Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:36:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690317
  • Total Topics: 118325
  • Online Today: 579
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 6mm Sci-Fi  (Read 6155 times)

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
    • It's a Hobby, not an Addiction!
6mm Sci-Fi
« on: April 18, 2019, 08:50:37 AM »
I’ve always wanted to produce full 6mm armies which could also use the figures for micro skirmishes as well, so I’ve decided to base them individually 😁.

First up a Tech Priest and Heavy Cyborgs:

And secondly a rent-a-mob of baddie cultists:

Much more on the painting table but who knows what will push it’s way to the front of the painting table!

Thanks for looking.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: 6mm Sci-Fi
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 09:23:33 AM »
These are ace, your painting ‘reads’ so well! I like the idea of 6mm skirmish more than the reality - I found it a bit fiddly in practice.

Have you ever tried the Rogue Planet ruleset? It’s one of my favs anyway but it works really well for 6mm individually based because there’s no measuring (so less fiddly) and has really concise rules on cover, which I also found helped.

I like those cultists - they scale with the rest of Vanguard’s stuff nicely?

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 09:50:31 AM »
Nicely done  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 02:00:26 PM »
When I begin to tackle my 6mm I hope i can get close to painting as well as those.

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 05:39:45 PM »
@Jagannath - thanks man, the cyborgs and Tech Priest used a mix of metallic on the guns and NMM on the armour trim, and other non blue and silver bits. I found it a much simpler process to do NMM at this scale, I really can’t cope with it on bigger models.

I have the Rogue Planet rules but haven’t tried them out yet, they do look like lots of fun! My approach with the 40k rules was going to be a bit free and easy, so guesstimations for ranges and so on.

The cultists are the old Cybershadow militia, nowhere near as lovely as the newer sculpts but I bought loads of them in a sale years ago and have finally found a purpose for them. They are a bit weedy, but frankly ideal for their lowly status! I will try to get some comparison pics up in the future.

@OSHIROmodels -cheers!

@thenamelessdead - very kind of you sir. It’s really a case of keeping a steady hand and being as bold with the colour highlighting as you dare!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 06:32:19 PM »
I also like this idea very much and have started something similar years ago (roughly when Angel Barracks had those nice 6mm characters). I found it too difficult to move single stands, but I am also clumsy in this regard.

I have always thought „mass-skirmishes“ like Warhammer 40k or the Mantic version Warpath should work very well with 6mm, because you can get LOADS of those squads which die quickly.

Yours looksimply stunning and I hope you enjoy your battles!

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 06:40:12 PM »
Well they look ace!

Rogue Planet is super weird until you get in on the table, then it works really well.

Ah OK - good to know they're weedy, I tend to only use Vanguard infantry now exactly because they're weedy, I much prefer 6mm infantry like that. They look like they're the same bulk as the Novan regualars, which is perfect.

I wanted to do  project with the Onslaught cultists, but I've had problems with Onslaught being too weak at the ankle - put me off buying any more.

I have always thought „mass-skirmishes“ like Warhammer 40k or the Mantic version Warpath should work very well with 6mm, because you can get LOADS of those squads which die quickly.

It's funny because I'm always looking for rulesets where you can have smaller games but still multi-based, which 6mm is perfect for too - A multi-based force that looks like an epic detachment is the perfect size for me. I'm using Squad Hammer a lot at the moment for exactly that reason. I'm pretty comfortable with abstraction in rules though, might not work for everyone.

Offline Ockman

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 09:45:50 PM »
Wow, that's so cool!

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 10:39:29 PM »
Yup, nice, crisp, and high in contrast. Just what makes 6mm work. :) Very cool.

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2019, 08:46:27 AM »
Awesome brushwork there! I could never get that quality in 6mm (me envy), but back in the day I did some skirmish in that scale using the fantastic campaing rules In The Emperor's Name: https://javieratwar.blogspot.com/search/label/Campaign.%20In%20the%20Emperor%27s%20name

Cheers,

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2019, 08:15:25 PM »
@DivisMal - Cheers! I keep meaning to get some of the CP models 6mm Sci-Fi characters, I think there are about 20 with some pretty cool designs. Moving the figures will be pretty fiddly I suppose, but I might make up some magnetised movement trays for moving units en-mass then have them individually for micro kill team.

@Jagannath - I’ve got quite a few of the Onslaught figures but, as you say, the humans are super dainty whereas the Vanguard are just that little bit sturdier.

@Ockman - Thanks man!

@Battle Brush Sigur - Very kind of you to say so sir!

@blacksmith - the only saving grace of spending the time at this scale is that it’s still quicker to paint than a single 28mm! Loved the battle reports, I only know a little about the In The Emperor’s Name rules, are they quite RPG-ish?

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2019, 08:29:55 PM »
@blacksmith - the only saving grace of spending the time at this scale is that it’s still quicker to paint than a single 28mm! Loved the battle reports, I only know a little about the In The Emperor’s Name rules, are they quite RPG-ish?
No. They are a set of KISS skirmish battles between bands of 10-20 figures per side, but they added a generic campaign with 40K setting which is really good and can be played with any ruleset.
Here you can see an old AAR of mine: http://javieratwar.blogspot.com/2011/07/in-emperors-name.html
Cheers,
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 08:31:30 PM by blacksmith »

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 09:06:04 PM »
Those are very good.

CinC Precision do some very nice mini's too, and looks like Legions IV Hire are taking over the range so they shouldn't be as difficult to get out side of the states as they once were.

Also have a look at Microworld, very nice mini's usually with some variation to a pack.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 01:02:46 AM by 6milPhil »

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2019, 10:47:49 PM »
A unit of close combat Labour Drones armed with grabby claws (for lifting) and plasma electro whips (for, erm, whipping cargo into position?).

The photo has made the colours look a bit brighter than in reality, but I think they look better for it!

Lovely little fellows from Vanguard miniatures.

@Blacksmith - Ah, Thanks. Sounds like a fun system from your reports so I’ll Have to give them a go!

@6milPhil - Thanks! I love the Microworld range and have quite a few of their fantasy figures  which I think could work well for sci fi too. CinC are new to me though, I like the look of their grav tanks, really detailed.

Offline Oldben1

• Mastermind
    • My Terrain Projects
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 03:00:33 AM »
The turqoise and purple look really well together