Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:37:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gurkha Dilemma  (Read 5407 times)

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
Gurkha Dilemma
« on: April 23, 2019, 04:25:46 PM »
I am making some progress with my Sikh Wars project and I really want a couple of units of Gurkhas. I dont really like the old Foundry, New Studio or Mutineer miniatures figures (I know I am picky) mainly because they have caps and I ideally want a bell top shako. I considered converting Perry Carlist war British in bell top shakoes but they have too much equipment and adding moustaches and importantly Kukris seems a lot aof hard work. Iron Duke may be bringing some out in the future but again will probably have caps.

So whats the hive minds thoughts on this? Does anyone do seperate covered shakos I could use for instance?

Let me know what you think.
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Gurkha Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 09:02:53 PM »
During both Sikh wars, Gurkhas wore a green rifle uniform that differed only slightly from that worn by regular HEIC regiments. The shako they used was peaked however. The men were also generally shorter of stature, but I'm not sure you want to try and represent that in 28mm. Despite their uniform and contrary to popular belief, both Gurkha battalions were also armed with standard issue smoothbore muskets rather than rifles in the 1840's, which at least solves one of your problems

I'd go with the Foundry HEIC flank company sepoys (BRV 133) as they already have the shoulder wings and add greeen stuff peaks to the shako (fussy, I know, but I can't think of another solution). The buttonhole lace down the front of the coat is largely hidden by the arms and the musket, meaning you won't have to worry about it.

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/sikh-wars-1846-46-1848-49/products/brv133-bengal-or-bombay-infantry-in-shako-advancing-flank-company

As for the kukri, don't you know someone who can sculpt one for you and cast it ? All you'd have to do then is stick it on the figure. 

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 09:51:23 PM »
I like your thinking Arthur. I would prefer a covered Shako but other than that worth considering, the Kukri I can perhaps make some enquiries.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 09:57:57 PM »
Thinking about it would it be easier to use a bit of green stuff to create the look of a shako cover and add a Kukri to these fellas? Carlist Wars British Marines.

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/oscthumb.php?src=/images/isa/ISA_59.jpg&w=540&h=201.34285714286&f=jpg&q=95&hash=bb8a04d5c5ea4a42aeb3ad9e809aacb3

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 12:01:44 AM »
I suppose they'll do if they are your preferred miniatures. You'll still have to create the wings with putty as marines wore brass epaulettes, add mustaches and work a bit on the shako plate, though none of it could be considered major surgery. This is the look you're after (anonymous watercolour dated 1834 and depicting men of the Sabathu - later Sirmoor - battalion, from the National Army Museum archives) :

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 08:28:02 AM »
nice one cheers.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 06:33:10 PM »
Heres what I had in mind, but with musket rather than rifle.

20190424_183954 by Roger Castle, on Flickr

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 09:51:10 PM »
Just an idea for you
How about Orinocco Minis,they have  British Legion troops in plain Tunics and covered bell top shako,armed with muskets in a variety of poses and in light kit.
However,you are still left with adding kukris and modelling shoulder wings.
Hope this helps,looking forward to what you come up with  :)

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 04:09:07 PM »
Greast minds Romark, I also looked at these, nice figures and light kit as you say. I just felt I would have to add a little too much. I decided to try Arthurs suggestion with a test figure using the Sepoys on shako and adding a peak (that was difficult) and a Kukri (surprisingly easy) will share an image shortly.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 05:24:07 PM »
Ok,no problem  :)
Will look forward to you posting up the conversion  :)

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 10:28:28 PM »
So here is the first test figure, not nearly as hard as I had thought. But ...... it it looks a bit boring to me. The peak is green stuff which was a pain, the sheathed kukri is just a spear head to give the shape I wanted. Adding a couple of guys with Kukris in hand will add soem flavour but I am not convinced. I will try another one using the same sculpt but with a covered shako probably using a plastic Chasseur a cheval head which conveniently comes with a moustache, see if that adds anything. Thoughts welcome.
IMG_20190425_173052 by Roger Castle, on Flickr

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 12:20:11 AM »
Well, he looks properly gurkha-ish to me. The trick with the green stuff shako peak - as with pretty much everything really - is to do enough to get the hang of it and make it a routine conversion.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2019, 04:39:59 AM »
Looks fine to me, nice job on him! :)

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2019, 07:05:58 AM »
That conversion went well    :-*
Agree about the pose,a unit of those would look a little staid,I always imagine a model Gurkha unit to be dynamically posed,charging around waving kukris or at least in attacking poses  :)
Looking forward to the head swop picture :)
oh! Just thought of something.
Iron Duke produces sepoys in bell top shakoes,charging,and with uniform wings,if you have mastered the peak and sheathed kukri thing they may be a viable option ?
Just an idea  :?
Cheers
Keith

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 07:59:02 AM »
Romark again great minds, those are exactly the figures I am looking at. Depending on whether I go for head swaps or peak additions depends on whether I get the shako's or covered caps (the caps left over are slightly more useful for other conversions I think.) Picking up some Chasseur a Cheval heads over the next few days so hope to have an example next week.

Having got the itch I also started messign about with conversions for govorner generals bodyguard cavalry, will share soem thoughts on converting Perry plastic British Light Drafgoons later.