Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:24:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SYW Honours of War - The battle of Georgsdorf  (Read 3726 times)

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
Re: SYW Honours of War - The battle of Georgsdorf
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2019, 03:15:09 AM »
A truly excellent report, and great looking game!!!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." - Richard Adams

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2019, 03:32:09 AM »
Dashedly fine stuff, Sir!

I really must dig out my SYW... They haven't seen daylight since the 90s!
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2019, 09:00:02 AM »
A truly excellent report, and great looking game!!!!!

Terry

Thanks for your good words! I'll be posting a report from time to time.
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2019, 09:03:17 AM »
Dashedly fine stuff, Sir!

I really must dig out my SYW... They haven't seen daylight since the 90s!

I'm happy that also this period is intriguing you! 
Let me believe that your SYW has the same painting standards with your ACW and Napoleonics.
Then this will be most wonderful news! I'll be very happy to see them in action! Cheers!

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2019, 02:06:00 PM »
I love the WAS & SYW and we did an EPIC 1740s campaign back in pre-internet days, communicating by post with the King of Prussia who lived in Bavaria and the King of Sweden, who kept getting deployed to Saudi Arabia with the RAF and the King of France who emigrated to New Zealand... It was a challenge...  We used a modified version of 'Shako' for the battles.

Sadly our 'Tsarina' threw his teddies out of the cot and sold his army when he was beaten by the Swedes and then our 'Maria-Theresa' went and shuffled off this mortal coil all too soon, so that killed our campaign somewhat.

I've got a heap of Prussians in 15mm (enough to do all the big battles at 1:50 - mostly Old Glory, with a couple of different generations of Lancashire Games) and reasonably-sized Reichsarmee and Swedish armies.  I used to paint all the flags in those days... Oh, to have a young man's eyes again...

I've also got the very large Austrian army that my late friend's wife gave to me after he passed.  He printed all his flags using a 1st generation bubblejet-printer though, so they all need re-flagging.  Everything is also gloss-varnished, so a bit rubbish for photography.  I'll have to give them a mass matt spray-varnishing...

You've got me enthused now... Now where did I put Shako...?  :D

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2019, 02:32:41 PM »
I feel so sorry hearing that you lost a good friend... We have lost also good wargaming friends, it is always a sad thing to remember joyful moments you have passed together. But life goes on. Period.

Ah! Those pre-internet days! We had attempted a similar campaign, but playing DBM with Abbasid Arabs, Byzantines, Khazars, Bulgars etc around 800 AD. When some of the players felt that were losing, they let the game down, so the campaign remained unfinished.
I had also devised an exciting ACW campaign with my 10mm minis in the Shenandoah valley, but it seems that Jackson mystified their opponents too soon  ;), the Union players, after losing two or three initial battles denied to continue, although reinforcements were on the way and they always had numerical superiority.
After these experiences I have been reluctant to enter any campaign proposal from any other friend.

Did I really enthuse you? I feel great!!! I'll be extremely glad to see your armies!
As I am in holidays now (this Sunday Orthodox Easter), I promise to post a more intriguing SYW scenario, as soon as possible!

Cheers!
Dinos

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2019, 02:44:43 PM »
In order to give a bigger boost to your enthusiasm, please have a look at our Fontenoy game here

http://honoursofwar.com/thread/623/fontenoy-1745-dindin

An other SYW and WAS pics of our armies at Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142494696@N04/albums

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2019, 04:55:43 PM »
Losing is all part of the fun, as far as I'm concerned!  Which is a good job really, or I'd have packed in the hobby 30 years ago... I don't think I've posted a single victory on my blog yet in 12 months!  lol

As I always told my Minions: "It doesn't matter if we're rubbish, just as long as we're funny!"  Ironically, the little sods kept being the best at everything AND funny... ;)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2019, 04:59:21 PM »
In order to give a bigger boost to your enthusiasm, please have a look at our Fontenoy game here

http://honoursofwar.com/thread/623/fontenoy-1745-dindin

An other SYW and WAS pics of our armies at Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/142494696@N04/albums
The bloody work computer is blocking the photos, so I'll check that out when I get home tomorrow morning! :)

I'm stuck on night shifts all this weekend (painting 15mm Cold War Canadians and 10mm Rebs, so it's not all bad), but will dig out my SYW when I come off shift next week.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2019, 05:02:32 PM »
Losing is part of the fun!
I completely agree.
I also use to post in relevant forums my chess losses, especially if I had fought bravely  :D
What matters is not the end, what matters is the trip itself.

I strongly hope that you'll be able to see the photos, I'm sure you'll enjoy them!

Good luck to your projects, your 10mm ACW thread is great!
Cheers!

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2019, 11:38:20 AM »
Heyhey,

Sorry for the late reply! Thanks for the heads up and for sharing this great battle report. It looks magnificent. Seems like the Honours of War rules work well for you. I really like the look of your gaming table too. Great colour and texture. Speaking of which - haven't seen this kind of mat used for fields before (the bathroom floor kind?). Looks very good though.

So did George enjoy the game and when will you play again? :D

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2019, 05:57:43 PM »
Heyhey,

Sorry for the late reply! Thanks for the heads up and for sharing this great battle report. It looks magnificent. Seems like the Honours of War rules work well for you. I really like the look of your gaming table too. Great colour and texture. Speaking of which - haven't seen this kind of mat used for fields before (the bathroom floor kind?). Looks very good though.

So did George enjoy the game and when will you play again? :D

Hi Sigur!
It is always nice to see you dropping by!
Honours of War is a simple ruleset, yet it provides much enjoyment and feeling of the period!
I'm glad you liked the game.
The gaming table is a three 4'x2' pieces board made by a good chap in the club several years before.
Bathroom floor, indeed  lol
For tomorrow we will play a colonial game, I don't know if George will be with us to play SYW for next week.
Eager to see another "Sigur goes South" game of yours! Cheers!

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2019, 07:54:48 PM »
Good to see you getting in so many great games!

Yeah, the next campaign game in our ACW campaign is already planned. :) First battle of 1863!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2019, 08:08:20 PM »
This is excellent news!!!
The same gaming table, used for my ACW ruleset