Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:14:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690760
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Movies on the Crusades  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Movies on the Crusades
« on: April 16, 2019, 04:56:39 PM »
I am currently teaching a course on the Crusades. I have shown the movie Kingdom of Heaven and had a good discussion on the film.
I am also aware of the TV series Nightfall that is on. Are there other movies on the Crusades I could use? Looking for recommendations.

Thanks!

Offline Bogdanwaz

• Scientist
    • O My Ruritania
Re: Movies on the Crusades
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 06:55:23 PM »
There's the Swedish movie Arn The Knight Templar, very good.

The 1954 movie King Richard and the Crusaders, based on Sir Walter Scott's novel The Talisman with Rex Harrison as Saladin.

The 1935 movie The Crusades about Richard the Lionheart, a very Hollywood version of history.

Offline Bogdanwaz

• Scientist
    • O My Ruritania
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 07:08:43 PM »
If you are looking at the Baltic Crusades, there is of course Alexander Nevsky and Krzyzacy or The Black Cross, a 1960 Polish epic about the Battle of Grunwald.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 07:09:48 PM »
Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Kitsune

• Mad Scientist
    • Mosquito on the Tenth Floor
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 07:32:59 PM »
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 08:12:29 PM »

Saladin the Victorious (1963) directed by Youssef Chahine

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 08:16:19 PM »

El Cid (1961)  :?
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 09:42:45 PM »
"King Richard and the Crusaders" (1954) has Rex Harrison in regrettable brownface as Saladin.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 10:23:58 PM »
The Crusades in the Holy Land aren't a subject cinema tackled all that often. Most of the relevant films are listed in the wikipedia page below :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Crusades_films

There's also a very old French TV series from the 1960's entitled Thibaud The Crusader (Thibaud ou les croisades in the original French). It looks pretty cheap and awfully dated now but I suppose it retains an old-fashioned charm of its own in a way. All episodes can be found on YouTube although they're all on the original French without English subtitles :

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLv-DA0JolucRFGB-rOJllLb-MbGdlaX1d

When I was a kid, I loved the rousing opening credits theme by Georges Delerue though.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 12:36:59 AM »
Kingdom of Heaven would be worth a whole class about its inaccuracies.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2019, 10:28:24 PM »
Every contemporary film dealing with the Crusades is bound to be inaccurate in many regards for a simple economic reason : these expensive productions aimed at mainstream audiences (who in most cases know precious little about the medieval world) must recoup their budget and therefore be in tune with modern concerns and sensibilities if they are to appeal to the public out there. Make Balian of Ibelin or Guy de Lusignan behave as they did historically and most spectators will probably complain that they can't make sense of these characters or their worldview as they appear totally alien to us. Throw in the added challenge of making the impossibly complex political environment of 12th century Middle East understandable to laymen and you'll inevitably end with medieval screen characters who think and react like early 21st century people - or at least the 21st century notion of what a medieval person was like.

Kingdom of Heaven is certainly filled with inaccuracies and egregious anachronisms but it is far from being the worst offender on the historical film market in that respect, and it does get a number of things right too - a sense of time and place in particular. I personally consider it a fine piece of filmmaking and enjoy it very much despite not being blind to the many ways in which it obviously strays from history.   

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 11:36:59 PM »
There was a 1980 BBC series dramatising The Talisman which I recall enjoying at the time but it might be a bit dated now.

https://www.amazon.com/The-Talisman/dp/B07C13SRY1

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 01:04:47 AM »
You could look at Terry Jones' Crusades documentary series.  Mixes in humour and is biased towards a 'look how bad they were' point of view (several of the historians that contributed to the series complained that their views were misrepresented).

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 02:42:08 PM »
Every contemporary film dealing with the Crusades is bound to be inaccurate in many regards for a simple economic reason : these expensive productions aimed at mainstream audiences (who in most cases know precious little about the medieval world) must recoup their budget and therefore be in tune with modern concerns and sensibilities if they are to appeal to the public out there. Make Balian of Ibelin or Guy de Lusignan behave as they did historically and most spectators will probably complain that they can't make sense of these characters or their worldview as they appear totally alien to us. Throw in the added challenge of making the impossibly complex political environment of 12th century Middle East understandable to laymen and you'll inevitably end with medieval screen characters who think and react like early 21st century people - or at least the 21st century notion of what a medieval person was like.

Kingdom of Heaven is certainly filled with inaccuracies and egregious anachronisms but it is far from being the worst offender on the historical film market in that respect, and it does get a number of things right too - a sense of time and place in particular. I personally consider it a fine piece of filmmaking and enjoy it very much despite not being blind to the many ways in which it obviously strays from history.   

I didn't know there were any contemporary films dealing with the crusades. Hell, they'd barely got beyond mosaics!

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2019, 01:57:24 PM »
What is the level of your students (High School, Primary) and what is your objective, i.e. understand the crusades or how they are remembered?