finest  (Read 1335 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Our odd little hobby - and it's finest
« on: April 16, 2019, 02:15:11 AM »
Okay, so I was just looking at a post about someone painting up a Sudan collection and their comment about a game someday, maybe.  We all - those of us who paint them - know that story all too well.  What is it that drives us on decade after decade (we antiquated gamers, anyway  ;)) painting and collecting and painting and collecting and more painting and collecting only to one day hope to get in a game?  I have no idea but I keep doing it and enjoy the process even when I sometimes think it is all a bit daft, especially when so often we collect and paint what we want to play only to entertain others by riding herd on other's enjoying playing with our collections.

Set all that aside and allow me to take a moment to say that there are some truly fine folks in this 'odd little hobby'.  A couple of times now I've had very kind and generous souls provide me with some figure or figures for a collection for no other reason than an act of kindness.  And, clearly, others here on LAF have been both the benefactor and the benefactee of such actions.  Sure, there are also more than our share of 'odd ducks' paddling about in our shallow waters.  But it only takes one act of generosity to counteract a bunch of acts of, well, let's be kind, immaturity. 

More of this anon. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:07:05 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
Re: Our odd little hobby - and it's finest
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 06:33:00 AM »
Well said
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 07:10:11 AM »

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 06:31:37 PM »
Well, due to my kids I just don’t get the time free to play as much as I used to, so I’m working through painting that mass backlog of models that built up when I was more active ;)

A game a quarter is what I aim for now, big multiplayers, all painted and all looking good - so the hobby work drives the gaming which drives the project production.