Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:57:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Billy-no-Mates...  (Read 9160 times)

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
Re: Billy-no-Mates...
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2019, 01:16:07 PM »
I actually really enjoy my solo war gaming, Harry, I’m sorry you don’t feel the same. For me I get to exercise my imagination even further when the wee brain is thrashing away at itself. It would be nice to game with others but at the same time I’m then stuck waiting on convenient timings and being a nice person  ;D

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2019, 02:23:52 PM »
Your plight may get me to break down and work on a solo version of FfoL.

Online armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2019, 08:30:20 PM »
I have done solo wargaming where the enemy are auto activated in the Pony Wars/Sands of Sudan style and that’s good fun.

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2019, 09:52:10 PM »
Your plight may get me to break down and work on a solo version of FfoL

ooh, yes please
No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2019, 11:26:54 PM »
Good news is, one of my old wargame cronies is coming over to stay a couple of days in early December. So there’ll be a proper, traditional Crimbo Wargame with Psycho Santa putting in his usual appearance.

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2020, 06:28:34 AM »
Perfect Birfday prezzie from Herself to bring a tad more ambiance to the New Emporium at the Seaside!

:-*

Online armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2020, 08:00:17 PM »
That looks great  :)

SWMBO refuses to buy me anything hobby related apart from the odd book. I did get some paints once which was something  lol

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2020, 10:39:58 PM »
Thanks, I'm chuffed to bits with it. Herself's a crafter and seems to instinctively know wot will fit.

:-*

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2022, 08:38:55 AM »
Don't think Bob's too impressed with the Parachute Regiment's new headgear!

:-[

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2022, 09:51:08 AM »
I realise this is some years too late (I hadn't seen this thread before), but to answer your original question about recommendations what to do in that situation, I can only offer my own observations. I've been a "billy no-mates" ever since I first went to school, so solo-gaming for me is the norm, rather than the exception.

I started getting interested in wargaming about a decade ago, and in that time I have had a bit of success wargaming via video-conference, with the occasional far-away friend I've made. I set up the game on my table, with two opposing forces, put a webcam on a tripod facing the table, then I call up my friend on Skype/Zoom/whatever, and let him order the troops around and I do all the physical movement. It's not perfect, but better than nothing at all.

However, my family life is rather too busy for that now, so I have resorted to solo wargaming in the brief windows of time I can snatch it (few and far between). Some wargames cater for solo play, but for ones which don't, I've tended to -- Gollum style -- play both sides, switching personalities between turns:

Works a treat!

Just kidding; it's really boring. Games designed for solo play are probably the best bet.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 09:53:15 AM by tikitang »
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2022, 06:11:11 AM »
Well, being three years along your journey to the seaside, how is it going as far as having gaming mates in your own vicinity?  Or are you still relegated to the rare visit from your old chums?

Also, and you are well along this path, an alternative to 'solo' play is setting up games, taking photos and posting up narratives for others to enjoy - and you to refer back to - showing off your figures and your sense of humor and adventure. 

There is more to this hobby than just the games - though that does bring in the best part of the social aspect (and can, sometimes, lead to the worst of the social element).  But most of our hobby time is of a solo nature anyway.  The research, buying, painting, basing, terrain building can all be purely solo (or not for some) and only the actual game brings in others.  And those solo elements can be 10:1 or even 20:1 against the game time.

Hope you've tumbled to some local gaming friends who provide some entertainment on the gaming front at least somewhat regularly.