Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:03:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lament Ridge, first game of Rebels and Patriots  (Read 1528 times)

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Lament Ridge, first game of Rebels and Patriots
« on: April 12, 2019, 01:39:22 PM »
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Lament Ridge, first game of Rebels and Patriots
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 10:49:33 PM »
Good report, thanks.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 02:34:01 AM »
Lament Ridge - I like that name.

The gap issue - I've implemented the following as a rule in my games (different rules, same 'gamey' problem of trying to fire through impractical gaps)(15 mm figures!): a direct line of sight line - cannot fire through a gap smaller than 1 1/2" per each side of the line for a 3" minimum gap.  Depending on the situation, the gap may need to be wider but there must be a 1 1/2" gap to either side of the direct line (can be center of unit to center of unit, closest point of one unit to closest point of opposing unit - matter of personal choice or rules).

Always like seeing AWI games.  Frying Pan and Blanket -  I almost travelled that road for my AWI but stayed with my 15 mm.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 12:46:10 PM »
Lament Ridge - I like that name.

The gap issue - I've implemented the following as a rule in my games (different rules, same 'gamey' problem of trying to fire through impractical gaps)(15 mm figures!): a direct line of sight line - cannot fire through a gap smaller than 1 1/2" per each side of the line for a 3" minimum gap.  Depending on the situation, the gap may need to be wider but there must be a 1 1/2" gap to either side of the direct line (can be center of unit to center of unit, closest point of one unit to closest point of opposing unit - matter of personal choice or rules).

Always like seeing AWI games.  Frying Pan and Blanket -  I almost travelled that road for my AWI but stayed with my 15 mm.

I like that solution to the gap problem and will run it by the guys. Thanks.

The only issues with Frying Pan & Blanket is as far as I can tell they never produced the Hessian Jagers, who should be present in most skirmishes. Since they have no online presence, it's hard to tell. Perhaps yet another snail mail inquiry is in order, sigh. I am way too lazy to start again in 15mm.

Hmm, I have a notion to run a game based on the storming of the redoubts at Yorktown. One player runs Hamilton's yanks and the other runs the French (Hessians will have to stand in). Each player also runs the British garrison facing the other player and sees who takes their redoubt first. There was an early scenario in the board game Hold The Line based on this.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 01:14:43 PM »
Out of nostalgia, I googled Frying Pan and Blanket and found this: http://fryingpan.freewebtools.com

A scroll of the appropriate years for the AWI finds Jaegers and Chasseurs listed as "not yet available" which might indicate they are on the horizon. 

That site appears last updated two years ago, though, so maybe already available?

Maybe worth that snail mail inquiry.  Good luck!

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 03:30:15 PM »
The website is a fan site, not the manufacturers. The Jagers/Chasseurs have been listed as in the works for well over 10 years, since I first discovered FP&B. Alas. But perhaps a letter is in order.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 07:23:36 PM »
Well, I did see it was a fan site but it's also been well above twenty years since I last took note of Frying Pan and Blanket so I had hope for you - and hope still, even if hoping against hope.  As Frodo Tolkien said, Where there is life there is hope - or was it the other way around?   :D 

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 06:50:36 PM »
A lot of action and fun must be had!
Rebels and Patriots rules look interesting!
Thanks for sharing!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 06:48:50 PM »

I've decided to use your suggestion with a twist: If there is not a 3" gap between friendly units that are closer to the firing unit than the enemy as above, no fire is allowed except a bloody-minded player can still fire, but every other hit will be on the closest friendly unit. Roll a die. Odd, the first casualty and every other odd loss is on friends. Even, the second casualty and every other even loss is on friends. I should think a morale test for "friendly" fire night incur a -1. If the friends are in close range and the enemy not, then the friends will require less hits to lose a figure.