Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:37:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28MM Pirate Refuge aka modified Skullvane Manse WIP/April 30: More detail added  (Read 5354 times)

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
Great idea!  My children’s Lego is no longer safe!  :D

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain

Even unfinished it look WAY better that the original model!!!  lol :-* ;D
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Even unfinished it look WAY better that the original model!!!  lol :-* ;D

+1!!! Eager to see it painted!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
On the side of the refuge opposite the bridge there is another door at ground/rock level.  It leads out to a wharf that I purchased years ago from Miniature Building Authority.  I’m not sure if it is still in production.  Sitting at that wharf is a small sailboat by Kobbelstone.  It’s a beautiful boat, and I was extremely fortunate to get it because it is not one of the items that Kobbelstone lists for sale.  I saw it as part of one of their showcase photos and asked about it at the time I was purchasing a lot of their Middle Eastern buildings (they make beautiful buildings).  The owner informed me that it was not one of their normal products, but he would send one along as a gift for being such a good customer.   
The last details I added to the refuge were some more Milliput to the base to give it a bit more shape.  I also added a Milliput cell window with Plastruct bars and a plastic hand (originally belonged to a Mantic/Kings of War zombie… he won’t miss it) reaching out from the cell.  The final detail was a GW gibbet cage hanging from an Evergreen plastic beam by a rope of floral wire.   All that remains is the painting.
IMG_2657b by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_2659 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_2662 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
Once again, thank you all for writing, and I'm glad you like the project.  The further I get into it the more comfortable I am with how it is going.
Friends of General Haig, taking your children's Legos is an act of keeping the wonderful memories alive... just in a different form.
I plan to have the painted manse/refuge posted by the end of the week.
Richard

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
Friends of General Haig, taking your children's Legos is an act of keeping the wonderful memories alive... just in a different form.
:D

Also love the small sailing boat.

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
That boat is a great piece... an example why it is a good idea to ask a question about something you see in a display but can't find on the list of merchandise being sold.  I think it is perfect for the refuge... reminds me a little of Jack Sparrow and the open scene of the first Pirates of the Caribbean film.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Great idea and top work so far.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline chema1986

• Scientist
I love this thread!

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
chema1986 and Lost Egg, thanks for taking the time to write and for the kind words.  I plan to have the finished/painted pirate refuge done and posted today or tomorrow.  Hope you will check it out and let me know what you think.  By the way I have read that GW is re-releasing the Skullvane Manse in November under a new name.   Richard

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
This is probably a good time to mention that the manse, arched bridge or ramp, wharf, and base are all separate pieces.  I did this to allow both ease of painting and easier storage as well.  It’s a big piece when all together: 13 inches tall, 12 inches wide (left to right across the base), and 15 inches front to back (from the end of the bridge to the end of the wharf).  In painting the manse/pirate refuge, I kept the color scheme simple… Vallejo greys, browns, tans, beige, black and natural steel.  I added a little Vallejo yellow green to the tan and light grey to highlight the shingles and the rock/stone on the base.   After years of thinking about this project and wondering if I could achieve the look I wanted, the Skullvane Manse proved to be just the road I needed to get to my “Piraten.”
IMG_2664 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_2665 by Richard Garretson, on FlickrIMG_2670 by Richard Garretson, on Flickr

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
You are painting quickly and efficiently to reach an astonishing result!
Your adding bits here and there, plus the base, the boat and the wharf, enhanced so much the initial model!
How I would like to play a pirate game with this as a centerpiece!
Beautiful! Beautiful!  :-*
Many congrats!!!

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Looks cracking sir!

Offline War In 15MM

• Scatterbrained Genius
DintheDin and Lost Egg, thank you very much for the kind words and taking the time to write.  Much appreciated.  It was a great project to do and despite having to deal with (hide and destroy) all the skulls, the Skullvane Manse was the perfect piece to work with for someone like me who couldn't have done it from scratch.  Richard

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
Great job buddy, I really like the look of that piece. You have inspired me to add a lighthouse to my sea view  ;)