Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:19:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689593
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28MM Pirate Refuge aka modified Skullvane Manse WIP/April 30: More detail added  (Read 5349 times)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
About a decade ago Citadel released their Skullvane Manse, Lair of the Astromancer.  As is the case with all of their stuff it was covered with skulls (huge skulls, big skulls, medium skulls, tiny skulls… lots, and lots of skulls), but at its core, sans skulls, it was/is a beautiful piece of terrain.  I bought it.  Approximately the same time I came upon a wonderful, scratch-built diorama entitled “Piraten.”  I loved it, but knew I did not have the skill to scratch build something of that quality.  That said, I immediately recognized that the Skullvane Manse could be my road to my version of “Piraten.”  They share the same basic shape… two rock outcroppings that form a V.  On one arm of the V was a telescope/observatory (the Manse) or a gun platform (“Piraten”).   On the other arm of the V were small buildings on both the Manse and the “Piraten” version.  Since my goal was to create a pirate refuge on a rock in the sea, I set aside the observatory in favor of a gun platform.   I kept the first level or story of the observatory structure to serve as the base for my gun platform.   I also spent a lot of time removing small skulls and covering large ones with Milliput in the shape of rock.  Thus my project began…

IMG_2648 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_2649 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_2651 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_2652 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 04:27:28 AM by War In 15MM »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: 28MM Pirate Refuge aka modified Skullvane Manse WIP
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2019, 03:23:31 AM »
I shouldn't be surprised you'd do something like this, but I am. A promising start.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 04:55:38 AM »
Great start (removing the skullz) Looking forward to seeing this with some paint on.

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 09:32:32 AM »
What a great repurposing!  A great start.

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 11:00:35 AM »
Following with interest, looks to be brilliant!

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 11:37:40 AM »
Great idea!
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 12:26:33 AM »
I live in hope.  Plan to have the base/the rocky isle done very soon.  Thanks for writing.  Hope you will stay tuned.

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 03:44:31 AM »
Excellent!  I look forward to seeing this project develop, and I applaud your de-skullification efforts.

-Michael

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 04:06:42 AM »
Yo Ho, indeed.  Even more pirate-ecy stuff from Richard!   Have you swung back to revamping a collection or is this a 'stand alone' treat in the making, Sir Richard?  (Anyone with two spreads in the trades ought to be a Sir at least once.  lol)

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 05:14:18 AM »
Thanks to you both for writing.  This is a project that has long been on my mind and one that I have put off many times for fear of failing.  But I think I have a good plan and by that I mean one that I can do and that will also serve as my "Piraten." 
FifteensAway, I have never stopped loving the pirates.  When I finished my large pirate gallery a good many years ago now, I found myself discovering that there were pirate things/treasures I wanted to add to my collection.  And so over the years since I finished that gallery I have added to my pirate collection (not to that gallery) a kraken, a whale, a sea serpent, a series I call life in the governor's mansion, and an island encampment.  But with all that there remained my dream of a pirate refuge, my "Piraten."  So when I finished working on the Boxer Rebellion and then on my Dr. Who collection I looked around for what would be next and I was drawn to the Skullvane Manse and the pirate refuge.  I plan to have the rock isle base posted tomorrow, and the completed project posted by the end of the week.  But that said, I hope that new pirate projects will always knock on the door of my imagination... my copy of Treasure Island is never far way.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 08:21:01 AM »
I am always excited to see a pirate theme! You are a doing a great job here! Very inspiring construction, eager to see your project completed! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
As I indicated previously this pirate refuge sits on a rock in the sea.  Consequently I needed a rock in the sea for it to sit on.  I accomplished this by using Duplos as a base and covering them with Milliput to give the base the rock face I required.

The manse also comes with a broken arched ramp or bridge that leads out of the housing side of the refuge complex on the second floor.  The ramp goes nowhere, but it looks good so I kept it.  One side of it sits on the rock isle and the other side sits on rock supports just beneath the water… to accomplish this I added some Legos to give the side not on the rock isle the added length needed to reach the water and covered those Legos with Milliput.  IMG_2652a by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_2656 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_2657 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_2657a by Richard Garretson, on Flickr

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
Love it so far  :-*

Offline bergschotten

• Scientist
Great stuff-love the use of lego/duplo

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
DintheDin, bergschotten, and Lord Raglan, thanks for writing and the kind words about the project.  I hope to have the last of the detail pieces done posted today or tomorrow.  Then the painting begins.  I hope to have that all done by the end of the week.
Lord Raglan, I love your "Louis XIV" post.  Great work.
Richard
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 04:50:59 PM by War In 15MM »