Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:48:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690457
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ordenstaat in SAGA - how do you find them?  (Read 924 times)

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Ordenstaat in SAGA - how do you find them?
« on: April 21, 2019, 06:08:43 PM »
Hoping this is an OK place to post this...

I've been getting into Saga quite a lot recently with my gaming group, and am having an absolute blast of a time. It's a great, fun little system, not as tactically complex as Kings of War perhaps but very entertaining and cinematic in that way that hero-centric battles often are (I've probably turned off a certain crowd of wargamers from ever trying it out with that last sentence). However, I've hit a bit of a speed bump in my enjoyment, as everyone in my group is getting to know their battle boards better and better.

Ordenstaat, I'm finding, have a wonderfully thematic and very cool looking battle board that is...pretty poor in terms of actual gameplay. One ability - Nach Osten - is definitely a potential game changer due to the ability to shift your entire army for free; Slay the Pagans is also potentially extremely good; Tyrants and Martial Pride are both solid but not overpowered abilities that can help your heavy hitters inflict punishment.

However, compared to other factions, there simply isn't much else. All our powerful abilities involve inflicting fairly heavy casualties on our Levies, which is usually not a good idea as you risk losing Saga dice as a result once they drop below the 6 model threshold. And even if you keep your Levies in large blobs, a smart opponent can still really hamstring you by knocking out your Levies early.

Anyone been finding any success with Ordenstaat? Perhaps using some of the mercenary units? I've found taking a War Banner and a Priest mitigates our complete lack of fatigue-clearing abilities, but we're still a far cry from the tactical flexibility other factions like the Crusaders (or even Normans) enjoy. I don't mind running a slightly underpowered faction but I do dislike how Ordenstaat feel like they're missing a bit of depth other factions have. This is ironically the same reason I stopped playing Vikings - very strong faction but boring to play with.

Be keen to hear others' thoughts!
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords