Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:30:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689480
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 403
Total: 409

Recent

Author Topic: Space grave?  (Read 4996 times)

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
Space grave?
« on: April 17, 2019, 07:26:59 PM »
Anyone tried/done or seen frostgrave in space ?
I seen one piece online substituting wizards for pyskers ,
I thought about rival rogue trader warbands as  space privateers racing and fighting to become the owner of ancient tech  to curry favour with the emperor ?

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Space grave?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 04:21:30 AM »
That sounds similar to folks who play the Inquisitor rules in 28mm. I suppose if you're into the Frostgrave rules you can use them for anything. Yes, just substitute bows for guns and otherwise the rest would work for a 40K like setting. Or replace spells with cybernetic upgrades and different weapons and it can be a more generic sci-fi setting.

Its down to you to re-flavour things. I've used rule sets like 7TV for everything, as are we trying out Star Wars: Legion as for modern games. There may be other rpg/skirmish like sci-fi rules out there which bake in specific sci-fi elements though - but if you're into Frostgrave then its a perfectly serviceable game for whatever setting you want (maybe tweak it a bit if you want to use if for 5mm Kaiju games though).

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 12:43:00 PM »
Well I have a rulebook and summoner left over from what I was selling ,
And in the loft found a bnib tallarn squad which will fit nicely and their opponents can be the rogue trader Ork raiders I have still ,though they may get brown skins as space monkey /mutant types. So case of using what I have.

Offline hummus

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 01:29:43 AM »
i always thought frostgrave would be great for inquisitors or rogue trader games the powers could also represent cool technology teleporters, force fields, wacky guns, drones, robots as golems etc

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 08:18:39 AM »
Even the name sounds cool! :D

Offline Thorsmitersaw

• Schoolboy
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 04:36:55 AM »
I think this sounds awesome.
Would prefer a fantasy sci fi sort of approach the most I think. Something savage. Arcane but with technology too. Like He-man only serious. Doc Savage / John Carter sort of thing. Brent Spiveys Rogue Planet book has inspiring art (and really cool rules, wish it got more attention)

Would be cool to work on a port of Frostgrave to an alternate theme. Might suit Ghost Archipeligo more since it doesnt focus on magic. Unless you got some kind of techno justification for that stuff maybe, trans human technomancers manipulating advanced nanite swarms in the atmosphere?...

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 04:37:40 PM »
I'm just gonna say that if Joe decided to publish a Space Grave or, even better, a Rangers of Spacelanes Deep, I'd probably pick that up, too.  Especially the latter.  I'd buy a sci-fi RoSD in a heartbeat.

Offline DonL

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2019, 10:04:19 PM »
"Would prefer a fantasy sci fi sort of approach the most I think. Something savage. Arcane but with technology too. Like He-man only serious. Doc Savage / John Carter sort of thing. "

I also like the John Carter angle. Also a Thundarr The Barbarian meets the hippies from Ark II

Savagery, Science and Sorcery. Lords of Light and all that. Post-post apocalyptic. Scrounging for lost tech and magic. Flux capacitors, hyperdrive motivators and some kinds of crystals. And creature design rules, so I can use all the crap I own (and will continue to buy).

Basically a batsh!t crazy game where anything can happen (and often does). Allot of rambling for a first-time  poster....

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 10:35:27 AM »
Like He-man only serious.

I get what you are saying but had a chuckle when I read it.   I think the rules would readily work for these genera. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline M.O.T.N

• Librarian
    • Edinburgh Miniature Company
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 11:18:37 AM »
I'm fast becoming quite a champion of Joe's games and can see enormous potential for different settings. If you look at Frostgrave vs Ghost Archipelago thats a prime example - ones about wizards in a winter setting, the other about demigods exploring a lost world.

You can use it for literally anything. There would only be some tweaks required to shooting for a sci-fi version. Magic users easily become 40k inquisitors, or Jedi.

It's the campaign that adds the flavour generally, where does the income come from and how are new recruits and equipment procured.

I started sculpting full time (link to store below, sorry  ::) ) so I could make some greek mythology and science fantasy stuff, I'm already starting to plan using my mythology range to play Ghost Archipelago.

Offline mrbatz

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 06:44:23 AM »

Not exactly Frostgrave in space, but by the same author:

http://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.com/2019/03/operation-last-train-charity-wargame_8.html

Yet to get it to the table.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 08:02:52 PM »
John Carter sort of thing.
Might suit Ghost Archipeligo more since it doesnt focus on magic. Unless you got some kind of techno justification for that stuff maybe, trans human technomancers manipulating advanced nanite swarms in the atmosphere?...

I think Ghost Archipeligo of Barsoom or Naboo would be great. Perhaps even Flashgrave?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 12:05:49 PM »

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2019, 04:26:20 PM »
A friend of mine did a Star Wars mod named Rebels of Space Deep. You can find it at the facebook group.

Milo.

Offline John Tailby

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2019, 07:34:35 AM »
We played a game of Space Grave today. The Star Wars force sensitives make for great wizards.

We used a tight terrain layout to make sure it wasn't just a long range shoot out. We played the Worm Hunts scenario and I used the Robots from Core Space as the monsters. The Worm had quite a good day.