Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:48:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Prejudice against GW?  (Read 26012 times)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Prejudice against GW?
« on: June 16, 2009, 08:21:28 AM »
Looking at the way the votes get cast, it often seems to me that there's a little prejudice against Gw models, especially when the contest is tight it seems to be the thing that swings the votes. Has anyone else noticed it, or am I just plain wrong?

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Re: Prejudice against GW?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 08:38:48 AM »
I think there is prejudice towards subject matter that people favour. Usually this isn't a GW game or product. I personally prefer post-apoc models over historical models, for example 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 08:59:34 AM »
You are right in my case. With the exception of LotR I do not like the way GW stuff look. The aesthetics of the thing, so to speak. So it is a factor I consider among others.

Offline Elprez

• Mad Scientist
  • LXG
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:11:48 AM »
I think its more the subject matter or genre, rather than the manufacturer thats reflected in the voting generally. If the painting is pretty evenly matched, personally I would tend to let my personal interest bias swing the vote one way or the other, but only if theres no other reason to vote one way or another.
http://extraordinarygentlemensjournal.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/VSFMiniatures
Still, a chap ought to look smart in front of the men, don't you think?

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 09:17:16 AM »
I try to look at the quality of the painting and the quality & context the figures are photographed in. Then suject matter can sway me if everything else is close. I don't think I am prejudice against GW. Although I have found very few of there products to my liking.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 09:18:17 AM »
Not liking something isn't the same as prejudice. If I can't choose between two entries because the painting is equally good, then I'm afraid I'm going to vote for the one which has the subject matter that appeals more. And for me that is rarely going to be something that has come out of Games Workshop.

Personally it has been seeming to me that it's historical that loses out to all that Sci-Fi and Fantasy tosh in the close contests. The LAF seems to be full of people into all that stuff to me these days. I'm seeing the exact opposite to you. But really I think we're getting a bit paranoid here and seeing trends that aren't actually there.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 09:51:30 AM »
Not liking something isn't the same as prejudice. If I can't choose between two entries because the painting is equally good, then I'm afraid I'm going to vote for the one which has the subject matter that appeals more. And for me that is rarely going to be something that has come out of Games Workshop.

Personally it has been seeming to me that it's historical that loses out to all that Sci-Fi and Fantasy tosh in the close contests. The LAF seems to be full of people into all that stuff to me these days. I'm seeing the exact opposite to you. But really I think we're getting a bit paranoid here and seeing trends that aren't actually there.

I agree with you there, it is different, I may not like a figure but that does not necessarily mean I am against all of the ranges the company makes. If its painted well and captures my imagination I'll vote for that.

The post apocalyptic theme is starting to get on my nerves a little now but that is probably my age or just me, I used to be totally in to Fanatasy and SF and post disaster stuff, and now it seems to be more 19th century to early 20th century historical and VSF stuff. So historical with a bit of a twist.

I think to say there is a predjudice is a bit far fetched .

dodge

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 09:51:36 AM »
I don't think it's GW, as old GW fantasy metal seems to get good votes, but 40K and especially Space Marines do get a malus.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 10:21:57 AM »
I sometimes feel prejudiced against GW products , not sure why .
 :?

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 10:35:34 AM »
Personally I believe that GW has some very good painters on its staff and in the golden demon competitions. When ever you see GW stuff for sale in a shop or in a magazine it is always extremely well painted. I think this makes it very hard for us average painters to get a good reaction when we enter a GW team, people have always seen better before.
With some of the other Historical, pulp, VSF etc … entries they are not as well advertised as GW. So the level of the paint jobs stands on its own merit.
When you go to GW website ALL of the figures are beautifully painted. At other companies websites sometimes you are lucky even to see an unpainted figure, never mind a well painted one.
You must admit that even if you don’t like GW figure their advertising is top notch. One of the benefits of being one of the biggest gaming companies in the world.
Personally I don’t think I am prejudice against any particular figures or scale and I am loving the whole LPL. Where else gives you a reason to look forward to Monday morning? I love to see every bodies ideas with all the different types of figures. It also lets me see loads of eye candy that I must have.
PS I am a GW fan and have loads of their stuff but this forum is very quickly turned me to loads of different types of figures and games.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 10:47:08 AM »

Personally it has been seeming to me that it's historical that loses out to all that Sci-Fi and Fantasy tosh in the close contests. The LAF seems to be full of people into all that stuff to me these days. I'm seeing the exact opposite to you.

Hear Hear!

Offline Mad Carew Snr

• Scientist
  • One in the Eye for the little yellow god
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 10:49:53 AM »
I would probably be biased to the "other" if there was a competition between a GW figure and another manufacturer, not because I don't like GWs products (I do), I just don't like the big company image and the "official" status that they have imposed - its almost as if they believe that their customers have no imagination of their own and have to be told what to do...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone
The song is over
Thought I'd something more to say

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 10:50:29 AM »

Personally it has been seeming to me that it's historical that loses out to all that Sci-Fi and Fantasy tosh in the close contests. The LAF seems to be full of people into all that stuff to me these days. I'm seeing the exact opposite to you.

Hear Hear!

Hear Hear Hear Hear
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 11:06:35 AM »

................PS I am a GW fan and have loads of their stuff but this forum is very quickly turned me to loads of different types of figures and games.

That's what happened to me, GW always then oh theres other stuff great, this forum has helped shape my thinking as a gamer.

Actually don't tell anyone but I've  got GW Empire swordsmen and halberdiers to paint, and actually I'm quite enjoying it  ???

dodge

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 11:35:01 AM »

................PS I am a GW fan and have loads of their stuff but this forum is very quickly turned me to loads of different types of figures and games.

That's what happened to me, GW always then oh theres other stuff great, this forum has helped shape my thinking as a gamer.

Actually don't tell anyone but I've  got GW Empire swordsmen and halberdiers to paint, and actually I'm quite enjoying it  ???

dodge

The same as I don't mention that my biggest ongoing project is a scratch built Chaos Baneblade???