Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:44:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690583
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Hollywood does Tintin  (Read 7778 times)

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Hollywood does Tintin
« on: March 08, 2007, 07:36:20 PM »
Just saw the news posting.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070308/ap_en_mo/film_tintin

Bets now on what big-name actors they will get to ruin it?
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
Hollywood does Tintin
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 07:56:46 PM »
Frankie Muniz.

That feeling... it's as if a thousand Belgian childhoods cried out in pain, and then were silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Hollywood does Tintin
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 08:22:05 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
Frankie Muniz.

That feeling... it's as if a thousand Belgian childhoods cried out in pain, and then were silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

For god´s sake, NOOOOOO!  :o  :o  :o  :cry:

Although I somehow had a mental image of Tobey Maguire (of "Spiderbiscuit" fame) once I had read the article...

:lol:

Seriously though, I think he could pull it off. Now, if they can get Chuck Norris to star as Cap´n Haddock... :lol:

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Hollywood does Tintin
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 10:11:14 PM »
I think it'll be great. I have both the early live action Tintin films and I like 'em  :)
A modern one will be excellent so long as they keep a period feel to it.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Hollywood does Tintin
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 10:31:32 PM »
And a British childhood here cried out, too.

I'm so stuck in my Tintin ways that I cannot even stand the 90s Tintin cartoons, even though most of them are very good versions of the books, they don't mess with the story too much and really capture the look of the artwork quite well (Sickly has the lot on DVD).

But the voices are all wrong! It's not  that they all have stupid American accents it's that their voices don't match how they talked in my head!!!

Death to this project, and all who work on it! I'm going to do my Voodoo utmost to make this another "Omen." Haunted film projects where bad things happen to all involved are cool, and if I have my way this is gonna be another one!
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
Hollywood does Tintin
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 10:35:02 PM »
The Captain here sums up my feelings on the matter better than any words ever could:

I don't know why Hollywood would even want to do this. They are usually so obsessed with catering only to an American audience (even though pretty much the whole world watches their films). And the Americans don't even know Tintin. It never took off there. No European comics ever did. The Yanks already had Superman and Batman and all that, they didn't need our stupid stuff.

Offline Big Guy

• Librarian
Hollywood does Tintin
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 10:48:13 PM »
I believe that there has already been a live action Tintin done (I think) in the seventies or early eighties.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
Hollywood does Tintin
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 10:50:41 PM »
Okay, I've calmed down now.  Thinking about it, if they could make a decent stab at "Coke en Stock" I'd be happy. I think it's my favourite. Perhaps because it's the first one I read, or perhaps it's cause of all the cool WWII kit in it.

It also has a U-Boat, which I couldn't find a bigger picture of.

What's more, Arabs (mostly, though they are led by a Greek) are the bad guys and the United States Navy saves the day, so it would be the perfect one to sell to the US cinema-going public. In fact Hergé purposefully made the Yanks the saviours to try and break the American market.

It also has Haddock's finest hour, where he duels with the U-Boat in a merchantman (the pic of him in my earlier post is from that part) and Tintin shoots down a Mozzie with an AK-47.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Hollywood does Tintin
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 11:33:38 PM »
I can't put up with the thought of Hollywood sullying yet another thing I hold dear, so I'm going to keep an open mind until the movie is out: If it's bad, I shall instantly switch to ignoring it's existence.

So for now, here's hoping it turns out well. If they can get the period and the feel right, I shall welcome a whole series of movies.

...Bruckheimer doesn't work with DreamWorks, right?
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline tabletop

• Librarian
    • http://www.tabletop-terrain.com
Hollywood does Tintin
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 02:20:10 AM »
I agree with Rhoderic's attitude!

There is an infinitesimal chance this movie won't be terrible but if it is I'll happily apply blinkers and ignore it.

Presumably Spielberg grew up with Tintin like the rest of us and I'd hazard a guess and say Tintin is one of the many influences behind the Raiders movies.

So hopefully he'll at least treat the material with respect...
Tabletop Terrain Gaming in 28 and 15mm!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Hollywood does Tintin
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 08:15:21 AM »
I have to say I never really followed TinTin perhaps it was more popular in mainland Europe or just too much competition with Disney and Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry when I was a kid.

on the books front I was more your  Classic Treasure Island type kiddy. I do agree however that Hollywood does murder most of our childhood heroes at the cinema whether made "all USA" politically correct, updated for the current audience or just deviated by the director/writer.

It will be interesting to see.

Offline Le matou rouge

• Mad Scientist
Hollywood does Tintin
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 09:01:19 AM »
Quote from: "Big Guy"
I believe that there has already been a live action Tintin done (I think) in the seventies or early eighties.

Yes, two movies, but in the sixties :
- Tintin et le mystère de la Toison d'Or (1961) [Tintin and the Mystery of the Golden Fleece]
- Tintin et les oranges bleues (1964) [Tintin and the Blue Oranges]

The only movies of Jean-Pierre Talbot :

The two stories are originals, but a lot of scenes are picked up from the books, and all the characters & "design" are very accurate.

(Not a lot of) more pics here

Meow,
Matt
We are the Village Green Preservation Society
We are the Sherlock Holmes English Speaking Vernacular
Help save Fu Manchu, Moriarty and Dracula
Ray Davies

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
Hollywood does Tintin
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 09:08:03 AM »
How about Simon Pegg as Tintin? Too old, perhaps. But he looks a bit like him.

Offline W.B.Kurgan

• Scientist
Hollywood does Tintin
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 10:38:06 AM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
How about Simon Pegg as Tintin? Too old, perhaps. But he looks a bit like him.

That could work!  :lol:

Mein Flugzeug ist kaputt!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Hollywood does Tintin
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 12:42:48 PM »
Scary, really...  :o

He´d have to let go of that facial hair, or whatever he calls this abomination. :lol:

I guess the main problem of the Tintin animated movies and series is that they have to strike a balance between faithfully capturing the inherently static "ligne claire" style and giving convincing sense of movement.

I actually liked the animated series, like most Nelvana co-productions (loved their "Babar" series as a kid). And the German voice actors were not bad at all - Haddock was a bit stiff, but proper in his cursing and alcohol-impregnated tone. I guess Tintin was the hardest to properly voicedub, since all other characters are rather stereotypical.

Never seen those live-action ones, though. Wonder if they were ever dubbed to German, but somehow, it looks a bit scary, and Haddock´s beard looks false. ;) :lol: