Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:19:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690822
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Can you spare some sculpting feedback?  (Read 1054 times)

Offline 1000foot

• Bookworm
    • 1000 Foot General
Can you spare some sculpting feedback?
« on: April 16, 2019, 05:55:04 PM »

With 3D sculpting becoming commonplace in the production of wargaming miniatures I thought it was time to take a chance at sculpting some figures myself. I've never sculpted anything before, but I'm not one to let gross ignorance stop me from pursuing my hobby goals.

I've been tweaking my first full body human model, and before I start creating variants running, gunning and getting up to no good, I was hoping you could provide any feedback to help me refine this base model. Any suggestions you have to improve it will be welcome, whether you are a sculptor, caster, 3D modeler, printer or miniature painter.

1) This is a static pose, with some unfinished wrinkles and detailing in the clothing. Final sculpts will be more dynamically posed, with less obvious mirroring of body parts.
2) I intend to send the models to be SLA printed to create masters for eventual spin casting. Do you see any red flags I need to keep in mind when reposing? I'm a bit concerned about the undercut that will be necessary for the back of the helmet.
3) I like big chunky minis ala Games Workshop circa 1988. The head and hands are intentionally scaled up for this mini, but not sure if I need to enlarge them even more to give it a proper old school, comic book inspired panache.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide!

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Can you spare some sculpting feedback?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 08:42:29 AM »
Looks good!

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 09:45:14 AM »
That is some amazing work for a first sculpt!

Detail wise, make sure the quilting on the shirt is pronounced enough. Rendering software will show tiny changes in curvature very well, real-life models with a lick of paint aren't so forgiving.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 01:28:45 PM »
It does look really good. No critisisms, just a few comments.

The figure is 7 heads high, which may look odd next to a wargame figure. It's worth measuring them, as a lot of them are 6 heads high, sometimes closer to 5 heads. Likewise, the hands may need more bulking up.

How are you planning to pose the figure? Are you going to rig it, or just pull the mesh into shape? Rigging is more work, but you get a lot of help from the software (I'm assuming zbrush from the image).

One thing you may want to do is sculpt in a T-pose or A-pose, as that makes rigging and other work much easier (you only have to rig half and then mirror it)

Offline 1000foot

• Bookworm
    • 1000 Foot General
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 02:44:35 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Quilting: I'm concerned about the quilting too, so will try to deepen the lines.
7 heads high. Can I just increase the size of the head and hands?
Posing: Currently the different parts (upper arm, lower arm, hand, etc.) are separate tools in zbrush, so I can repose them individually and then resculpt details, wrinkles, etc. before merging it all into a single object.  I originally created a T-pose, but wanted to pose it in a slightly more natural position to gather feedback.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2019, 03:25:42 PM »
The mid point of the body is the public bone (oh, er missus :)), so if you just increase the head size the top half of the body will be too long.

I *think* you will need to shrink the torso to compensate for the increased head, to keep the two halves the same. However, it's worth measuring some figures to see where the midpoint is, and what the upper to lower body ratio is, as I suspect different sculptors take slightly different approaches.

Ultimately, as long as it looks "right" you should be fine.