Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:59:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Question re Dragon Rampant House Rule  (Read 766 times)

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Question re Dragon Rampant House Rule
« on: April 22, 2019, 04:24:50 AM »
The Dux Rampant site seems very quiet so I thought I may have a better chance of an answer here.
There were some unofficial rules /house rules about flanks and ignoring the 3" rule for friendly units.
My main issue is with the latter.

If friendly units can be within 3" of each other but enemy units can't be within 3" how does this impact on units immediately after combat?

I have a line of three units and an enemy attacks the middle one defeating it.  Usually that unit would fall back and the victorious enemy unit would stay put.  But if the enemy stays where it is he will be within 3" of the other two units, which isn't allowed.  Does the victor also need to fall back?  How does this work if a smaller unit (strength 6 or reduced figure unit) has friends either side and is being contacted by a larger unit which would then contact the friendly units either side?   Does this rule change only work if all units have the same footprint?

Offline Abbner Home

• Scientist
Re: Question re Dragon Rampant House Rule
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 08:51:17 PM »
I've played a lot of DR and we always ignore the 3" proximity rule in favor of a 1" proximity.  We've never had any problems.

But I should point out I only play for fun with my grade-school age sons and/or the players in my RPG group who are not hard-core mini gamers.

Offline Big Martin Back

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 09:07:21 PM »
We tend to ignore the 3 inch rule as well. One inch is much more practical with the larger sized games we go for.
Tutenes, Atque Cujus Exercitus?

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 11:07:05 PM »
The Dux Rampant site seems very quiet so I thought I may have a better chance of an answer here.
There were some unofficial rules /house rules about flanks and ignoring the 3" rule for friendly units.
My main issue is with the latter.

If friendly units can be within 3" of each other but enemy units can't be within 3" how does this impact on units immediately after combat?

I have a line of three units and an enemy attacks the middle one defeating it.  Usually that unit would fall back and the victorious enemy unit would stay put.  But if the enemy stays where it is he will be within 3" of the other two units, which isn't allowed.  Does the victor also need to fall back?  How does this work if a smaller unit (strength 6 or reduced figure unit) has friends either side and is being contacted by a larger unit which would then contact the friendly units either side?   Does this rule change only work if all units have the same footprint?
I think if you are going to reduce the proximity rule for friendly units then you have to do the same for enemy units just for the reasons that you site. If not then I would suggest that a unit must make an effort to extract itself from proximity of an enemy unit or Attack it on it's next activation if the opposing unit/s haven't already changed the situation by either attacking the unit in question or moving away.

Interestingly,  Pikeman's Lament  does allow 1" between friendly units and 3" between enemy units. I don't think it has come up in the few games I have played though. As you are allowed to fudge movement a bit to honour the cohesion rules I would suggest you do the same with the proximity rule. After all, once a single model is in contact with the enemy, all models in both units fight so the attacker could be in a conga line and it wouldn't affect melee- it would just look weird. o_o