Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:38:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689715
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tartofsky's "Stalker"  (Read 1212 times)

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Tartofsky's "Stalker"
« on: April 20, 2019, 09:23:13 PM »
I am curious as to whether anyone has watched this 2 hour + film and what you thought of it.  It is difficult to find an English dubbed or subtitled version unless you are willing to buy, and I am not sure it is worth it.  I was intrigued when I realized that the film was made almost 10 years before Chernobyl, yet its mysterious "Zone", seems to have all the trappings of what has come after 1986.

Online Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
Re: Tartofsky's "Stalker"
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 10:36:35 PM »
I saw it. I tried to assess it without reference to the Chernobyl Incident, the PC games, "Roadside Picnic"... As you said, it was made well before any of that. So in that light, I took it (partly) to be a commentary on the meaninglessness of Soviet Secular Atheism and its efforts to quarantine/suppress any notion of transcendence or a spiritual/religious element to existence. The Zone is a place where there's life, color, beauty, mystery, meaning. Even in the ordinary things all around us. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 11:59:05 AM by Dentatus »

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 11:16:54 PM »
Well it sounds like it might worth spending two hours watching it.  The fact that it was made long before Chernobyl happened really intrigued me.

Offline ecurtz

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 12:20:53 AM »
If you're in the US (and probably elsewhere?) you can stream it from Amazon or YouTube. I haven't seen the newly restored version, but it's a beautiful film, so it should look amazing. Highly recommended as long as you're ok with slow, meditative stuff.

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 12:51:40 AM »
I really enjoyed the restored version. It makes for a fast three hours. I know I wouldn't have enjoyed the film as much without also having first read the sci-fi novella, 'A Roadside Picnic' by the Strugatsky brothers.

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 05:05:25 AM »
Tartovsky is visually self-indulgent to the point of self parody. The film is needlessly slow and long winded. The endless and endlessly pretentious dialog is a millstone around the audience’s neck. The plot is swiss cheese, at best.

BUT ...

... somehow I really enjoyed watching it. I honestly think it is intellectually vacuous. Every square inch of Stalker is style over substance. The style is so good, however, that is sustains the sense of a mysterious journey.